Any Suggestions?

Mekosho

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I recently found myself on the recieving end of a well placed and well generated front kick to the ribs...This was sparring class 2 weeks ago. The pain was not too bad the first couple of days, but now, a push up, a cough, a laugh, and any pulling/pushing with my left arm (kicked on left side) causes pain...
Will a good solid wrap help? Anyone able to share a remedy that they have used for similar injury?
Robb

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suggest you go to a doctor if you haven't already! Its very possible that you could have a broken rib. Unfortunately, due to the nature of the injury, there really isn't much that can be done. Wrapping, as you said will help, but until it heals, its going to hurt, so I'd take it easy and limit your activity, as you don't want to cause any further injury.

Mike

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
MJS said:
I suggest you go to a doctor if you haven't already! Its very possible that you could have a broken rib. Unfortunately, due to the nature of the injury, there really isn't much that can be done. Wrapping, as you said will help, but until it heals, its going to hurt, so I'd take it easy and limit your activity, as you don't want to cause any further injury.

Mike
Listen to your body. I agree medical treatment by a professional is advised.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Check it out with a professional. If it's only bruised ribs, wrapping may help--a "rib belt" helped me recover from bruised ribs in BJJ.

A

altondragon

HAHA especially duct tape....recommends going to doc as well. good luck..heal well.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
See a Dr. Having seperated my breastbone from the ribs, resulted in losing the ability to raise my arm from the side. A visit to the Dr is in short order

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Block the kick next time...sorry, it was just a joke.

Jamie

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
2 weeks is too long. If an injury isn't healing or is even getting worse, your continued training is only going to agitate it. See a doctor. If you don't know what's wrong, (i.e. bruised rib vs cracked rib) there's no way to properly treat it. I know missing classes bites, but sometimes it can't (or shouldn't) be avoided. Hope it's nothing too serious.

Good luck!

OP
M

Mekosho

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Jaimie, thanks for the blocking suggestion, however, I like to think that I saw the opponent moving in, and at precisly the right moment I attacked with a rib strike to his foot....makes me feel better,lol!

Anyways, I guess patience was what was needed as things are feeling better, still some discomfort there, but overall, a big improvement!
Again, thanks for all you suggestions
Robb

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
...see your doctor, then follow his/her advice!

Other than that....
"You put the Lime in the Coconut....you mix it all up..."

Your Brother
John