Freedom, anarchy, and consequences...

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
ah, sorry, I don't think beating women because their burka flew up counts...or relegating widows to begging in the streets....
After all, women who do not cover up are fair game to rape and kill...nope, not exactly 'good' values....more thugs for ya....
Perhaps I should have used big and bold. "MISGUIDED though it might be". It was just me attempting to find the worst, or most extreme, example of a culture giving up its rights for the 'good' of its society. And, I'm not one of the 'some' that might argue. :)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And of all of our risky behaviors....getting blasted drunk is probably one of the most dangerous.

Very true. It doesn't give anyone an excuse, but self-defense begins with you.

We do have to think of the societal impact of the constant objectification of women. It sends a message that is received, and that affects our world. One theory as to why fewer women end up in math./science/engineering is that they get the message early on that girls don't do that, men don't like smart women, etc. That's bad for business.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Very true. It doesn't give anyone an excuse, but self-defense begins with you.

We do have to think of the societal impact of the constant objectification of women. It sends a message that is received, and that affects our world. One theory as to why fewer women end up in math./science/engineering is that they get the message early on that girls don't do that, men don't like smart women, etc. That's bad for business.

I think that theory is reasonable. Another theory that I have is that STEM is ****ing hard!!! I think too many girls and women give up (for varying reasons) instead of gutting through the tough stuff and then reaping the rewards.

Its bad for the women too. That means less analytics are developed through academically rigorous curricula, and fewer chances to work one's way in to a higher paying job, and fewer chances to develop one's own life with one's own interests.