At home training studios

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Back in the day when I was at a conventional school I wouldn't work out at the house very much. Probably because I never really had a specific place to train and I felt that good training was primarily reserved for the school (also I was a dojo rat so I was always at the school...). When I moved to Houston I started training with another instructor who trained out of his home (garage). Prior to that I didn't really have a clue about how to have an at home dojo. Just wondering how many out there have what they would consider a good training area at the house?

jb:asian:

Originally posted by jbkenpo

Back in the day when I was at a conventional school I wouldn't work out at the house very much. Probably because I never really had a specific place to train and I felt that good training was primarily reserved for the school (also I was a dojo rat so I was always at the school...). When I moved to Houston I started training with another instructor who trained out of his home (garage). Prior to that I didn't really have a clue about how to have an at home dojo. Just wondering how many out there have what they would consider a good training area at the house?

jb:asian:

Good subject!

When I first considered teaching Kenpo in private, I already had excellent mats that I used when I was heavy into TKD. My garage is also air conditioned(I will not work like a dog in the garage in this humidity w/o it) I have my heavy bags, hanging dummy, and all other accessories needed to teach a single person, or a small group.

While I was able to get students, for some reason, a few felt uncomfortable being in someones house, and my wife was never too keen on having strangers around.

At some point, it got to be a drag, with people cancelling w/o notice, and coming home to teach, and get everything ready was a pain after toiling all day.

Now, as I teach outside of the house, I use it mainly to workout on my own, and do work with a few people, when possible. If I had to teach at home again, I'd do it again, but be alot more stricter with the students than I was before. :asian:

I don't have an 'at home' studio but I do live a few blocks from the beach and spend my personal training time there. Personally, I think it is one of the best places to train. Great to throw/land in and the scenery is ubelievable. Wheeler, McLuckie and I worked out there for a few hours when they were in town and had a blast.

Of course, not everyone can go to the beach year round... for me it works :)

Peace,
Sandor

I use my home studio for my personal workouts, it isn't really set up for multiple people, though I guess it could be.

I've got a heavy bag, and I wrapped a support post (it is in the basement) with foam and duct tape to work my sticks on. (This is also a good target for conditioning shins on, as the foam isn't that thick.) I have the techs posted on the wall so I can run through them without pulling out my notes.

I've got a stick dummy (hard to explain, sort of a mobile made out of dowels) to practice striking moving targets.

I have a beat up cutting target (wood post wrapped in pads wrapped in an old denim work jacket) to practice cutting with my knives.

I'm designing some holders for test cutting with some western swords that should come in soon. Though that will have to be done outside (low hanging ceilings and swords do not mix well.) They will go next to the tomahawk targets out in the yard.

I just made space for a bowflex....

It works for me,

Lamont

It is not the quality of the environment you learn in, it is the quality of the instruction recieved there.

I teach 6 people private lessons in my basement. I have have thought about getting commercial space but at $15 per sq ft. that is ridiculous especially in a repressed economy like it is where I live.

I see nothing wrong with an inhome training studio as long as the instruction does not suffer do to the environment.

I just try to get the TV and such out of the way and train in the living room, nothing special. I find I like it a lot better than training at a steril school environment, with nice prety mats that never hurt when you fall, all the time.

Originally posted by RCastillo

I have my heavy bags, hanging dummy, and all other accessories needed to teach a single person, or a small group.

Hanging Dummy??? Please explain more!

Originally posted by Blindside

I've got a stick dummy (hard to explain, sort of a mobile made out of dowels) to practice striking moving targets.

Can you explain more, or perhaps post a picture?

Anyone build the IKCA Ultra Man?? What do you think?

I'm interested in setting up more in my garage, for my own
training.

I have a hanging bag (That belongs to Jeff)...a carpet, and some weights. The only time is really sucks is in the summer and misquitos!!!!! Worse thing is keeping the kids out of my hair! I need the away time!

I built the Ultra man and it works great. It's the only chance I get to hit targets at full speed and strength It is also very impressive to see Mr. Sullivan train on the dummy.

My first martial arts instructor taught out of his garage. It was detached from his house on the corner of a block. It was extremely rough here in the winter being in ohio and all but we still managed. He kept it in the garage for quite some time. It was also used to weed out the people who really didn't want to train. The class dues were only 20 dollars a month. This paid for the kerosene heathers to use in the winter months. Since it was his garage and only 20 bucks he could have cared less if you were there or not only the series students stayed. Our classes consisted of sparring for 2 hrs. then going home. Maybe there was a form or two in there every so often. sigh Memories, memories. Ok, I'm done rambling now.

Originally posted by jfarnsworth

My first martial arts instructor taught out of his garage. It was detached from his house on the corner of a block. It was extremely rough here in the winter being in ohio and all but we still managed. He kept it in the garage for quite some time. It was also used to weed out the people who really didn't want to train. The class dues were only 20 dollars a month. This paid for the kerosene heathers to use in the winter months. Since it was his garage and only 20 bucks he could have cared less if you were there or not only the series students stayed. Our classes consisted of sparring for 2 hrs. then going home. Maybe there was a form or two in there every so often. sigh Memories, memories. Ok, I'm done rambling now.

Ouch, those were tough days alright! You da man! So, what ever became of your old teacher?:confused:

At that time was when he was a really good instructor. After the garage he moved into a cushy building, became a business man, hired the wrong people then closed down the doors for a long time. He has thus opened privately out of his family in his house. I do go visit every so often but not much. I found kenpo before he closed the doors though. My last classes were in may of '94 with him & I started kenpo in june of '94. :D I wanted to leave by also saying I'm only as good as my abilities will let me be. I have much to learn, perfect, and understand. There are a lot of people who know more than me, can do kenpo better than me, but I'm having a blast over here. :D :D :D

Originally posted by Big Pat

I built the Ultra man and it works great. It's the only chance I get to hit targets at full speed and strength It is also very impressive to see Mr. Sullivan train on the dummy.

Did you build the PVC or Steel one? Any advice you can pass on?

I built the ultra man from 1" PVC pipe. I padded the legs using old Life preservers and the upper body using Boogie Boards { Styrofoam surf boards} all wrapped in red duct tape. The head is an old focus mit with bits of high density foam to shape the forehead, nose, chin, ears and the back of the head and neck. I also used an old head gear over the head. I built the feet in a T shape to resemble the foot and also so it could be covered with foot gear {great for stomps}.
The thing I like about using the PVC is the flexability you get after a strike. Granted, he does not bend like a human target, but he does come back after you. The only problem I have had is a broken T at the ankle-probably due to the flexing, not the direct shin kicks {PVC is easy to fix}. My total cost is around $55. Living in the San Diego area all the padding materials are easy to come by in thrift stores for almost nothing. As Mr. Sullivan says "it's catch is as catch can-with LOTS of duct tape". Kenpo {Ultra} man has been an asset to my training.
EKP RIP
Big Pat

:cool:

Latest Discussions

Back