An idiot in the Netherlands tries to attack the royal family

ChingChuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't know whether this is the appropriate place to place this topic, but I would like to share this.

A car has crashed into a crowd watching a parade involving Dutch Queen Beatrix and her family, killing four people and seriously injuring several others.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8026807.stm
http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/04/30/netherlands.queen.car/?iref=mpstoryview#cnnSTCText

I live in the Netherlands and we're all horrified. That idiot person drove his car right through a crowd! Apparently, he was also injured himself and there are rumours that he's brain dead.

I wasn't in Apeldoorn, but I heard about it while celebrating Queens Day in my own city. Almost every news program on TV is covering it and everyone seems to be in shock. I just can't understand that someone would want to do such a horrible thing.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I concur with Grydth.

What a mindless thing to have been carried out, resulting in the deaths of ordinary people for no discernable motive whatsoever :(.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
I concur with Grydth.

What a mindless thing to have been carried out, resulting in the deaths of ordinary people for no discernable motive whatsoever :(.

I've seen a bit of the footage. It's pretty horrendous. This must have been awful to witness firsthand. A lot of people are going to be having nightmares for some time.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My own condolences for what is relatively a very peaceful country to have this senseless act of violence occur. :asian: prayers for all in the Netherlands.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Has further information come to light on the individual's motivation(s)? Was he mentally ill?

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
And just remember guys, any terrorist or mass murderer could do the same thing.

No gun needed. And it's been done before.

Deaf

OP
C

ChingChuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Arnisador said:
Has further information come to light on the individual's motivation(s)? Was he mentally ill?

Well, apparently the person said that he did it intentionally to harm the royal family, but, unfortunately, he passed out after that and eventually he died. The police haven't found anything that could clarify his actions, though he presumably told a neighbour that he 'was going to do something crazy'.
The autopsy revealed that there were no traces of alcohol, but they did find traces of cannabis. It seems that cannabis can linger in the blood for a long time, so they don't think it was likely that he was under influence at the moment of his crime.

So, no, there are still no answers :(.