Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When you train 3 punches combo, you can train the following ways:

1. 1 step 3 punches.
2. 1 step 2 punches, 1 step 1 punch.
3. 1 step 1 punch, 1 step 2 punches.
4. 3 steps 3 punches (1 punch per step).

This way your you can train speed (1 step 3 punches), and power (1 step 1 punch). At the same time you have also trained all 3 footwork for

- 1 step,
- 2 steps, and
- 3 steps.

You can cover footwork training, speed training, and power generation training.

What's your opinion on this training method?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

1. 1 step 3 punches.

This way your you can train speed (1 step 3 punches), and power (1 step 1 punch). At the same time you have also trained all 3 footwork for

- 1 step,
- 2 steps, and
- 3 steps.

I'll have to try 1-3 and then let you know.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

1. 1 step 3 punches.

- 1 step,
- 2 steps, and
- 3 steps.

These are all good options. Simple and straight forward, but with enough variety to give you rhythm options that can catch an enemy by surprise, or simply adapt to special need.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I like to work on one factor at a time. For example:
  • Different strikes with the same footwork
  • Different combination concepts with similar strikes
  • Different footwork with the same strike
  • Different styles of the strike with other factors being the same (i.e. speed, power, beauty, or unique modifications for specific targets and situations).
Only once students understand all of the factors will I mix them up.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is my concern:

- Throwing a single punch is always a bad idea.
- When you throw your 1st punch, your opponent may block (or dodge). This will create an opening for you to throw your 2nd punch, 3rd punch, and ...
- When your opponent blocks your punch, he may step back (or step to the side), you will need foot work to land your next punch.

Most of the traditional form doesn't consider this kind of "un-predictable" footwork. If you just train your form for the rest of your life, you may just learn 1 way such as 1 step 1 punch. You may never train

- 1 step 2 punches,
- 1 step 3 punches,
- 2 steps 1 punch,
- 3 steps punch,

Also if you only train straight punch, the new opening that you have just created may only suitable for

- hook punch,
- uppercut,
- over hook (over hand),
- vertical back fist,
- horizontal back fist (spin back fist),
- hammer fist,
- spiral punch (a hook punch changes into a straight punch),

You may train all your life and never think that the traditional training method may not be the most "scientific" way.

Your MA teacher may never teach you the following combo.

- Right hook,
- Right back fist,
- Left uppercut,
- Right hammer fist,
- Left hook,
- Right hook.
- Right spin back fist.

But by using the "scientific" method, you can create it all by yourself. IMO, by using the "scientific" method, the MA will grow and not die out.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Most of the traditional form doesn't consider this kind of "un-predictable" footwork. If you just train your form for the rest of your life, you may just learn 1 way such as 1 step 1 punch.

1. 1 step 3 punches.

I gave this some thought and had to think about the forms I train. I came to the conclusion that even though I don't individually drill these. It's in the forms that I train. The big difference is that It would be more accurate to replace the word "punches with strikes" which is probably why I didn't realize it sooner for some of these. So in Jow Ga we can do three punches but in the forms we really mix it up. This way the first, second, third strike are never the same things. Even if it's a punch. Off hand, I don't remember doing double or triple jabs. Each strike is almost always different than the one that came before it.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is my concern:

- Throwing a single punch is always a bad idea.
- When you throw your 1st punch, your opponent may block (or dodge). This will create an opening for you to throw your 2nd punch, 3rd punch, and ...
- When your opponent blocks your punch, he may step back (or step to the side), you will need foot work to land your next punch.

Most of the traditional form doesn't consider this kind of "un-predictable" footwork. If you just train your form for the rest of your life, you may just learn 1 way such as 1 step 1 punch. You may never train

- 1 step 2 punches,
- 1 step 3 punches,
- 2 steps 1 punch,
- 3 steps punch,

Also if you only train straight punch, the new opening that you have just created may only suitable for

- hook punch,
- uppercut,
- over hook (over hand),
- vertical back fist,
- horizontal back fist (spin back fist),
- hammer fist,
- spiral punch (a hook punch changes into a straight punch),

You may train all your life and never think that the traditional training method may not be the most "scientific" way.

Your MA teacher may never teach you the following combo.

- Right hook,
- Right back fist,
- Left uppercut,
- Right hammer fist,
- Left hook,
- Right hook.
- Right spin back fist.

But by using the "scientific" method, you can create it all by yourself. IMO, by using the "scientific" method, the MA will grow and not die out.
There are all kinds of useful things that your instructor will never teach you, because he/she cannot show you everything, it just isn’t possible. You need to be willing to figure it out and come up with your own stuff too.

Forms are part of the formal curriculum. Forms, along with a body of fundamentals and basics and formal interactive drills help teach you a methodology for strong and effective and efficient movement, basic fight strategy, and understanding how to use technique. The formal curriculum is always useful in your practice because it reinforces the foundation, upon which all else must stand.

