Punches and strikes - Speed, accuracy or power?

L

Laevolus

Well, after an absence of a few months, I'm back reading here again and I thought I'd jump in with a question that I need advice on.

I recently passed another grading and have moved up to Orange Belt in our style (4th belt now :) )

As you can imagine, I'm working hard towards my next grading in a few months, but I always feel my weakest point is in my punches and strikes. I appreciate that they will improve over time, hell, that's why I'm training after all, but I would like to be able to do more to help.

The thing i want to know is what should I be working onthe most, the speed, the power of the accuracy?

Which is the most important? I know that best of all is to combine all three, and I do try, but I feel that when i'm trying to act quickly, I have no real accuracy and am just flailing around with my arms. Also, there's no real power to the strikes when we are working with the pads.

However, when I concentrate on power or accuracy, I tend to slowdown dramatically, which kinda makes the punch or strike pointless, really.

Any advice anyone? Any thoughts that could help? I would be most appreciative, I'd love to be able to feel more confident for my green belt grading (heh, right, like I will EVER feel confident in a grading :D )

Any help will be greatly welcomed!

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
When I strike someone or somthing wether I'm using open or closed hand techniques I strike through my target.

example: If I was trying to strike someone in the head I would aim about 3 inches behind thier head as to strike through thier head ( not really through but thats where my power would go) allowing maximum power to your blow.:asian:

OP
E

Elfan

At this point in your training I feal the best thing to work on is consistently applying all the principles you should be. Have good posuture, balance, relaxation etc. 100% of the time. Once you have no bad habbits then work on speed, power, etc.

OP
M

Mormegil

I'll go with Elfan here.

The way you put it, work on accuracy, and the speed and power will follow. Don't just go as fast as you can, just go a little faster and a little more power while staying accurate (keep the form right). Just ramp it up slowly.

I don't know if you do focus glove training, but it helps on the accuracy, and you can pretty well ramp up the speed and power on them. Only problem is finding a training partner to hold it up for you.

Good luck

P.S. focus pad training also can help with reaction time, the trainer "flashes" the target, and you have to react.

OP
L

Laevolus

Excellent, some very valid points there.

We do use Focus pads (if by that you mean the hand pads with the spot in the centre? ) and they can help with my accuracy.

I can see what you mean about working on the accuracy and the speed and power will follow. that makes sense to me.

We also train to strike through our opponent, so i guess that's where the power will improve over time as well

I'll just keep on plugging on, I guess :D

OP
M

Master of Blades

I'd have to go for Accuracy, if only because I love focusing on Pressure points etc :asian: And not much point having super strong or lightning fast fists when your hitting the wrong place :asian:

OP
M

MartialArtist

Learn technique. Learn it. Do it thousands of times with perfect technique, don't focus on power or speed just yet. Once it becomes instinct, where you don't even have to think about technique, then speed and power will follow.

OP
O

Old Warrior

This is a serious inquiry and not intended in any way to be critical of your last post. In the excitement of a confrontation, is it reasonable to expect that you are going to "hit that pressure point" just right. On the other hand if you strike hard - it doesn't matter what you hit.

When I was younger I put a lot of years in Shotokan Karate. We blocked like we intended to break what we hit and practiced punching to general areas with the understanding that target selection had to vary given the adversary's body type. But in general the rule was simple - hit it hard with maximum focus.

OP
G

GouRonin

The pen is not mightier than the sword?

I dunno. I never tried to kill anyone with a sword. Just a pen.

OP
M

Master of Blades

Originally posted by Old Warrior
This is a serious inquiry and not intended in any way to be critical of your last post. In the excitement of a confrontation, is it reasonable to expect that you are going to "hit that pressure point" just right. On the other hand if you strike hard - it doesn't matter what you hit.

When I was younger I put a lot of years in Shotokan Karate. We blocked like we intended to break what we hit and practiced punching to general areas with the understanding that target selection had to vary given the adversary's body type. But in general the rule was simple - hit it hard with maximum focus.

Yup, I dont think its so much excitement more over then fear. Which is why we train in harsh conditions.....to become more and more at ease with this fear and be able to focus. Its another reason I like the whole Wing Chun idea of using fear to speed up your reactions etc :asian:

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
I have to agree that technique will eventually give you the speed and power you desire.

Question though: How is it that any of you feel that speed and power can be separated? Have you ever seen someone knocked out by a slow punch? As far as I can tell, you either have both speed and power, or you have neither.