Fusho-Satori-Ryu

Bester

<font color=blue><B>Grand UberSoke, Sith-jutsu Ryu
Reaction score
I've heard it said that some magazines will accept content from anyone, fact checking not allowed. Considering some of what I've seen in a few mainstream ones, I believe it.

Bester

<font color=blue><B>Grand UberSoke, Sith-jutsu Ryu
Reaction score
Can we please reopen Horror Stories and move this there?
Please?

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
Mr. Calkins,

You seem to have missed the above in between all the other questions. I really would like to know about the person who taught you what he claimed was Black Star Ninjitsu.
Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Black Star Ninjutsu the Style of ninjutsu the Clone Ninjas in American Ninja (uhhhh 3) used?

In other words, a made up style of Movie ninjutsu?

OP
Akashiro Tamaya

Akashiro Tamaya

Green Belt
Reaction score
SokeCalkins said:
I am an Executive Chef and if I open a resturant and sell Mexican food do I have to get permission from the Mexican Government??
I never claim that my style came from Japan. I only claim that the roots of all Martial Arts including my own came from the same spring as all other Martial Arts. and that All Martial Artist and Styles are Brothers. That is my claim. I use Karate because most of the styles I learned were Karate. Eventhough I did add some Kung-Fu to the system it is not on the top to show as much. My students find it built into the system. You show me one place where I claim to be a member of any Koryo Budo. I state where my training came from and I teack a Basicly Japanese style with hints of American Kenpo, Chinese Kung-Fu, Thai Fighting and Ideas and groups of movements from Korean karate as well. That is why it is called a Blended Mixed Martial Arts system.

No you do not need permission from the mexican goverment to open a "mexican restaurant" This makes a great interesting question back to you.

Will you claimed your restaurant serving authentic Mexican food ? Will you tell customers that you trained with many culinary greats in Mexico and will all the ingredients in your "authentic mexican dish " imported directly from mexico ?

You are not making claims on these forums that your are a member of koryu budo organization, but your are advertising to the general public that you are by flashing all things Japanese.

How can you claim lineage back to japan when you practically do not have the training and rank ? 37 years in the art you loved so much and yet the highest you have ever achieved is nidan ?

I am still curious as to which organization ranked you shodan in Aikido and Jujitsu ?

OP
Akashiro Tamaya

Akashiro Tamaya

Green Belt
Reaction score
SokeCalkins said:
Yami-Umi-Do was created By Mark Wagner based on Isshin-Ryu, Shotakan and Shorin Ryu. All he had ranks in and He also worked with Angi Uezu. When he FORMILIZED Tsunami-Ryu he had it done throught the help of the JKA.

You keep using this word " Formalized " or "Formilized" what exactly does this mean ? I'll repeat the question. Is Tsunami Ryu affiliated with the JKA (Japan Karate Association) ? and how did JKA assisted Tsunami Ryu ?

OP
Akashiro Tamaya

Akashiro Tamaya

Green Belt
Reaction score
SokeCalkins said:
First of all It is Calkins not Calkin... Also I never said that Ashida Kim wrote great books I said that he did great things for tha art. Look at David Caradine. He had very little training when he walk the world in Kung-Fu but it was great for the art. And yes I have bought some of his books in the past along with SK Hayes and others I have a wide libarary of matial arts books.

I apologized for spelling error of your name. :asian:

Mr. Calkins for a writer, you sir is the most misinformed and have the most innacurate facts of the martial arts considering you have a library at your disposal. It is a common knowledge that Ashida did more damage to the ninjutsu community reputation far more than you can imagine.

OP
Akashiro Tamaya

Akashiro Tamaya

Green Belt
Reaction score
SokeCalkins said:
I came to this site to share opinion and views It was me that people pointed at. I now where my art and training came from. I never asked you to prove your self. I respect your statements and Would never doubt you like you have done to me. I do not knoe you so I have no way to disprove anything you say.. But you seem to Know me. Have we met in a Past Life, Do you Watch me train through my Dojo Window....? How do you know me well enough to point fingers and say that what I do and who I am is fake...? You don't.

Mr Calkins, I do not have to prove anything as I never made any claimed of being a master or a Soke. In this day and age, The internet has made the martial arts community closer than before. Frauds and fakes alike are being exposed everyday.

