My lack of amateur fighting experience is impacting my confidence

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Go at a MA school, watch their class. At the end of the class, ask a student if he wants to spar with you outside of his class.
I would just ask the teacher or whoever is in charge of the school. Just be honest. Say you are training to work on your boxing skills and would like to do so with any of the students he has who wish to train their martial arts against boxing. Try to build a relationship with the school. Put it out there as an opportunity and then 4 or 5 months you may get a few students to train against.

The only downside is that now you have to deal with kicks and that will change up your boxing footwork. Ever since Kung Fu Master vs MMA drama. A lot of TMA schools are looking for opportunity to train against other styles of fighting.

OP
Ivan

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am sorry about this post. I was having a mental breakdown while writing it due to some issues I've been dealing with in my life, and I think I got carried away. Reading back on it I regret ever posting it. I think that a possible concussion from some sparring last night was causing me to act up a bit too, and this coupled with my hypochondria caused me to have a panic attack in the middle of the night - I haven't had these in over a year.

I am going to seek a therapist and professional help. I am also not going to be sparring at this kickboxing gym for a long, long time, and thanks again to everyone for their advice. Sorry if I caused concern.

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am going to seek a therapist and professional help. I am also not going to be sparring at this kickboxing gym for a long, long time, and thanks again to everyone for their advice. Sorry if I caused concern.
This is not in the sense of normal internet bickering/backtalk, but a genuine comment:

Both of those sound like good ideas. I hope you can find someone to help you with any issues your having, possibly also help you figure out your goals a bit better, and I am very glad you are not going to keep training somewhere that very clearly abuses their students for the purpose of "Toughness"

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am sorry about this post. I was having a mental breakdown while writing it due to some issues, and reading back on it I regret ever posting it.
No need to regret it. Life happens. Everyone goes through issues of some sort. Better to get it out than to keep it in.

I think that a possible concussion from some sparring last night
Spar lighter. You can't afford to have a concussion every time you make a mistake. Either that or train with a partner that isn't going to tee up on your head just because they see they can nail you in the head.

I am going to seek a therapist and professional help.
Awesome. That you are going and that you don't mind being open about it. Maybe you'll inpsire some others to do the same.

Sorry if I caused concern.
Never apologize when people care about your well being. I know a few people who I would tell to train at that kickboxing gym simply because I know it wouldn't be good for them. lol.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am sorry about this post. I was having a mental breakdown while writing it due to some issues I've been dealing with in my life, and I think I got carried away. Reading back on it I regret ever posting it. I think that a possible concussion from some sparring last night was causing me to act up a bit too, and this coupled with my hypochondria caused me to have a panic attack in the middle of the night - I haven't had these in over a year.

Really sorry to hear of your struggles at the moment mate. Awesome to hear you're getting help for it, it shows such strength to reach out for help, not weakness.

Use your martial arts for healing yourself, not destroying yourself. It can be one of the best therapies out there. Take care of yourself brother.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Ivan,
I have thoroughly enjoyed following your journey. It has been a joy to read about your growth.

Reading the OP for the first time, I read a lot of impatience and a person in too much of a hurry. You cannot rush the process. I suspect this is what is happening between you and your coaches. They are trying to moderate your training so that your body and mental development are on the same track. In other words, going through the maturation process. Believe me when I say competitive fighting is much more than just a physical thing.

You need to step back and take a breath. Clearly, the coaches had/have had your safety in mind. Bouncing around from coach to coach will not get it done. You have to build a confidence with a coach before they will suggest you get in the ring. Not tell them you are ready for a fight, when clearly you are not. That is how people get permanently hurt.

You have brushed across a good bit of material the last few years and clearly have been exercising. But can you really say you have reached depth in any one area? Something to think about.

letsplaygames

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Experience... is the key to prowess.
Try to spar as often as you can. (swim in the biggest ponds you can)

10% of what you read on the internet is written by someone who actually knows what they are doing.

the rest.... garbage.

