Flailing in sparring

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, she said she was karate as well, and he said he was Shudokan Karate... which has every kata for karate. Which makes me wonder about what those classes were all about, and who was teaching them.

The Shudokan tradition has curriculum for fighting at all ranges, (but not much groundwork). There is a large amount of fighting from the clinch position in it.

Well this ain't Judo as you implied with that "glove" thingy.

And where did she say that she was Karate also? Thanks.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'll be honest. Yes, I come from a mcdojo background, I trained in fake karate for a long time when I was young. As I got older I transferred to wing chun kung fu. And have started doing mma recently.

Are you training full MMA, which is standup striking + grapling + striking on the ground?

Or are you training standup striking only, in an MMA gym, ie. Muay Thai and/or Boxing, and such?

Like if you train Muay Thai and BJJ at an MMA gym, it's still not necessarily MMA. It would help a lot once you transitioned to full MMA, but it can also be very different.

OP
WingChunChick

WingChunChick

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Are you training full MMA, which is standup striking + grapling + striking on the ground?

Or are you training standup striking only, in an MMA gym, ie. Muay Thai and/or Boxing, and such?

Like if you train Muay Thai and BJJ at an MMA gym, it's still not necessarily MMA. It would help a lot once you transitioned to full MMA, but it can also be very different.

I'm training full mma. I only mentioned the clinch because that's my weak point. I've got an okay ground game as I have some close friends who do judo who taught me for a while. I wouldn't consider myself good by any means, but I can hold my own

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm training full mma. I only mentioned the clinch because that's my weak point. I've got an okay ground game as I have some close friends who do judo who taught me for a while. I wouldn't consider myself good by any means, but I can hold my own

Are you sparring against mostly men or women? Or are you the only female in MMA class?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am still confused as to why you are clinching?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Answers easy then.
Wrestle.
That will force you to clinch and give you the skills to deal with it.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Answers easy then.
Wrestle.
That will force you to clinch and give you the skills to deal with it.
Or, if she wants to learn to strike from the clinch, maybe boxing. I know I don't want to be in a clinch with a boxer who's still standing upright and trying to hit me.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I know I don't want to be in a clinch with a boxer who's still standing upright and trying to hit me.

Use the cane use the cane .....lol give him a nice crack when his eyes are spinning backwards then go for it lol ....................Yeah I would not relish the prospect of being with a boxer standing up either in fact I'd be ummm praying very fast for some form of intervention

Latest Discussions