Your first form

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What was the first form you learned?
What was the first move of that form and what is it supposed to do?
Did the moves have only one use or where multiple explanations told of what the move could be used for?
If the moves had only one purpose have you found (as you progressed in rank and years) that more than one application can be found?

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow... rewind the memory circuits

1 - Basic 1
2 - Turn left & low block
3 - Only one purpose, low block
4 - Multiple applications are possible now, then, turn left & low block

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Did the moves have only one use or where multiple explanations told of what the move could be used for?
If the moves had only one purpose have you found (as you progressed in rank and years) that more than one application can be found?

The first form I ever learned was Takiyoku Shodan and the first move was a downward block. It was explained to me that the block was meant to defend yourself from a kick (a front snap kick was what was demonstrated). That was the only use for that technique that was explained to me at the time, but as I've grown in experience I've found that the majority of blocks that are taught can have the effect as a strike.

OP
tshadowchaser

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The first form I learned in a couple systems was also Takioku. Starting from a north south position one covers for the first block while looking in the direction they are moving to
. The blocking hand comes up to the opposite shoulder in a closed fist or open hand. The body then moves/turns west with either the front or back foot moving depending on the system. Once in a proper front stance a downward block is executed. Now that is all I was told for a long time in all systems but in a couple I later learned other things.
The cover I have been told could be a punch to a hand/arm that has grabbed you. If an open handed
cover is used it can be a preparation for a grab you are making or a jab to the eyes.
The step west can be used to slide your knee inside of the opponents then dislodging his balance when you lock your knee in place against his. If the back leg moves it can be a sweep of someones front leg or their outside leg if they are trying to bear hug you.
The block can be a release of a grab, a pulling downward of a hand, a block to an arm or leg or a strike to an arm or leg
The are other explanations of that first move but these are a couple of the ones that have been explained to me over the years

I'll be waitng to hear what more of you where told and taught on you first form. I know that many learn one thing early and may or may not be told more depending on the system

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I believe the first form I ever learned was Taikyoku Shodan. Our was a turn to the left with a middle forearm block/vertical outward block. At the time I only thought of it as a block, but now I know better. It can be a strike, part of a lock, a parry,.....etc. I find it refreshing to find "new" uses to "old" techniques.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our first form is the Point form. The first set begins with a full step forward with a rising block, and a punch. Students at first learn it as stepping outside and forward, blocking a punch, and punching back. With time... there's lots more to it. (I spent about 5 minutes the other night going through several variant applications, including traps, throws, and limb destructions the other night.)

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Papa haku sho (bo training kata)

Naname uch (sp?) - forward block and/or strike

Multiple

Pretty much still a block and/or strike. :)

shima

K3NPO
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow... rewind the memory circuits

1 - Basic 1
2 - Turn left & low block
3 - Only one purpose, low block
4 - Multiple applications are possible now, then, turn left & low block

My very first form was Basic 1 also! :) Learned that back in 2000 when I first started studying karate.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score

Heian Shodan

gedan barai (downward block) block a strike at groin area

we were taught u can block a punch or a kick

i am not sure yet.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
The first form I learned was the Sil Lum Tao form and was not taught the next form until after approx five more years.

The form could be considered unusual because it is performed in a totally stationary position , this is because there is no sense in you learning to move until you have developed a firm foundation in your stance.

It's other primary functions are to train you to defend and attack along the centreline , develop "Elbow Force" - a grinding , driving type of force executed from the tricep that can often times power straight through hard blocking actions.

Also the form cultivates the ability to concentrate all potential force of the body , both mental and physical to and beyond a focal point that is situated in front of the practitioner.

This focal point is on the centreline and is positioned at about the distance of the practitioners own outstretched arm or if we extended imaginary lines from the feet whilst in the typical Wing Chun pidgeeon toed stance they would form a triangle and where those lines meet is the focal point.

fangjian

Black Belt
Reaction score
First Fist Form from the Wah Lum curriculum.
The first 'move' is this changing of arm position where your hands pretty much end up in a 'play the lute' position from Taijiquan. One application was explained to me at the time which was cheesy, but the only one that was taught. After years of doing other styles, I could think of a bunch for applications of of this movement.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First Fist Form from the Wah Lum curriculum.
The first 'move' is this changing of arm position where your hands pretty much end up in a 'play the lute' position from Taijiquan. One application was explained to me at the time which was cheesy, but the only one that was taught. After years of doing other styles, I could think of a bunch for applications of of this movement.

I learned that one once.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
When I started TKD originally in 1966, the first form I learned was Chun-Ji.

When I started back up in TKD with the ATA, the first form I learned was Songahm 1. I'm a 5th Degree now and I do that form every single day.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

The first kata I learned was Sanchin (Isshin-Ryu).

The first move of that form is stepping out with the right foot into a sanchin-dachi and settling into a solid stance:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanchin#Stance

Sanchin is the only kata for which there is no bunkai in my style (that I am aware of). It has a different purpose. It teaches breathing, grounding, focus, and dynamic tension. In Isshin-Ryu, we do not perform it with continuous tension throughout the kata, only at the points of impact (the punches, the blocks).

Sanchin is normally not taught as a first kata in Isshin-Ryu, but my sensei teaches it first, and I'm glad. It is a quick kata to 'learn' in the sense that you can memorize the steps quickly enough. But it takes a lifetime to understand, and so the sooner you get started on it, the better.

The SECOND kata I learned was Seisan, and there are so many applications in that kata, it blows my mind. There's so much there! First move in that is a step out in a crescent step with the left foot, then left-hand middle body block (chudan uke). Etc.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The first form I learned was Chun-Ji

Opening move was to look to the left.

The meaning was to look to see how or where you needed to block or strike, or if you needed to move at all.

The move still has the same meaning today as it did 30 years ago when I started TKD.

It is still the first move I teach my students when learning that form.:)

Latest Discussions