Mother Gives up Baby Boy - Implanted with Another Family's Child...

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Very sad story, very strong woman to do the right thing in this case. I can't imagine what she must be going through.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8276132.stm

A US woman who was implanted with the wrong embryo in a fertility treatment mix-up has given birth to a boy.
Carolyn Savage and her husband Sean said in a statement that the baby was delivered at St Vincent Mercy Medical Center in Toledo, Ohio.
Mrs Savage, who had been told about the mix-up in February, said the family was "going through a very difficult time".
The Savages have decided to give the baby to his biological parents, Shannon and Paul Morell from Michigan.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interviews with the line of attornies at her door, most likely.....

I can't say that the thought didn't cross my mind, but I don't know if the money that will undoubtedly be offered to her will make up for what she's been through. To want a child enough to go to a clinic like this, to become pregnant, and then to find out that the child isn't yours or your husbands, and then to carry it to term for another family - well, modern technology is wonderful and all, but this time, not so great.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can see both sides. Money cannot begin to cure all of the emotional damage this couple has suffered.

On the other hand, when they do have a child, they won't have the worry most of us do - how are we going to support the extra person? Money will likely never be a problem again......

prokarateshop

Orange Belt
Reaction score
so, I guess they will have to try again, this is really sad.. almost shakespearean(did I spell that correctly)

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think that is a very, very difficult thing to do, and I applaud the birthmother for making that decision.
Lord knows all the felings you have when you hold the little one in your hands for the first time. To hand it over to someone else because deep down you know it's the right thing... just wow.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
modern technology is wonderful and all, but this time, not so great.

The technology didn’t do anything wrong. It did what it was suppose to do. It was some idiot in the lab mixing up files and embryos.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The technology didn’t do anything wrong. It did what it was suppose to do. It was some idiot in the lab mixing up files and embryos.

I meant only that sometimes technology gives us the opportunity to find new ways to screw up.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Having been out of the US for a few years now, it`s a little suprising to me just how quickly the topic of "who`ll be sued and for how much" came up. I wonder if they`ll get through the feelings of loss and the hurt and hopefully be able to have thier own child without seeing dollar signs every where.

Live True

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The article does state the couple has three other children; however, going through that bonding of carrying a child and giving up the child to the biological parents...impressively hearthbreaking and inspiring at the same time.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think she would really have to love that child a lot to turn to turn him over to his rightful parents. This is a good woman going through a bad time.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The article does state the couple has three other children;

I wonder what lesson the children are taking away from this? It depends a lot on their ages, I'm sure. They could interpret this any number of ways.

Latest Discussions