For All The Taekwondo Bashers The Real Truth On Taekwondo From My View

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah I purposefully avoided that word since that's not the only way to strike. As an example you'll probably accept, muay thai fighters don't 'box', but still know how to use their hands.

No I don't accept that. A decent boxer is unlikely to steam roll a decent Muay Thai practioner, even if you ban the low kicks and clinch.

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Everybody knows that Muay Thai adopted Western Boxing since about 50 years..modified for Kickboxing rules.

Our dear moderator missed that though.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
God it’s like talking to a brick wall with you....no...there’s no such thing as good and bad systems only good and bad practitioners....if it didn’t work for you in a fight...maybe that says more about your skills or lack of...maybe thing of that before blaming the system...because there are plenty of excellent taekwondo guys out there who could 100% use it effectively....just cause you can’t doesn’t mean it’s not a good system.

now read it slowly so it sinks in

If it is the individual then that is evidence the training doesn't work. You are just putting people in a room and seeing who is naturally better.

If individuals are becoming consistently better that is the mesure of the quality of the training.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No clue, but I'm not making any claim that TKD is useful. I've never trained it and like I said I have no skin in the game either way.

But if someone were to make that claim, and used an example of them beating one kickboxer in a sparring match (unless that kickboxer was a K-1 champ or something), I'd have issue with that as well.

Yeah but it is such a common point of evidence on this forum. I am suprised you chose now to discredit it.

I mean it works on the street is what some systems are fundamentally based on.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Because there are literally hundreds of thousands of people teaching TKD, from piles of different systems. Sample size matters. A sample size of 4 out of, say, 300,000 is meaningless.

Really? You're sure about that? Care to tell me what is and isn't a part of TKD MDK?

And so each person has the burden of proof to make the claim their TKD system works.

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah but it is such a common point of evidence on this forum. I am suprised you chose now to discredit it.

I could probably light up the aforementioned Kickboxer in a street scuff. Anybody can win a brawl and I've grown up doing that crap. But to fail when doing sparring is a pretty horrific result. We had both trained 4 years at that point. He was not faster, stronger, nothing. He was even shorter than me. No excuses...

He switched levels and utilized head movement which nobody else in the club did, and I sparred several medalists in TKD...

Last edited:

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'll tell you what they're good at; admiring their kicks! And dropping their guard... And yeah they kick like hell but that's not enough. Not knowing how to box in striking is as bad as doing MMA without knowing submission grappling. It works to a certain point and then it's a total stop, pants down, total exposure.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Style may play into it, but how someone trains is more important. I’d guess that the vast majority of Taekwondo students can’t fight because the vast majority of Taekwondo students don’t train to fight. I do think that many tkd instructors have a hard time admitting that, though.

The rule set is important, too. A long time ago I sparred with a kick boxer under Olympic tkd rules. I easily dominated the match. If we had fought with kickboxing rules, he most likely would have handled me. My best weapons were my kicks and footwork. His best weapons were his hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Style may play into it, but how someone trains is more important. I’d guess that the vast majority of Taekwondo students can’t fight because the vast majority of Taekwondo students don’t train to fight. I do think that many tkd instructors have a hard time admitting that, though.

The rule set is important, too. A long time ago I sparred with a kick boxer under Olympic tkd rules. I easily dominated the match. If we had fought with kickboxing rules, he most likely would have handled me. My best weapons were my kicks and footwork. His best weapons were his hands.

Don't you agree that a lot of TKD schools have steered away from practicality even within the kicking department? Too much emphasis on spinning techniques. The low percentage techniques in regular fighting are trained as if they are basics...and high percentage techniques.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I could probably light up the aforementioned Kickboxer in a street scuff. Anybody can win a brawl and I've grown up doing that crap. But to fail when doing sparring is a pretty horrific result. We had both trained 4 years at that point. He was not faster, stronger, nothing. He was even shorter than me. No excuses...

He switched levels and utilized head movement which nobody else in the club did, and I sparred several medalists in TKD...
You got your *** kicked deal with it

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
It’s quite amusing you’re talking all this trash yet on another post your asking questions about how to do taekwondo moves......sure adds to the theory that it’s you who’s not that good and not the style

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Don't you agree that a lot of TKD schools have steered away from practicality even within the kicking department? Too much emphasis on spinning techniques. The low percentage techniques in regular fighting are trained as if they are basics...and high percentage techniques.

That may be true. However, back in my competition days, back kick and back hook kick weren’t low percentage techniques, precisely because I trained the hell out of them. But that was, of course, in the context of tkd sparring. I wasn’t training to be an mma fighter or a kick boxer. I trained those “spinning” techniques knowing that most of my opponents’ bread and butter was going to be round kick, and my spinning kicks perfectly countered them. It was a psychological advantage, too, because it essentially took away their best weapon.

Again, I think most tkd students aren’t training to fight. Even most of the ones who believe they are training to fight aren’t.

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That may be true. However, back in my competition days, back kick and back hook kick weren’t low percentage techniques, precisely because I trained the hell out of them. But that was, of course, in the context of tkd sparring. I wasn’t training to be an mma fighter or a kick boxer. I trained those “spinning” techniques knowing that most of my opponents’ bread and butter was going to be round kick, and my spinning kicks perfectly countered them. It was a psychological advantage, too, because it essentially took away their best weapon.

Again, I think most tkd students aren’t training to fight. Even most of the ones who believe they are training to fight aren’t.

Back kicks are useful but training tornados as if they are the core of kicking is just silly and only makes sense if you are training for a sport that promotes flashy techniques, which is exactly what WT does.

Or do you think they are an important stable of kicking outside of Olympic rules?

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Back kicks are useful but training tornados as if they are the core of kicking is just silly and only makes sense if you are training for a sport that promotes flashy techniques, which is exactly what WT does.

Or do you think they are an important stable of kicking outside of Olympic rules?

I disagree that WT promotes flashy techniques. Most players rely almost exclusively on front leg kicking these days.

I do agree that if you’re focusing on tornado kicks and 540s, fighting probably isn’t your thing. But ah again, fighting isn’t most tkd students’ thing. To me, that’s ok. The 45 year old playing soccer with a team in the park isn’t training to try out for Manchester United. Taekwondo has enough aspects that many different people can participate and focus on the areas they enjoy, be it poomsae, sparring, self-defense, breaking, demonstration, or even dance these days.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No I don't accept that. A decent boxer is unlikely to steam roll a decent Muay Thai practioner, even if you ban the low kicks and clinch.
So wouldn't that mean you don't need to learn to box to use your hands? Or did you mix up what you were saying at some point?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I've discredited it a bunch on this forum, particularly the last year or so. Maybe you just don't notice.

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I disagree that WT promotes flashy techniques. Most players rely almost exclusively on front leg kicking these days.

You disagree yet they award higher points for spinning techniques. How does that work?

Let's take another one. Do you think double roundhouse kicks are practical techniques in Kickboxing-ish competition or even MMA?

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So wouldn't that mean you don't need to learn to box to use your hands? Or did you mix up what you were saying at some point?

They learn boxing in Muay Thai, just not all of it. In TKD you learn what is either a poor imitation of boxing or no boxing at all.

Latest Discussions