Forms practice

William Di Carlo

White Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone recall Master Rhee's suggestion on the number of times one must practice a form to master it?

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
When you do not think, but just feel the power as you move throw the form.
In that case one will never 'master' the form or maybe for a short period of time. Your body changes, your center of gravity changes as you grow, add weight or lose weight. As age changes your abilities, strengthens and weakness change your abilities to perform the form to a specific aspect changes. Injuries create differences in what your form will be.

I feel mastery encompasses the understanding of what one's potential applications are within the movements and not just knowing and being able to perform the form.

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone recall Master Rhee's suggestion on the number of times one must practice a form to master it?
In that case one will never 'master' the form or maybe for a short period of time. Your body changes, your center of gravity changes as you grow, add weight or lose weight. As age changes your abilities, strengthens and weakness change your abilities to perform the form to a specific aspect changes. Injuries create differences in what your form will be.

I feel mastery encompasses the understanding of what one's potential applications are within the movements and not just knowing and being able to perform the form.
I agree with you completely. I was just looking at it from a different point of view.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Form is a set of "combo sequences" such as:

"This is a book. What do you do with a pen".

Since there is no logic connection between book and What, if you train "This is a book" 100 times, you then train "What do you do with a pen" 100 times, you will get the same result as you train "This is a book. What do you do with a pen" 100 time.

IMO, the combo sequence training is better than the entire form training.