Kyokushin_1054

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys. I recently spent 5 months creating a project which I have been wanting to make for a while: 8 Kyokushin Karate lesson videos broken down into 6 aspects of kyokushin karate that I believe are important to learn. In my videos I try to not just quickly cover each technique with flashy 10 second tutorials but I really try to go in-depth and explain each movement. I have recently posted all of these videos on Youtube and would be very grateful if you guys could check them out and maybe leave some comments letting me know how you found them: Kyokushin Karate Lessons with Senpai Roland

Thanks a lot!

Roland

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am simply never a fan of video instruction as the primary or only source of instruction. I’m afraid that no matter how good the quality of the video is, and no matter how clear the instruction in that video is, I just do not buy into it as a viable mode of instruction.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am simply never a fan of video instruction as the primary or only source of instruction. I’m afraid that no matter how good the quality of the video is, and no matter how clear the instruction in that video is, I just do not buy into it as a viable mode of instruction.

While I agree, I appreciate that the OP is trying to communicate good technique (as far as I watched in the first video) and is earnest and not teaching magic.

Nothing beats in-person instruction from a qualified instructor, I think we agree perfectly on that. I also agree with those who say that experienced practitioners can often pick something up from a book or video that a new person could not, because they understand the mechanics of what works versus what doesn't and can 'figure out' how to apply it.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The operative word here being "primary instruction."

I hope people on this site have primary instruction already :p

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
While I agree, I appreciate that the OP is trying to communicate good technique (as far as I watched in the first video) and is earnest and not teaching magic.

Nothing beats in-person instruction from a qualified instructor, I think we agree perfectly on that. I also agree with those who say that experienced practitioners can often pick something up from a book or video that a new person could not, because they understand the mechanics of what works versus what doesn't and can 'figure out' how to apply it.
Completely agree. I’ve watched some videos and read some books and fooled around with incorporating what I saw/read. Sometimes it was helpful, other times it wasn’t. But putting in some time in the dojo with good teachers and classmates, I have a decent understanding of what’s worth trying and what isn’t, and what meshes with my training and personal fighting style and what doesn’t. I’ve also asked my teachers’ opinions on things I saw outside their teaching. Often enough, they showed me where what I found was being taught by them. Those instances were more or less just another way of explaining what we were doing.

I’m no expert by any stretch of the imagination. But instructional videos have their time and place. IMO they’re supplementary to one’s teacher’s training, not a primary/only teacher.

I’ve been meaning to watch the videos. Haven’t had a chance to yet. Being both organizations I’ve been in were Kyokushin offshoots, I’m interested in a fresh perspective. Could be something new, could be stuff I’ve seen countless times. Only one way to find out.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
These types of videos are cool in that you can learn about martial arts.

What you can't do is learn martial arts from videos.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, wasn't trying to be mysterious. It's my opinion that an awful lot of people don't actually know that much about things they offer advice towards. For a variety of reasons.
Okay, that seems more like you're talking about the quality of the instruction, rather than whether people have a primary instructor or not.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, that seems more like you're talking about the quality of the instruction, rather than whether people have a primary instructor or not.
Well I could have good quality instruction in kempo, and know a lot about that, then proceed to say that I know how aikido works. My instruction wasnt bad, but I dont have aikido instruction. I think hes suggesting it's the same for MA and law enforcement.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Osu, Sempai Roland. It is nice to see another Kyokushin practitioner here. I haven't had a chance to watch all your videos but I applaud the effort of any young man that is willing to have the courage to demonstrate the dedication to his art. For the moment, I have watched up to your second lesson "Kyokushin Kata Kihon" and have noted one comment in your demonstration of sanchin dachi. The instructions are clear and concise however the one step missing is 'raising your hara' to lock in the stance. it is part of what makes sanchin dachi the 'immovable' stance. Of course the hara needs to be unlocked when you are doing ido geiko but the locking motion in the end is very much like tensing your fist at the moment of impact. Looking forward to watching the rest of this video and the others when I have a free moment.

OP
Kyokushin_1054

Kyokushin_1054

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Osu, Sempai Roland. It is nice to see another Kyokushin practitioner here. I haven't had a chance to watch all your videos but I applaud the effort of any young man that is willing to have the courage to demonstrate the dedication to his art. For the moment, I have watched up to your second lesson "Kyokushin Kata Kihon" and have noted one comment in your demonstration of sanchin dachi. The instructions are clear and concise however the one step missing is 'raising your hara' to lock in the stance. it is part of what makes sanchin dachi the 'immovable' stance. Of course the hara needs to be unlocked when you are doing ido geiko but the locking motion in the end is very much like tensing your fist at the moment of impact. Looking forward to watching the rest of this video and the others when I have a free moment.
Dear Yokazuna,

Thank you very much for taking the time to look over the videos. I try my best to explain things to my best ability and keep it interesting. Thank you very much for your feedback. It is exactly for that reason that I posted this message so I could receive feedback from fellow karatekas such as you. Thank you once again and keep me updated if there is anything else you note that can be improved.

Osu!

Roland

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You reminded me of Willie Williams doing Sanchin in Fighting Black Kings. Excellent demonstration of using the hara.

Latest Discussions