for my first martial art...

Damon1698

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I want to know if I should either join a kempo-jutsu based school or a Okinawan Shorin-Ryu karate based school, The schools are both very close to my house, walking distance.., and I like both styles but I want to know which MA is more about fighting than it is standing with your knees bent for 30 minutes, I want to get into karate to spar and have fun, but at the same time I want to be able to get into a serious hobby, shorin ryu seems a little too "stand with your knees bent for 30 minutes and flex your muscles.. " which I don't want lol I want a more.. hands on martial art and I don't want to spend like 70$ on a week that I'll regret.. So with this understood would I rather go for the kempo or the shorin-ryu? The shorin Ryu is cheaper but I don't really care about that

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shorin-ryu is a well-known and effective art, but it is relatively formal art compared to some other arts (though not to the extent of 30 minutes of Sanchin!). Kempo-jutsu is a somewhat vague term--do you know something more specific about this school?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
I want to know if I should either join a kempo-jutsu based school or a Okinawan Shorin-Ryu karate based school, The schools are both very close to my house, walking distance.., and I like both styles but I want to know which MA is more about fighting than it is standing with your knees bent for 30 minutes, I want to get into karate to spar and have fun, but at the same time I want to be able to get into a serious hobby, shorin ryu seems a little too "stand with your knees bent for 30 minutes and flex your muscles.. " which I don't want lol I want a more.. hands on martial art and I don't want to spend like 70$ on a week that I'll regret.. So with this understood would I rather go for the kempo or the shorin-ryu? The shorin Ryu is cheaper but I don't really care about that

Hello, My vote is Kempo-Jutsu ...mostly because of the Jutsu parts

Please visit each school and watch at least two classes...and talk to the Sensi's......to get a feel of each person personallities..and other students feelings..

Many times each class could be different stuffs in training too...one session may not be enough for a good judgement.

Lastly...trust your INSTINCTS or gut feelings...for your choice!

Aloha, ...anytime you can walk to class...means less chance of MISSING any classes..

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
no pain no gain which ever art you take - that 30 minute knee bent thing your talking about right about now sounds good to me and im a kenpo guy what might sound ridiculous to you right now might not in the future so dont knock it till you try it :jediduel:

Latest Discussions