For those who don't care for ranks

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
It isn’t proof of anything. It indicates a judgement call made by the instructor. His/her standards may be high or may be low. It depends. A black belt from one school may garner respect while a black belt from another school may be laughable.
So it's proof of the judgement call made by said instructor.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It isn’t proof of anything. It indicates a judgement call made by the instructor. His/her standards may be high or may be low. It depends. A black belt from one school may garner respect while a black belt from another school may be laughable.
I think it's still reasonable to say it's proof of skill at the level required by that instructor. Of course, there are instructors whose ability to test is very weak, so you end up with a huge variety of skill levels reaching the same rank.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think it's still reasonable to say it's proof of skill at the level required by that instructor. Of course, there are instructors whose ability to test is very weak, so you end up with a huge variety of skill levels reaching the same rank.
With all the corners that get cut in the business of running a modern martial arts school and keeping it financially afloat, I still say it is proof of nothing. People are often tempted to violate their already low-to-mediocre standards if it keeps the customers happy and keeps them paying the membership fees.

Proof is too strong a word in any event. “Evidence suggesting” would be more appropriate. Nothing is proof except on a case-by-case basis after the fact. “Proof that he can fight”? No. At best, there is proof that he won a fight in the past. “Evidence suggesting that he can fight”? Ok, I can accept that, assuming the instructor holds high standards.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes. But that is nebulous, nothing can be automatically assumed from that.
If you earn a particular rank under an instructor, black belt or whatever, that means you've met that instructor's skill standards for that rank. And the particular instructor you earn it from, it means you've earned it from an instructor that you've trusted with your faith and loyalty.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
With all the corners that get cut in the business of running a modern martial arts school and keeping it financially afloat, I still say it is proof of nothing. People are often tempted to violate their already low-to-mediocre standards if it keeps the customers happy and keeps them paying the membership fees.
If all a student wants is belts (and they don't care how they get them) in that case I would agree with dirty dog and recommend that the student just buys whatever belts they want. It's much quicker and it's much less expensive.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score

Proof is too strong a word in any event. “Evidence suggesting” would be more appropriate. Nothing is proof except on a case-by-case basis after the fact. “Proof that he can fight”? No. At best, there is proof that he won a fight in the past. “Evidence suggesting that he can fight”? Ok, I can accept that, assuming the instructor holds high standards.
It's proof that you've met your instructor's standards.

Latest Discussions