No ! We have not met in the past life, nor have I ever peeped at your dojo's window. I never accused you of being a fake. Your credentials came to play when you struted into this forum. People who makes claims such as yourself are bound to be questioned from the start, thus you became a fair game.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Black Star Ninjutsu the Style of ninjutsu the Clone Ninjas in American Ninja (uhhhh 3) used?

In other words, a made up style of Movie ninjutsu?

Except that Mr Calkins claims to have been taught it prior to that movie. the following is from his web site.

In November of 1975 Soke found himself in Garlin Tx. Here he met Master David Frost of the Black Star Ninjitsu Academy. This was a live in academy and Soke lived and trained at the academy for until August of 1976.

I cannot find anything other than this on a web search. The details are rather interesting to me. I can't understand why Mr Calkins is rudely ignroing my requests for some more verifiable information on his personal experiences with this school.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
Except that Mr Calkins claims to have been taught it prior to that movie. the following is from his web site.

I cannot find anything other than this on a web search. The details are rather interesting to me. I can't understand why Mr Calkins is rudely ignroing my requests for some more verifiable information on his personal experiences with this school.
Well, a web search on "Lo Meng," or (hehe) Invincible Toad Style (hehe) will reveal two other references:

Five Deadly Venoms-a kung fu cinema classic from the 70's, and Kung Fu Hustle-a recent (and hilarious!) cinematic offering featuring a villain who practices Toad style gung fu.

Soke Calkins probably watches a lot of "training videos.":rolleyes:

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In November of 1975 Soke found himself in Garlin Tx. Here he met Master David Frost of the Black Star Ninjitsu Academy. This was a live in academy and Soke lived and trained at the academy for until August of 1976.
Please note i am a native Texan, working for the state, (plus the big map of Texas in my office required for my job due to my hearing officers convening hearings in every county in Texas) AND after having done a Google search ... there is no Garlin, Tx.

-Michael

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
My friends. I believe we have done what we intended to do and that was to let people know that this individual may be a questionable instructor who developed his own system and was granted a title with an organization that lacks credibility in itself. We have done this by asking him the tough questions which he failed to answer. I believe it may be time to end this inquisition of him before it turns into a name calling festival. I have the answers I am looking for and that is fine for me but if we keep going and it gets to the point where we are insulting him and taking cheap shots at him then we as martial artists are no better than the common bully on the street. My advise to the moderators of this forum is to lock it in order to avoid further confrontation and name calling.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
chinto01 said:
My advise to the moderators of this forum is to lock it in order to avoid further confrontation and name calling.

I think it would be better if we back off of posting and allow Mr Calkins a chance to respond to what has been prestented here. Things look very, very bad for him right now. But to close the thread right now would be unfair to him.

I do not want a case like we have seen in the past where things were taken in a different direction by the person under the spotlight. Every time we see that instead of dealing with the questions/problems on the table it has turned out that the person in question is a fraud. If Mr Calkins does the same thing, then things will appear even worse in our eyes.

But to not give him the chance to respond at all would just be a damning mark against him and unfair.

So I think that if people were to back off of posting any comments and see if Mr Calkins can give adequate answers to the questions of his claims about Black Star ninjitsu, Toad style kung fu, the city in Texas that does not seem to exist, etc it would be much fairer for all involved. If this thread is closed, then Mr Calkins could think that he does not have to respond to these questions and just continue on posting here at martialtalk. That would cause a heck of a lot more friction here in the long run. I am one of the moderators now and don't like friction. So I would like him to have a chance to respond here and do so ASAP.

OP
Akashiro Tamaya

Akashiro Tamaya

Green Belt
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
I think it would be better if we back off of posting and allow Mr Calkins a chance to respond to what has been prestented here. Things look very, very bad for him right now. But to close the thread right now would be unfair to him.

I am in agreement with you here Don !

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don, one last post and I will let this be...

I want to apologise for my previous post, Black Star Ninjutsu is not the style of the clone ninjas in American Ninja 3: Blood Hunt.

A google search reveals that it is the Style of the run of the mill ninjas in the original American Ninja.

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
This style of defense was important to Soke because he didn't like the fighting styles that lead to hurting your opponent!

That was taken from his above site! I've never noticed this thread before, but what the hell is that about?

You dont want to hurt anybody?

How are you going fight somebody in a self defence situation then? Tickle them?

Latest Discussions