first kajukembo belt test

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was tested for and promoted to yellow belt today by my instructor, Sigung Burt Vickers, 6th Degree, KSDS

OP
Twin Fist

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
yeah, we talked about it, and he wants me to test for each belt on the way up. Which i agree with, since my eventual goal is to not just learn the system, but to teach it as well.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Excellent. Takes a humble person to go in with an empty cup and start from the beginning, as you are doing. I hope its a journey that continues to be very rewarding :)

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well done, John. The road will only get ever steeper of course but approaching it as you have means that the rewards are all the sweeter in the end.

just2kicku

Black Belt
Reaction score
Good job John, how hard was it? I'm glad you found what you were looking for. I remember my first test, good times.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nice job bro. You'll move up quickly with your previous experience.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
yeah, we talked about it, and he wants me to test for each belt on the way up. Which i agree with, since my eventual goal is to not just learn the system, but to teach it as well.

Congratulations. This is exactly what I am doing, it's true my previos experience with TKD has helped me a lot giving me a good and solid basis so it's easier to comprehend the kenpo techs, however kenpo and TKD are diferent animals and I want to lear kenpo as you are doing.

Right now I'am triying to absorve all kenpo I can and want to make Kenpo my priority.

I am getting alot of fun and I am learning a lot too, test to yellow belt?? not soon but I want to be prepared.

Manny

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you dont mind me asking, what was the test like?

OP
Twin Fist

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
well, it wasnt the standard demonstration test where you are standing tall before the man, it was an observational test. During class, he covered all the requirements for the test, and just graded me on it. I didnt even know i was being tested till it was over.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is the best way as far as my thoughts are concerned. My iai sensei doesn't have you come out and do a few techniques when you're being graded - he combines gradings with seminars and your 'test' basically comprises the whole day. For both my ni-dan and my san-dan I didn't even know I was doing more than helping out teaching the course on the day :D.

Burt Vickers

White Belt
Reaction score
John executed the movement with speed - power -and accuracy. He understood what was being taught through the Beginning Level Tricks and Grab arts. - If He stays the course he should move up fairly quickly. - But within our Kajukembo Self Defense Systems there is more to learn that just Execution of the self defense techniques.
Professor Peralta always told Us Time in the Art is the only way to understand the system.
Sigung Burt Vickers

Latest Discussions