First year training problems

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
That is one thing I have always wondered about. The military way. I imagine that even in the 70's, the training would not be different in what it consists of, and what was taught in the 30's and 40's. I imagine now that there is a very large MA influence on the military curriculum. And what with MA being so accessible now. I think it is right that Chuck Norris taught TSD while in service?

Both the US Marine Corps and Army have "combatives" programs that they teach but neither requires any real proficiency in the systems. Operators (Special Forces and SEALs) have a more thorough exposure but are, again, not expected to be experts. The programs are there though for those who are interested. I'm an Air Force guy and there is zero combatives taught to us. Various martial arts are very popular though among military members and you'll find people teaching at most bases and many military members in martial arts schools in the vicinity of a base.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both the US Marine Corps and Army have "combatives" programs that they teach but neither requires any real proficiency in the systems. Operators (Special Forces and SEALs) have a more thorough exposure but are, again, not expected to be experts. The programs are there though for those who are interested. I'm an Air Force guy and there is zero combatives taught to us. Various martial arts are very popular though among military members and you'll find people teaching at most bases and many military members in martial arts schools in the vicinity of a base.

Ah now I know what people mean by using "combatives" Thanks for that :) In some respects, I would have thought that MA would be more prevalent as standard, rather than a solider doing it as a hobby.

warriorArt

White Belt
Reaction score
In my first year, my biggest problem has been knee movement and initiating movement from the knees. I seem to have grown into adulthood by being peg-legged and walking like Frankenstein. Deep knee movement and moving "from the knees" is something that is taking a ton of practice, and may take years to get used to. It seems to be a bad habit rather than a strength or balance thing.

I am finding that it is something I am having to remind myself to check constantly in every kata or even just after moving to kamae.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my first year, my biggest problem has been knee movement and initiating movement from the knees. I seem to have grown into adulthood by being peg-legged and walking like Frankenstein. Deep knee movement and moving "from the knees" is something that is taking a ton of practice, and may take years to get used to. It seems to be a bad habit rather than a strength or balance thing.

I am finding that it is something I am having to remind myself to check constantly in every kata or even just after moving to kamae.

Maybe, but how would you actually rate you're balance? :)

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ah now I know what people mean by using "combatives" Thanks for that :) In some respects, I would have thought that MA would be more prevalent as standard, rather than a solider doing it as a hobby.

Their combatives programs are actually heavily influenced by the Gracie Jiu-Jitsu combatives program with some striking thrown in there for good measure.

Your average solider (and Marine), especially in modern day warfare, isn't hand to hand fighting anyone. Their combatives are there for a basic familiarization of "what to do in a situation like this" and a bit for fitness. Their training is better well spent on how to clear a room, how to shoot on M4 on the move, etc.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cool, any linkage of what you may follow. I am still struggling with side stretching :(

I don`t do anything fancy, just do dynamic stretches if possible, do it often and certainly more than 20 seconds each (3x1 minute maybe)

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do you do the Muay Thia style opening leg stretch going forward?

I think you lost me, I don`t know the names of many stretches at all. Like this?
hip-flexorstretch-step3.gif

If so yes, but most often I will drop my rear knee to the floor and work from there.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you lost me, I don`t know the names of many stretches at all. Like this?
hip-flexorstretch-step3.gif

If so yes, but most often I will drop my rear knee to the floor and work from there.

Yeah probably. The one that the MT fighters often seen doing in the ring. They bring their leg up and then manoeuvre the leg, knee height to the chest, outwards.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah probably. The one that the MT fighters often seen doing in the ring. They bring their leg up and then manoeuvre the leg, knee height to the chest, outwards.

That sounds more like a common warm up routine than actual stretching. You can also do it inwards from the outside naturally. Also, the movement doubles as practice for knee blocks (and knee strikes since "there are no blocks" :) )

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sounds more like a common warm up routine than actual stretching. You can also do it inwards from the outside naturally. Also, the movement doubles as practice for knee blocks (and knee strikes since "there are no blocks" :) )

Oh right had never thought of it that way. Mind you I try extend the legs sideways as much as possible. I am still doing the window ledge thing for sideways stretching. I find it on the floor a bit more difficult to force a stretch pose.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
In your first year what have you found hard to do? Have you found a way to make this task easier or have you learned ways to do it better

In my first year of training in my primary style, Shito Ryu, I was at the young age of 12 and what I perhaps struggled the most with back then was katas. Since then I learned to enjoy katas much more. There is far more to katas than just going through movements, you're supposed to imagine you're fighting real opponents and once you get good at that katas become much more fun and exciting. That's why katas are often called meditation in motion. Once you've practiced them enough, instead of fussing over the technique you should just let the kata take itself and enjoy it!

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Still in my first year. Stupid stuff - or basic stuff I have struggled with

1) Basic coordination of body movements - right, left, stances
2) Keep your hands up when punching, stop dropping your guard.
3) Breath darn-it - stop holding your breath
4) Relax - stop tensing up, or trying to hit hard - flow (be water).
5) Pacing yourself, you got an hour or hour and half and your not 20 years old anymore.
6) Practice outside of class or forget it.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ahh, that first year. What I see the most in first year students is two distinct things. On one hand, you have folks who get a little overwhelmed with this new thing in their life. It seemed like a good idea, took some gumption to actually commit, sign up, put on that gi - which is so different from any other work out clothes they've ever had, if they've ever actually worked out before - and get on a floor with a bunch of strangers who do what's being done better than they can do.

Then there's the physical contact. If it's a striking art, nobody is used to getting punched and kicked, especially in the face. Touching of the face is an intimate thing to most people, there's just not a lot of people in their life who ever touch their face. Especially people they really don't know. If it's presented properly, and the strangers they train with make it no big deal and are friendly, or at least not intimidating, they start to get used to it and they progress. But as they do, they are exposed to higher levels of expertise and the cycle usually repeats. It's not an easy transition.

If it's a grappling art, they are in a closer proximity to another person than they have ever been before other than with family, close friends or lovers. Except the other person is trying to dominate and/or submit them. And they are sweating in their face because rolling usually comes at the end of classes when everyone is already sweating. Their faces and necks are engulfed in a way they just aren't used to, there's pressure and weight applied to their chest and torso, and the other person is moving, moving, always moving and they just can't keep up. And other beginners are not relaxed, they're rushed and spastic, always trying to win, win, win. Again, it's not an easy transition from normal life.

On the other hand, people who are athletically gifted get all psyched up and run head first at it. It seems so much easier to them than to other beginners - this is what they're going to do FOREVER! Then that passes with the realization of how much work is ahead and how others, with just a little more experience will have none of their nonsense. What I find with most of these folks is a lack of patience. Once it isn't fun, games and easy - it isn't fun games and easy.

But what I also find is the students you really don't notice for a while. They just keep coming to class, day in and day out. Not particularly talented, not particularly untalented - just your average Joe. Until they're not.

That first year is a tough one. But if they can stick it out for five years or so, then they really have something they can use in life. Hopefully, anyway.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my first year of training in my primary style, Shito Ryu, I was at the young age of 12 and what I perhaps struggled the most with back then was katas. Since then I learned to enjoy katas much more. There is far more to katas than just going through movements, you're supposed to imagine you're fighting real opponents and once you get good at that katas become much more fun and exciting. That's why katas are often called meditation in motion. Once you've practiced them enough, instead of fussing over the technique you should just let the kata take itself and enjoy it!

No, not really. You can use them like that but that's not what they are for.

Bunkai - Karate s forgotten 95 Iain Abernethy

Latest Discussions