Front Kick - Side Kick Relationship

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
Has anyone else found the Front Kick-Side Kick relationship in the techniques based on the combo in Checking the Storm?:asian:

R

Rob_Broad

The front kick side kick combination is seen in a few techniques, it is a very effective way for bridging the gap between you and the attacker.

OP
kenpo3631

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rob_Broad

The front kick side kick combination is seen in a few techniques, it is a very effective way for bridging the gap between you and the attacker.

Thanks for the wisdom cheif....LOL:rofl:

I think many of us know that, but that's not the question.

I was hoping to see if others have found the common thread of the combination in the other techniques. Example, add a spinning back kick and reverse the combo (right leg -side kick, left leg front kick) you have a version of Aggressive Twins, change the foot positions and put it on the ground...Encounter w/Danger. See where I am going with this?:asian:

K

Kirk

Originally posted by kenpo3631

Thanks for the wisdom cheif....LOL:rofl:

I think many of us know that, but that's not the question.

I was hoping to see if others have found the common thread of the combination in the other techniques. Example, add a spinning back kick and reverse the combo (right leg -side kick, left leg front kick) you have a version of Aggressive Twins, change the foot positions and put it on the ground...Encounter w/Danger. See where I am going with this?:asian:

I don't :shrug:

R

Rob_Broad

And if you look closely you can find it in Kicking set, if you are going to ask questionsask the full question, not a partial question leaving the topic too open.

OP
kenpo3631

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rob_Broad

And if you look closely you can find it in Kicking set, if you are going to ask questionsask the full question, not a partial question leaving the topic too open.

Relax my Kenpo brother to the north....

You arte exaclty right...that is what I was trying to get from the other members of the forum.

I'll try to word it different next time.:asian:

R

Rob_Broad

I was just joking, I too often forget a word or part of the sentence when posting on the forums and the questions become too open .

OP
kenpo3631

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kirk

I don't :shrug:

I was hoping to see if others have found the common thread of the combination in the other techniques.

Kirk,

The combo is from Checking the Storm. That kick combo is found in many other techniques in the system. I gave an example, so did Rob Broad.

if you look closely you can find it in Kicking set

Example, add a spinning back kick and reverse the combo (right leg -side kick, left leg front kick) you have a version of Aggressive Twins, change the foot positions and put it on the ground...Encounter w/Danger.

I just want to see if others have noticed or even bothered to see such a simple relationship and if so were they able to expand upon it.:asian:

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score

Has anyone else found the Front Kick-Side Kick relationship in the techniques based on the combo in Checking the Storm?:asian:

As I've stated many times before, because of the interpretive nature of Motion-Kenpo, you must release the assumptions everyone does everything the same way you do. Add to that the differences in lineages as well as WHEN someone was taught something, you begin to realize all of these things have a direct impact on what and how you do things.

The interpretation I speak of that includes a "side kick" didn't surface until late into the eighties. Previous to that the technique featured a "chicken kick." Prior to that it was a completely different kick and technique that didn't exist.

At any rate if I may, the version I am going to assume you are speaking of, executes a front kick with the left leg and then "side kicks" with the right leg to the opponent's right knee, (and then tries to execute a back fist)

The kicking mechanics used in most schools are horribly flawed and in fact dangerous to long term use/abuse of your body, especially in Kenpo. The list of senior martial artists of all styles and kenpo in particular who have had to have hip replacement surgery is growing rapidly, and will cintinue as time goes on unless proper mechanics are learned.

Part of the problem is due to the fact their are almost no other physical endeavors that closely mimics the kicking seen in "karate" that is results driven. When it comes to throwing a ball, or running your body into another person, lifting a weight, etc. there are doctors/coaches/trainers with extensive knowledge of the "how" that is tested in serious performance competition everyday. I find it interesting most of the "karate" kicks disappear in results driven activities like "kick boxing."

In the scenario you present are some of the worse body mechanics ever presented in kicking in a technique. There is no viable relationship between the two in that particular scenario and circumstances. My SUGGESTION is to abandon the practice.

The problem is many of the kicks used in the martial arts have been misinterpeted over the years and many are relatively new. As a very big clue, if you go back to the old Chinese, kicks like the knife edge "side" as done by the Okinawan and Japanese didn't exist. Now we know the Chinese Science was all inclusive and was combined with their medicial and healing arts so their knowledge of human anatomy was extensive. Therefore if they didn't do something, there was a reason beyond cultural preferences.

As another example, things like "makiwara training" came into being much later in other cultures. The Chinese "conditioned" their hands using various methods in conjuction with healing herbs and medicines. Later cultures simply and primitively "pounded and beat" their hands.

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Doc

As I've stated many times before, because of the interpretive nature of Motion-Kenpo, you must release the assumptions everyone does everything the same way you do. Add to that the differences in lineages as well as WHEN someone was taught something, you begin to realize all of these things have a direct impact on what and how you do things.

The interpretation I speak of that includes a "side kick" didn't surface until late into the eighties. Previous to that the technique featured a "chicken kick." Prior to that it was a completely different kick and technique that didn't exist.

