Fight Quest- Kaju

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
For those of you who missed this episode (like me) it is playing tonight at 11pm (PST) on the Military channel, which is 287 on DirectTV.

Enjoy,
Jamey

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
Nice episode, some of it was aimed at making good TV, but alot of it was really interesting.

OP
D

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I really enjoyed it...I was looking everywhere for Sigung Bishop but am not sure if he was "in the show".

I love that Kempo/Kenpo (and the U.S.) was represented by Kaju- you guys do not mess around!

Best,
Jamey

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
man that kaju guy took that roundhouse kick KO to the face like a true soldier :knight2:

OP
D

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sigung Jeff Macalolooy is impressive...I have a lot of respect for Kaju specifically the "younger" generation as I used to compete against Sifu Rodney Alo and Sifu Tim Bowles. Both were/are outstanding martial artists, well rounded, and were respectful and generous always.

My goal back in the 90's was to beat one of them in tournament forms and it remains unfulfilled. LOL

Do some of the Kaju guys really have a little fight club action in a warehouse somewhere?

One of our old school Kara-Ho instructors from Wyoming had a sparring "pit" next to his dojo and home. And this thing was just that, a deep pit in the ground. I showed up and said "cool when are we puttin' the pig in the ground, and his students said, "that pit is for fighting." (Rough bunch!)

Take care all,
Jamey

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeff trained with Crazy Dragons later. I was in the first wave of Crazy Dragons in the '70's and there was a lot going on back then. In the '80's when I think Jeff started, was the perfect time to be in that school. They produced a lot of good fighters. I went back a couple of times but had personal issues.

A lot of times I think back and wish things had been differant.

Jenny_in_Chico

Black Belt
Reaction score
That kaju "fight club" wasn't a fight club, really. They weren't going at each other full strength. It was just like the sparring in my kenpo dojo, but we also wear headgear.

OP
D

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That kaju "fight club" wasn't a fight club, really. They weren't going at each other full strength. It was just like the sparring in my kenpo dojo, but we also wear headgear.

I was thinking that also, but thought I would ask anyway...

Most of the Kara-Ho Dojo's are in garages, carports, and back-yards and we get on pretty well while sparring but I did like the 3 second rule in the Kaju show.

Jamey

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of the Kara-Ho Dojo's are in garages, carports, and back-yards and we get on pretty well while sparring but I did like the 3 second rule in the Kaju show.

Jamey

Thats where some of the best training takes place.

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I really enjoyed it...I was looking everywhere for Sigung Bishop but am not sure if he was "in the show".

I love that Kempo/Kenpo (and the U.S.) was represented by Kaju- you guys do not mess around!

Best,
Jamey

They shot about 50 hours of tape, which got edited down to 42 minutes. The two training scenarios I was part of got edited out. And I had to head home before they shot the final fights, where the professors and grandmasters were lined up.
The only part you can see me in, was in the crowd of the fight club. Gotta give credit to Doug Anderson. He was only supposed to watch the fighting, but he wanted to jump in and try it.

OP
D

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Understood Sigung!

I really enjoyed the program and was impressed by all of the Kaju folks.

I am hooked on that show now, but it looks like I am joining in a little late- LOL

Take care,
Jamey

Jenny_in_Chico

Black Belt
Reaction score
This show is simply a reprise of the better-researched and bigger-budget series from the History Channel called "Human Weapon". I have that whole set of DVDs and it makes really entertaining and informative watching.

OP
D

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Good call! I remember the Human Weapon series although I only saw a couple- Was there a Kempo/Kenpo or kaju episode?

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This show is simply a reprise of the better-researched and bigger-budget series from the History Channel called "Human Weapon". I have that whole set of DVDs and it makes really entertaining and informative watching.

The main difference is that "Human Weapon" didn't have both guys training at 2 separate camps. And they didn't have both guys fight in the end. Both entertaining shows.

Jenny_in_Chico

Black Belt
Reaction score
Good call! I remember the Human Weapon series although I only saw a couple- Was there a Kempo/Kenpo or kaju episode?

Alas, it has neither. But it has krav maga, savate, karate, TKD, judo, and a **** ton of other arts. I watch it whenever I am feeling sad and it cheers me up to no end. :)

Jenny_in_Chico

Black Belt
Reaction score
The main difference is that "Human Weapon" didn't have both guys training at 2 separate camps. And they didn't have both guys fight in the end. Both entertaining shows.

Point taken! :) I certainly wouldn't miss an episode of Fight Quest if I knew it was airing. The best kind of television watching is that which allows you to argue (if only with yourself) that you are improving your martial art.