First year training problems

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In your first year what have you found hard to do? Have you found a way to make this task easier or have you learned ways to do it better

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In your first year what have you found hard to do? Have you found a way to make this task easier or have you learned ways to do it better

Great qustion. When I first learned to box, I always kept dropping the left elbow. The answer I kept taking shots until I learned to keep tight. That is was a right proverbial at the time :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Peering back into my dim and distant past lol I remember my first year mainly as thinking why on earth I'd got myself into this. There seemed to be so many things I couldn't do, couldn't understand and I was very keen but clumsy at sparring. After the first grading though things started falling into place and I started my real love affair with martial arts. The thing I learnt I think was not to give up.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Peering back into my dim and distant past lol I remember my first year mainly as thinking why on earth I'd got myself into this. There seemed to be so many things I couldn't do, couldn't understand and I was very keen but clumsy at sparring. After the first grading though things started falling into place and I started my real love affair with martial arts. The thing I learnt I think was not to give up.

What was Queen Victoria like? :D "The thing I learnt I think was not to give up" Yes so easy to do.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What was Queen Victoria like? :D "The thing I learnt I think was not to give up" Yes so easy to do.

You are going to get a slap across the back of the legs my boy! If I'd been around in Queen Vic's time I would have been doing Bartitsu or Judo! The female pioneers in martial arts deserve a lot more credit than they get though. To be honest they are inspiring, if they didn't give up when it was far more difficult than I had it, I couldn't very well. It was the doing different things with legs and arms plus defending yourself plus moving that got me at first, I think it was just sheer hours put in that got me over that problem. It does give you more insight though when teaching if things are difficult for you when you started, you work out ways to do things. Someone to whom everything comes easily will find I think harder to teach a student who doesn't quite 'get it' easily.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are going to get a slap across the back of the legs my boy! If I'd been around in Queen Vic's time I would have been doing Bartitsu or Judo! The female pioneers in martial arts deserve a lot more credit than they get though. To be honest they are inspiring, if they didn't give up when it was far more difficult than I had it, I couldn't very well. It was the doing different things with legs and arms plus defending yourself plus moving that got me at first, I think it was just sheer hours put in that got me over that problem. It does give you more insight though when teaching if things are difficult for you when you started, you work out ways to do things. Someone to whom everything comes easily will find I think harder to teach a student who doesn't quite 'get it' easily.

That would not surprise me, the pioneers should always get credit, irrespective of sex. Agree on the latter.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
While the early female martial arts pioneers in the West are certainly worthy of discussion, maybe even a thread of their own, somehow, I'm having trouble seeing how they relate to the original topic. Perhaps we can return to the topic of what challenges students face in their first year of training...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While the early female martial arts pioneers in the West are certainly worthy of discussion, maybe even a thread of their own, somehow, I'm having trouble seeing how they relate to the original topic. Perhaps we can return to the topic of what challenges students face in their first year of training...

I believe I said why they were relevant...that they were a source of inspiration to me when I found training hard and wanted to give up, that they didn't helped me carry on and many years later I am grateful for that inspiration. I'm saddened that my inspiration is considered nothing more than 'being off topic'. Perhaps a beginner having difficulties could also find inspiration to carry on as I did regardless of how little is thought of that inspiration. :(

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Apologies to all, I did start the OFT. Back to the OP, I am going to keep a dairy of my Wing Chun Journey. Having just thought of it, I will summarize the first batch of lessons. But perhaps I can contribute a Guinea Pig outlook to the thread. TS, would this be acceptable?

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe I said why they were relevant...that they were a source of inspiration to me when I found training hard and wanted to give up, that they didn't helped me carry on and many years later I am grateful for that inspiration. I'm saddened that my inspiration is considered nothing more than 'being off topic'. Perhaps a beginner having difficulties could also find inspiration to carry on as I did regardless of how little is thought of that inspiration. :(

Hey, don't worry about it, I believe in the message :)

OP
tshadowchaser

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Having a weekly look at the problem you encounter and how they are eventually overcome would be nice

OP
tshadowchaser

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
my first year of training in my 2nd art was difficult. Being only used to doing snap kicks I had to learn to do a more pushing type of kick using my thigh muscles more than just flexing and extending from my knee.
That and the fact that my 2nd system used the hands so much more than the feet ( even if it was a foot fighting system)
I got over the hands thing after a very short while the 1st issue took much longer because it was a whole new mind set and muscle memory

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my first year of training in my 2nd art was difficult. Being only used to doing snap kicks I had to learn to do a more pushing type of kick using my thigh muscles more than just flexing and extending from my knee.

So you changed systems. A new art?

OP
tshadowchaser

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
started in MDKTKD switch to the Lagarejos system of Sikaran after getting my black belt in MDKTKD is 18 months. I moved 150 miles away at that time for a new job.
In the TKD system my main problem the first year was putting up with 3 girls in class ages 6, 8, and 10 years old. What can I say kids will be kids especially when it is their uncles class

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
started in MDKTKD switch to the Lagarejos system of Sikaran after getting my black belt in MDKTKD is 18 months. I moved 150 miles away at that time for a new job.
In the TKD system my main problem the first year was putting up with 3 girls in class ages 6, 8, and 10 years old. What can I say kids will be kids especially when it is their uncles class

This

OP
tshadowchaser

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
maybe from the same system originally remember I was studying in the early 70's. The grandmaster I studied under at the time was based in Texas and his student that taught me had learned in the military before moving to my area.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
In BJJ, It was learning to relax. Everything was a struggle. I had to learn of when I was actually "in danger" and when I could just hang out and catch my breath which was actually most of the time. I'm still working on this but the first year was the roughest.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
maybe from the same system originally remember I was studying in the early 70's. The grandmaster I studied under at the time was based in Texas and his student that taught me had learned in the military before moving to my area.

That is one thing I have always wondered about. The military way. I imagine that even in the 70's, the training would not be different in what it consists of, and what was taught in the 30's and 40's. I imagine now that there is a very large MA influence on the military curriculum. And what with MA being so accessible now. I think it is right that Chuck Norris taught TSD while in service?

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
Been training in TKD for a year now. My biggest challenges have been physical. I have never been flexible, not even as a kid when playing Judo. I had serious issues with hip movement but keeping at it and complementing the training with other exercises has helped although I am not nearly where I would like to be.
The other difficulty is gassing during sparring. That one was frustrating because I was not exactly out of shape when starting. Sparring more, adding interval training and bag sessions has improved that somewhat.
Third issue is not having enough time to take more classes....but that is life.

Latest Discussions