At any rate if I may, the version I am going to assume you are speaking of, executes a front kick with the left leg and then "side kicks" with the right leg to the opponent's right knee, (and then tries to execute a back fist)

The kicking mechanics used in most schools are horribly flawed and in fact dangerous to long term use/abuse of your body, especially in Kenpo. The list of senior martial artists of all styles and kenpo in particular who have had to have hip replacement surgery is growing rapidly, and will cintinue as time goes on unless proper mechanics are learned.

Part of the problem is due to the fact their are almost no other physical endeavors that closely mimics the kicking seen in "karate" that is results driven. When it comes to throwing a ball, or running your body into another person, lifting a weight, etc. there are doctors/coaches/trainers with extensive knowledge of the "how" that is tested in serious performance competition everyday. I find it interesting most of the "karate" kicks disappear in results driven activities like "kick boxing."

In the scenario you present are some of the worse body mechanics ever presented in kicking in a technique. There is no viable relationship between the two in that particular scenario and circumstances. My SUGGESTION is to abandon the practice.

The problem is many of the kicks used in the martial arts have been misinterpeted over the years and many are relatively new. As a very big clue, if you go back to the old Chinese, kicks like the knife edge "side" as done by the Okinawan and Japanese didn't exist. Now we know the Chinese Science was all inclusive and was combined with their medicial and healing arts so their knowledge of human anatomy was extensive. Therefore if they didn't do something, there was a reason beyond cultural preferences.

As another example, things like "makiwara training" came into being much later in other cultures. The Chinese "conditioned" their hands using various methods in conjuction with healing herbs and medicines. Later cultures simply and primitively "pounded and beat" their hands.

Bless you for those many well chosen words. Just ever so slightly informative too! :lol:

Thanks,

Dan Farmer

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaking had Encounter with Danger as a left front kick to the groin and a right roundhouse to the head, then a left thrusting back kick to any available target. This is just what I remember doing.
Jason Farnsworth

Dominic Jones

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Doc

Hello Doc

I believe that my kicks are OK, as I have had no injuries so far and they have power. However, I am worried about teaching my kicks to my students. How can I know that my body mechanics are sound? It doesn`t help that I`m in Japan; 12,000miles away from my teacher...

Regards Dominic

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Prehaps you could send some video to your teacher for him/her to analyze. Maybe even by video e-mail or web cast.

:asian:

S

Sandor

Ponskipper Lance do you mean like the kicks in Buckling Branch?

S

Sandor

Originally posted by Doc

...In the scenario you present are some of the worse body mechanics ever presented in kicking in a technique. There is no viable relationship between the two in that particular scenario and circumstances. My SUGGESTION is to abandon the practice...

Doc,

Just curious... What are your thoughts on Kicking Set?

Peace,
Sandor

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doc,

Do you have any reference material on how to perform kicks that is less damaging to the joints. Over the last few years, I have more than my share of hip pain. Recently I've modified my kicks to reduce the damage to my joints.

Thanks

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think the first two kicking sets are quite good (EP implemented an Elementary Kick Set in my school that comes before what you know as KS-1) and if taught properly may teach good mechanics, however most teach them less than anatomically correct. Kicking Set Two (the one with all the chicken kicks) is awful and is mechanically unsound, and anatomically damaging. It was created like all the other "twos" to flesh out the commercial lesson plan more than anything else.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Zoran

Doc,

Do you have any reference material on how to perform kicks that is less damaging to the joints. Over the last few years, I have more than my share of hip pain. Recently I've modified my kicks to reduce the damage to my joints.

Thanks

The hip pain is defintely from improper antomical movement, and you are smart to modify whatever you are doing. The real damage doesn't show up for years and usually manifests itself untimately in hip replcement surgery. The warning signs are constant soreness and stiffness in the hip flexors no matter how much you stretch and train.

Given a couple of hours I could give you a lesson in footwork and kicking that would solve all your problems but through the media that is tough at the moment.

Any physical endeavor that approches the complexity of what we do requires hands on and constant correction to insure proper function. The smart one like you figure if it hurts maybe I shouldn't be doing it no matter what "Master Chong" says.

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi Doc,

Realize this is a bad medium to transfer knowledge, but I'm wondering if you could sort of/kind of give some insight into what you are talking about, let's say, for instance, with the roundhouse kick?

Maybe a general overview of where you are coming from might help with some thick folks level of understanding.

Thanks,

and WHY are all those fingers pointing at me? :lol:

Dan

OP
kenpo3631

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Sandor

Ponskipper Lance do you mean like the kicks in Buckling Branch?

Ah yes, Mastah Sandah.... I am getting old and my memory fades from time to time...:rofl:

It was my belief that Buckling Branch and Checking the Storm use the same kicking sequences, the first (rear leg- front leg) and the latter (front leg-rear leg)...then again I covered that with Mr. Wedlake back in 1994. I have to review my notes...:D :asian:

Latest Discussions