But you can’t be content with that. You need to explore with your material and depart the formal curriculum and get creative. That is where you will rise above mediocrity.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There are all kinds of useful things that your instructor will never teach you, because he/she cannot show you everything, it just isn’t possible. You need to be willing to figure it out and come up with your own stuff too.

Forms are part of the formal curriculum. Forms, along with a body of fundamentals and basics and formal interactive drills help teach you a methodology for strong and effective and efficient movement, basic fight strategy, and understanding how to use technique. The formal curriculum is always useful in your practice because it reinforces the foundation, upon which all else must stand.

But you can’t be content with that. You need to explore with your material and depart the formal curriculum and get creative. That is where you will rise above mediocrity.
An instructor may not teach you (general YOU) everything, but he should point you to the right direction.

- How many different punches does your system have?
- How to generate power?
- How to generate speed?
- How to use 1 punch tp set up another punch?
- How to block/dodge a punch?
- What kind of footwork will be needed for a certain punch combo?
- Punch should always be 3 dimensional (not just linear).

By using the following tools, you can construct your own training program.

1.Jab
2.Cross
3.Hook
4.Uppercut
5.Overhand
6.Back fist (vertical)
7.Side punch (horizontal spin back fist)
8.Hammer fist
9.Spiral punch (a hook change into a jab)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
An instructor may not teach you (general YOU) everything, but he should point you to the right direction.

- How many different punches does your system have?
- How to generate power?
- How to generate speed?
- How to use 1 punch tp set up another punch.
- How to block/dodge a punch.
- What kind of footwork will be needed for a certain punch combo?
- Punch should always be 3 dimensional (not just linear).

By using the following tools, you can construct your own training program.

1.Jab
2.Cross
3.Hook
4.Uppercut
5.Overhand
6.Back fist (vertical)
7.Side punch (horizontal spin back fist)
8.Hammer fist
9.Spiral punch (a hook change into a jab)
Yes.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you know the scientific training method, as long as you have foundation, you can expand your MA knowledge from there.

Can you create a 12 moves 2 men form that cover those

- 9 punching tools,
- block/dodge,
- footwork,
- speed and power?

It can be an interest self-challenge task. One way to start this task can be:

Uniform stance, Fighting stance, Skip in front kick

1. R Jab – R block to my right.
2. L Cross – R block to my left
3. R Hook – dodge under
4. R Back fist – R upward block
13. Back to fighting stance

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So in Jow Ga we can do three punches but in the forms we really mix it up. This way the first, second, third strike are never the same

This is a very good observation I never really thought about. Repetition in attack is usually not a good idea. This is true in my style's forms as well. It appears that our first form, Seisan, does repeat the first 3 moves (step in reverse punches), but on the advanced level, there is a "hidden" movement in-between that takes care of possible counters. (See next part below)

This is very true and forms are valuable in this regard, but they are more. I'm not sure if this holds for other styles as Okinawan karate is my home turf.

As most here know, forms are a template, designed to be deviated from as the situation requires. Additionally, they have been designed to obscure certain details, leaving them to be orally transmitted (kuden) from teacher to student as appropriate. For example, a forward step and punch in the embusen (floor plan) of the form, may in application be on an angle to work properly. A form's two count combo such as a block and punch may actually be intended in application to be done in one count, simultaneously to avoid counters.

Such lessons were common a century and more ago prior to mass instruction and printed materials. Not commonly known by most nowadays. This is why some look at forms and say they are not practical - They are missing this "secret ingredient." Regardless of how forms appear, their heart and essence is real combat.

Originally, lessons were given at the master's home. During the early days of group learning, teachers such as Itosu Anko had two curriculums - School or dojo teachings where the surface techniques were group taught per the manual, and home teachings, after school, where he would teach the deeper concepts orally to select students.

As karate's popularization grew and became more institutionalized, the home teachings were overshadowed and many of the deeper, hidden, meanings were "lost" to the realm of common knowledge. While not easily discerned on one's own without much experience and serious study of printed authentic sources, or a very knowledgeable teacher, the secret ingredients of effective and practical forms are there.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A form's two count combo such as a block and punch may actually be intended in application to be done in one count,
This is why 1 is better than 1,2, and 1,2 is better than 1,2,3.

Some people may say this 1,2,3 combo is too slow and not practical. If you move both hands forward together,

- right hand toward your opponent's wrist,
- left hand toward his elbow,

that's just 1 move. By using that 1 move, you can guide your opponent's leading arm to jam his own back arm. Anything can happen after that.

The GIF shows 1, 2, 3. But it can be just 1, 2 (if include the neck wiping hand).

PM-Mo-Pan-Shou-2.gif

Latest Discussions