Flash Mobs and race

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You are being phobic.

being jerks is not unique to a race ore one locale...
but I do dare venture a guess most suffer from too much testosterone....

no, i am being ACCURATE

NO ONE SAID IT WAS UNIQUE TO BLACKS

but the cases we are discussing ARE

you are so GD'd quick to be PC you dont even pay attention to what is being said.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
but these roving bands of youths assaulting people DONT bridge all races and genders

I understand that, just addressing some root causes, Whether B or W, M or F.

and THAT is what we are talking about, roving groups of black people grabbing whites and only whites and trying to murder them

The OP asked for thoughts, and that is what I gave. If I left it to face value, "blacks stealing things, and beating up whites", that would not lend itself to a solution based discussion worth talking about in the study, now would it??

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It starts at home... parents not teaching their children right and wrong then the kids get older and roam the streets following bad advice (lets knock off a 7-11 or go find anybody and beat them up) and thus giving themselves a bad name.
Sure it's a mayors job... provided the mayor is the type of leader the people will follow. Being insulting doesn't help but knowing how to address people so that they'll wake up and see what is happening in their own little community/town/city is not a good thing going.
Blaming this or that doesn't take it to the source of the problem (which needs to be correctly identified), and it doesn't solve it either.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you have been following the trend, there seems to be an increase in "flash mob" incidents around the country. It has gotten so bad in Philadelphia that the mayor is imposing a curfew. Under it all simmers the issue of race. In these most recent incidents the mobs have been predominantly African-American.

The Philly Mayor Michael Nutter has recently come under the media spotlight for addressing the racial issue:

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Societ...mobs-black-mayor-takes-aim-at-black-community

Opinions?

I agree with the Mayor! IMO, I dont think people are getting as upset compared to if this was a white mayor. Holy ****, watch out...all hell would break loose then. Race aside, he's telling these people to stop acting like *******s and grow up!

From the article:

"while others say this approach lets the mayor off the hook for failing to address the needs of young black Philadelphians."

What does this mean?

These mobs are roaming the streets assaulting people...

I saw that on the news. What a bunch of scumbags. This is proving what? IMO, its proving that there are alot of people with no lives, nothing better to do, than run around being *******s!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think this speech is just a case of the mayor taking the easy way out and blaming hair and tattoos instead of looking at the environment which breeds this type of behaviour and the problems that ensue.

It's easy to blame hair and tattoos like it was easy to blame music for all of societies ills in the 80's.
The truth is that when education and the economy are in such bad shape the people will follow...

Maybe Nutter should get to work and stop passing the buck and looking for excuses.

Yes, the economy sucks, but running around like a bunch of animals isn't proving anything either. People can control their own lives.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
do you care why a rapist rapes?
Who me? Not that it matters except to aid in knowing why so that a possible means of prevention could be found. Why do people kill? Why do they steal? Why do they lie, cheat, or do anything that is illegal by our laws in this country? Our society says these things are wrong and it was by a majority vote that these laws were passed and implemented.
Those who do not abide by our laws will eventually get caught and punished.

Big question or the real question is/should be... why do they HATE?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It stems from a huge lack of respect for yourself, and all sorts of authority. It starts at home at a very young age and carries into adulthood. It's the attitude that "you owe me something".
I have a part time job that puts me in contact with many young people that lack the discipline and respect to even dress appropriately to appear in a court of law.
It bridges all races and genders.

Bingo! You hit the nail on the head with this post! Kids will learn what they live. That being said, apparently their parents are winners just like their kids. *being sarcastic there :D *

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It stems from a huge lack of respect for yourself, and all sorts of authority. It starts at home at a very young age and carries into adulthood. It's the attitude that "you owe me something".

Big question or the real question is/should be... why do they HATE?

People are taught to hate. And that teaching, or lack of, is a great motivator, to cause a divide between haves and have not's. The problem is huge and getting bigger. The laws being broken in the OP video are the end game of a long sad situation. The present administration won't be satisfied until they level the playing field and all hell lets loose. Like I said a few posts back, It's the attitude that "you owe me something". And when that something is not given, then it is taken. When the people in that OP vid go home with all that stuff, what do they tell their kids, if they have any. The Mayor is telling people to man up and take responsability, I say time is running OUT.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't think there is one single answer to why. I do think race as base cause is not accurate and just plays into the phobias. I do believe a lot of it is socio-economic. Many of these kids are growing up with very little hope of ever escaping the poverty they are being raised in. The few people they do see escaping the poverty are athletes, musicians, and criminals, many of who flaunt a thug type life style. Compassion for others and respect for oneself start to erode when those qualities are not taught and shown as inherently weak. Since most poor are minority in this country it starts to look like a race issue. It becomes like a snake eating its tail when minority youth believe this is how they are supposed to act, making it a self fullfilling prophesy. The truth is no young person of any race is inherently prone to violence like this. It is taught, many cases by society at large.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The truth is no young person of any race is inherently prone to violence like this.

true, but certain cultures and groups do not by and large teach respect for the law, the property of others, etc

like poor people for example. Followers of "thug life" for another example

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
do you care why a rapist rapes?

Yes, I do, as should judges, law enforcement, legislatures, and society as a whole. That doesn't mean that there's an excuse for it, but ignoring the psychology behind criminal behavior is effectively burying your head in the sand and waiting for it to happen again.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
true, but certain cultures and groups do not by and large teach respect for the law, the property of others, etc

like poor people for example. Followers of "thug life" for another example

The "thug life" comment I can agree with because of what it is. The poor people part is total nonsense.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i disagree because crime is an irrational act most of the time, so the motivations will not make sense to a rational person. And in the end it is irrelevant. If it is a crime, punish the person doing it, no matter why they did it. Sure, SOME circumstances are mitigating, but that isnt really that common is it?

Yes, I do, as should judges, law enforcement, legislatures, and society as a whole. That doesn't mean that there's an excuse for it, but ignoring the psychology behind criminal behavior is effectively burying your head in the sand and waiting for it to happen again.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't think there is one single answer to why.
I disagree, there is one single answer: Some people are asses who do not behave the way they ought.
I do think race as base
I don't think race is an excuse for anything. If you are being a jerk, you're a jerk, what you look like really has no bearing on it.
The truest statement you will read today: You cannot tell a bad person on sight.