With Martial arts... if they strictly talk mechanics... they don't know. (a lot are incent, nice guys, and don't know that they don't know) So much of achieving prowess... is based in the metaphysical, mastery of timing, tempo... range etc.. and the real mastery comes in figuring on the fly... how to manipulate your opponent's.

that's why a boxer using 5 techniques can get it done. (it's not the mechanics)

Competition wise.. All that is moot if you don't find yourself. You might think your a range fighter, but in all actuality you excel in close, might think yourself a grappler, but in all reality you really excel at striking.

and remember .... Everybody is a master on the internet.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I plan to buy a 22lbs weighted vest and start doing my sessions with it to make it harder and get my movement speed up, and perhaps taping my mouth during my weight training to increase lung capacity.
Weighted vest yes. Taped mouth, no. The best way to improve your lung capacity is to breathe nasally, using the diaphragm.

Also increases your life capacity. The breathing.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Use your martial arts for healing yourself, not destroying yourself.

Weighted vest yes. Taped mouth, no. The best way to improve your lung capacity is to breathe nasally, using the diaphragm.

Also increases your life capacity. The breathing.
I'm not sure a weighted vest would help at this point. I wouldn’t wear one until the body mechanics and footwork is solid.

He's getting nailed by a faster fighter and getting Ko'd. Sometimes I'm thinking he's getting hit in the head too often an not in a guarded way. If I saw that as a coach then I wouldn't put that fighter in a match and I would feel very hesitant to let him do any hard sparring. With that in mind I don't think the vest will work.

He doesn't have a coach so he's probably not learn any strategies and he's not getting coached on how to respond, attack, and defend.

I'm training my son how to use Jow Ga. We aren't sparring but he got 3 lectures last night on why I'm teaching him how to throw elbows a certain way. I explained it from the perspective of him attacking and his opponent responding. I explained to him how to defend while attacking and about using one hand to control the heavy bad an how that applied to fighting an opponent. Ivan isn't getting that level of coaching Not even from us. As a result, he's going to miss a lot of valuable information and concepts that others have learn through experience and their own development.

I wouldn't mind doing distant coaching for him and take him under my wing but he'll need a lot of patience and trust in the training. He'll also have to learn Jow Ga because I don't teach boxing. He'll learn about fighting but not much about boxing. That's the only reason I haven't offered it to him.

He has some skills but he'll have to accept that he will need to start over from the beginning if he wants to be coached. Any coach of quality that he seeks is going to have him start from step on. It's the only way the coach knows without question about his fundamentals.

How fast Ivan moves through the beginner phase depends on how tight his fundamentals are.

I still wouldn't train at that abusive school lol.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure a weighted vest would help at this point. I wouldn’t wear one until the body mechanics and footwork is solid.

He's getting nailed by a faster fighter and getting Ko'd. Sometimes I'm thinking he's getting hit in the head too often an not in a guarded way. If I saw that as a coach then I wouldn't put that fighter in a match and I would feel very hesitant to let him do any hard sparring. With that in mind I don't think the vest will work.

He doesn't have a coach so he's probably not learn any strategies and he's not getting coached on how to respond, attack, and defend.

I'm training my son how to use Jow Ga. We aren't sparring but he got 3 lectures last night on why I'm teaching him how to throw elbows a certain way. I explained it from the perspective of him attacking and his opponent responding. I explained to him how to defend while attacking and about using one hand to control the heavy bad an how that applied to fighting an opponent. Ivan isn't getting that level of coaching Not even from us. As a result, he's going to miss a lot of valuable information and concepts that others have learn through experience and their own development.

I wouldn't mind doing distant coaching for him and take him under my wing but he'll need a lot of patience and trust in the training. He'll also have to learn Jow Ga because I don't teach boxing. He'll learn about fighting but not much about boxing. That's the only reason I haven't offered it to him.

He has some skills but he'll have to accept that he will need to start over from the beginning if he wants to be coached. Any coach of quality that he seeks is going to have him start from step on. It's the only way the coach knows without question about his fundamentals.

How fast Ivan moves through the beginner phase depends on how tight his fundamentals are.

I still wouldn't train at that abusive school lol.
Hence the weighted blanket. Did I say blanket? I meant vest.

Latest Discussions