has your reason for taking MA changed over time ?

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
for me i got into MA by accident

then stayed in it to learn how to get busy with anyone in a smarter way :shooter:

then once learning - i starting changing as a person :)

after changing as a person it became in way a spiratual path for me :angel:

and once that path was there and reasons to get busy with anyone werent there anymore it started being more about my health :whip1:

and now in days its everything combined with out me even thinking about it %-}

now whats the 411 with you :mst:

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
for me i got into MA by accident

then stayed in it to learn how to get busy with anyone in a smarter way :shooter:

then once learning - i starting changing as a person :)

after changing as a person it became in way a spiratual path for me :angel:

and once that path was there and reasons to get busy with anyone werent there anymore it started being more about my health :whip1:

and now in days its everything combined with out me even thinking about it %-}

now whats the 411 with you
I started off learning Boxing. I went to a school for deliquents so you better know how to fight. Later on I got interested in Ninpo taijutsu(the philosophy I was not really interested in the Martial application I found it to be flawed.) I got into Baguazhang,Xingyiquan,Taijiquan not for martial application but for as a way to understand my body. I guess I belong to the school of pick up a brick and hit you across the face with it martial art.

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
I had a "spiritual path" before I started martial arts. My religion or belief system is not derived from the styles I study.

However any lifelong undertaking that requires discipline, introspection, desire etc will complement ones "spiritual path" so in that essence, it is a component of my spiritual development, even though it is not a direct part of my religion.

The first and foremost reason I got into Martial Arts is a feeling of responsibility to provide protection for myself, my family, my friends, and for the innocent who cannot adequately protect themselves (this is also a religious belief of mine, so again it does fit the “spiritual path”). Rough neighborhood growing up and some unfortunate violent situations at an early age hieghtened my awareness of this early on.

Additionally, I like physical activities. I like competition. It always seemed to make sense to kill multiple birds with one proverbial stone. Martial arts allowed for the fitness and the competition that all sports facilitate, while also adding a practical use (self defense) that other sports didn't offer.

Lastly, the little boy inside (still inside I should add) who loved Kung fu theater, the SWAT t.v. show, and action movies from the 80’s sure did like technique line and focus mitts.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I first got started because I thought it was the coolest looking thing. I alreay could fight so it was not for that. I just thought it looked really really cool.

Now I do it to give back and help out. I really like teaching kids and helping them learn about life.

mwd0818

Green Belt
Reaction score
Karate Kid was the reason I started.

I'll leave it to the masses to decide if that reason has changed over time.

ChingChuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I started doing MA because I wanted to get fit (muscle aches after every PE class...) and now I'm doing it because I like the art itself (the SD aspect but also the 'style' and technical stuff) and I'd like to get better at it.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I started karate because I wanted to be Batman, now I'm not 5 anymore and know that I can't be Batman because Bruce Wayne died and they didn't even give me a call about the spot, Dick Grayson got the gig.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Yes...searching for better "verbage" or training in this area....better for prevent situtions from escalation...ONE wants things to smooth out between both parties...win.win..endings...

Also..defending oneself...should NOT take years to learn....and searching for a MA...systems...that is effective,easy to learn , easy to remember, and ends things quickly...and effectively...

Self-defense needs to be brought up to the future times.....Learning...can always be improve, be faster to learn, etc..

Today...MY reason for taking MA...is searching for better ways...to defend oneself.....

NOT staying in 21st century...looking towards 22nd Century..

Aloha,

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well originally it was to crush my enemies, to see them driven before me, and to hear the lamentations of their women. But now it is I enjoy striking fear in the hearts of my fellow man, and of course I'm an indestructible master of war :D

But seriously folks....

I started because a friend convinced me to go, I stayed, originally, so I would not get picked on in school and that changed to "Damn this is just so cool" but later it was to get back into shape and now it is to get back into shape again (these damn injuries are not helping) and because I have a genuine interest in what they are about, where they come form (history) and about the deeper and higher levels of knowledge and skill that are there but sadly are vanishing with time.

thesandman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I wanted to be the first real life BatMan.

I was 11 or something.

So yeah, over time it changed. :ultracool

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not really. I once started because I thought it was 'cool'. I stuck with it for several years just because I liked doing it, and I gave it my all.
I quit for various reasons. fast forward 10 years, 1 wife, 1 house, and 2 kids, and I picked up again. And now I am again training hard because I like it.

I train hard, focused, and with intention. But not for a particular reason, other than that I like it and it feels 'right'.

xJOHNx

Purple Belt
Reaction score
karate kid, did shotokan then from 7 to 11.

Restarted martial arts at 17, kicking off from a puberty of booze and less legal stuff. Teetotal for 6 years straight now.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I started because my son was doing it and it looked like fun. I've stayed because I LOVE IT. Especially the kicking people in the head part.

Jaspthecat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Me and my mates formed a gang where we dressed up as Ninjas and roamed the woods doing general Ninja *****. We decided that in order to back up our skills in fire making, hunting and making throwing stars out of 6 inch nails, we ought to start a MA, just in case we were actually called upon to assasinate anyone.

A few of us therefore started TKD (it seemed better than karate) and quite predictably, a lot of people dropped out after a few weeks but I carried on for a number of years. As I became more proficient, I took more interest in what was behind the art ie the culture of the Far East blah blah blah. I eventually gave up at 16 due to illness.

Roll on 20 years (eesh), I have finally started MA back up after much deliberating and procrastination and a few months here and there trying different styles. I now study Muay Thai, Krav Maga and Xing yi Quan.

My reasons for re-starting are mainly fear, ie we live in an increasingly violent world, I wanted to be able to protect myself and my family and secondly weight training for many years had given me a lot of strength but I didn't feel I was the complete package without the ability to fight and lastly I hark back the days when I was able to do the box splits and break a board in half with my bare hands.....

I'm so glad I have started back up but now regret I left it for so long.

OP
suicide

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
cant go nowhere these days with out running into a ninja %-} train on !

Latest Discussions