Focus on the Family Attacks SpongeBob

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
Note the logic of the "good on values" crowd...

Children's cartoon: bad.

Bombing a mostly-poor country that posed no visible threat to us: good.

Homosexuals having the same legal rights as heterosexuals: bad.

Privatizing social security, thus disenfranchising the poor to an even greater degree: good.

Yup. Good to know the kind of kind, moral people that are defending America's families these days...

OP
R

rmcrobertson

Oh, well, remember back when the Teletubbies got caught with those WMDs?

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I love you guys.

Now let's go find some queer-loving sponges to lynch. And then suppress any free speech anywhere, ESPECIALLY those dangerous kids' programs!!

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Feisty Mouse said:
I love you guys.

Now let's go find some queer-loving sponges to lynch. And then suppress any free speech anywhere, ESPECIALLY those dangerous kids' programs!!

you all crack me up! LOL

you're actually going to insist you don't have free speech? you're hilarious :rolleyes:

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sapper6 said:
you all crack me up! LOL

you're actually going to insist you don't have free speech? you're hilarious :rolleyes:
No, I *do*, but I would be horrified to see the FOF nutjobs be able to suppress a kids' program because they somehow managed to get offended in some bizarre way. THAT would be suppressing free speech.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Feisty Mouse said:
No, I *do*, but I would be horrified to see the FOF nutjobs be able to suppress a kids' program because they somehow managed to get offended in some bizarre way. THAT would be suppressing free speech.
The solution for the FOF nutjobs (btw, feisty, that is hilariously put) is simple... don't watch the program. Everyone has the right to turn off the TV or change the channel. There are shows on TV that I don't think are appropriate for my kids, maybe people would disagree with me but it is my right as a parent to make sure that the program is blocked from them watching it.

BTW and for the record... Sponge Bob Rules!

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
My new religion: Worship SpongeBob. Items of worships: All toys associetd with the Yellow Great One.

Iconographic religious imagery: Gary the snail, cradled in the amrs of Bob, like the Virgin & Child.

Praise Bob!

Dave.

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally I can't wait for the testamonials and "scientific" studies from people saying :rolleyes:

"SPONGEBOB MADE ME GAY"

Also, I really want to see one of theses FOF nutjobs get caught in a prostitution sting....or something of the like...:uhyeah:

It is called don't get cable people.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ping898 said:
Personally I can't wait for the testamonials and "scientific" studies from people saying :rolleyes:

"SPONGEBOB MADE ME GAY"

Also, I really want to see one of theses FOF nutjobs get caught in a prostitution sting....or something of the like...:uhyeah:

It is called don't get cable people.
LMAO! :rofl:

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i recall saying something about christian fundamentalists on another thread...........
attacking spongebob? is nothing SACRED anymore?

shawn

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I always knew that somehow, in some way...a cartoon sponge with oddly shaped pants and a starfish for a friend would be the downfall of western civilization...

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
it's so funny to see some people chalk this up like a covert conspiracy. oh my God, let us not allow SpongeBob to speaketh of homosexual behavior, he is the devil.

i really can't believe that some folks view this as a threat to condoning homosexual behavior. it's one thing to take this view as an adult. it's quite another to allow this preception to be passed along to kids. so it's OK if your 9 year old boy comes home telling you he's in love with Timmy....? to each his own. :rolleyes:

i always thought cartoon's were about child entertainment and/or instilling moral values. when did it become a matter of individual human rights...? oh well, just continue to tell them, "whatever makes you happy in the end is all that matters"...

we're in trouble :idunno:

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, you know what they say: "The greatest trick the devil ever pulled; was convincing the world he didn't exist."

kid

Black Belt
Reaction score
Feisty Mouse said:
I'm not sure that is gone so far as suppression of free speech, but I have to say that these guys certainly have a bizarre take on a children's show...Heck, so what if a children's does show healthy homosexual behavior. We have shows that include people with disabilities and the reasoning was that it would help this group of children in school by introducing them to society and dispelling the myths. Well guess what, homosexuals are suffering the same type of thing in our schools...

By the way, "FOF nutjob" sounds kind of...:idunno: ;)

JPR

Green Belt
Reaction score
FYI. Here is Dobson's answer to why he is objecting to the distribution of the video featuring Sponge Bob:
From the outset, let's be clear that this issue is not about objections to any specific cartoon characters. Instead, Dr. Dobson is concerned that these popular animated personalities are being exploited by an organization that's determined to promote the acceptance of homosexuality among our nation's youth.

We applaud the ideal of championing to children the value and dignity of every human life as well as respect for our differences. What we vehemently object to is using these beloved characters to help advance an agenda that's beyond the comprehension of 6 and 7 year-old children, not to mention morally offensive to millions of moms and dads.

The video in question is slated to be distributed to 61,000 public and private elementary schools throughout the United States. Where it is shown, schoolchildren will be left with the impression that their teachers are offering their endorsement of the values and agenda associated with the video's sponsor. While some of the goals associated with this organization are noble in nature, their inclusion of the reference to "sexual identity" within their "tolerance pledge" is not only unnecessary, but it crosses a moral line.

We believe that it is the privilege of parents to decide how, when and where it is appropriate to introduce their children to these types of sensitive issues. The distribution of this video trumps the authority of mothers and fathers and leaves it in the hands of strangers whose standards may very well be different than the children they teach.

By calling it to light this video and its affiliation with this larger organization, we are attempting to do for parents what their busy lives often prevent them from doing themselves--connecting the dots.

Their web address is http://www.family.org. You may not agree with his positions, but I know from personal experience that Focus on the Family does a lot of good work supporting families through promoting / building strong marriages and providing resources for positive parenting.

Before you consign the organization to the category of “nutjobs” you might want to look a bit more and see the positive impact they are having on families.

JPR

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
well i ain't a marine biologist or even a sponge diver, but aren't sponges asexual?

and, whoa, even if its all true, i got me a bigger problem condoning relationships outside one's species (a sponge and a starfish... may not even be same phyum)

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'd be seriously alarmed about the kind of sick mind that would even think about a kids' cartoon character's sexuality! How did this even occur to them? It certainly never occurred to me.

These people seriously need to get a life. And some psychotherapy.

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I hate sponge bob square pants. It's a personal vendeta. Don't ask.
It's kind of silly to say sponge bob square pants is promoting anything.
Still if no one else will defend it I'll try..
Keep you kids away from the tv sponge bob square pants HOLDS HANDS with PATRICK oh no. He also lives next to a squid. We all know how dangerous it is to live next to one of those.
OK I got nothing.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Could someone please explain to me why anyone in Spongebob Squarepants is, in fact, gay? Or heterosexual, for that matter? As far as I recall, there is no actual sex in Spongebob, and no homosexuality.