karate and dates

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok I know that it is not good to date some one from the same martial arts school as you for the simple fack if it fails witch most of the time it does there will be some bad blood at the school and one of them will mostly quit. My question is what about if people in two different schools maybe hook up how you feel on that, Because if there is bad blood it will be at different schools. Or do you feel don't date someone in martial arts.
Only reason I ask this girl who is in tkd kinda likes me and I am staying back cause Not sure if I should go on a date with her or not

but i problay will end up since it is a different school and style

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
TallAdam85 said:
Ok I know that it is not good to date some one from the same martial arts school as you for the simple fack if it fails witch most of the time it does there will be some bad blood at the school and one of them will mostly quit. My question is what about if people in two different schools maybe hook up how you feel on that, Because if there is bad blood it will be at different schools. Or do you feel don't date someone in martial arts.
Only reason I ask this girl who is in tkd kinda likes me and I am staying back cause Not sure if I should go on a date with her or not

but i problay will end up since it is a different school and style

If you like her and she like you...go out with her! If people have a problem with it, I think that is rather petty!

Good luck, and have fun :)

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I dont see a problem.
nixweiss.gif
Why would there be? Either it works out or it doesnt... Shouldn't be any different if she was not in MA.

OP
TallAdam85

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
no i was just wondering cause some people say don't get martial arts and dating together but i think if it is a big common thing's are just better

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
TallAdam85 said:
no i was just wondering cause some people say don't get martial arts and dating together but i think if it is a big common thing's are just better
A lot of us here are with other MA'ist...and I believe the general consensus is that it works just fine :) It can be very helpful to be with someone that understands and shares your passions!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If its a different school, there really shouldn't be a problem. If its in the same school, yes, there could be problems, but I have seen things work out with people that I used to train with. One thing to keep in mind, is that things need to be kept on a professional level while you're in the school.

Mike

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Go for it!

There is enough distance for it to be fine. What's the worst outcome? You and she meet at tournaments... and she kicks your butt????:)

Life's too short to worry about the liitle stuff!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Go out and have fun atleast you have something in common, and who knows you maybe the next married couple of Ma'ers

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you like her, you should ask her out! Are you still here? What are you waiting for? Go and call her...NOW!:)

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Try to avoid drama....

I like to take my GFs to my MA class so they can see how it is, and what I do three times a week........I try to get them to join but there all like..."honey, thats your thing." And thats it. I haven't had a gf that as been into MA like I am. I think it would be fun until the brake up...then drama will start at the school.

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MJS said:
If its a different school, there really shouldn't be a problem. If its in the same school, yes, there could be problems, but I have seen things work out with people that I used to train with. One thing to keep in mind, is that things need to be kept on a professional level while you're in the school.

Mike
I agree. :asian:

deadhand31

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
The 7th layer of Hell. Wisconsin, to the rest of y
Interesting subject in my school. There are currently three couples that resulted in people in the school dating, one of them married with a kid on the way! One person has jokingly suggested a tack on to our name: "Cho's Martial Arts School and Dating Service".

All kidding aside, the relationships that developed among the students were always handled maturely. When it is agreed that both people are in the school for the art, and not for the other person, it doesn't really affect the training environment. While one of the couples tends to be joined at the hip outside of the school, when they're in the dojang, they're just fellow students.

As for your situation, Adam, you don't have to worry about tension within the school. Just go out with her! If she ends up flaming your school as a result of something not working out, you'd be better off without her. Heck, why don't you just arrange to meet her in a coffee shop or somewhere casual, and have a little chat about your concerns (don't suggest that she'd do anything negative though). Chances are, she might even have some of the concerns you're having.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
TallAdam85 said:
SIGH... Adam, first of all if you're pretty sure she likes you and if you like her then ask her out... I mean ask yourself... how lonely am I?

Secondly .... SCREW what other people think okay, because really when it comes down to it... it's none of your business what other people think anyway :D . You two both are the deciding factors of what makes the relationship work and if it doesn't. If it don't then talk about it (before you get to that point) and have an agreement and TRY (oh lord please try) to break up as nicely as possible okay?

Go for it... you'll never know til you try.

Latest Discussions