Firearms and Ninjutsu

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
monkey said:
some of the fire arms I was tought off the Koga clan were mortor type & can be made with hollow bamboo or pop cans.I Do sugguest a long or timed fuse to get out of the way.
Impressive! What did you use for propellant? Hair spray?

monkey said:
Time to time these were known to explode & not so much fire.That made it good for eart minds.Now we can use a cigar for time fuse or cigarate for shorter.
How do you figure out when to use the cigar versus the cigarette? Any suggestion of the size of cigar? A good cuban Torpedo will take at least 40 minutes to smoke, 40 minutes seems like a LOOONG time to get out of the way. In fact that seems like long enough for the target to move. There must be a koga secret to this... Do tell?

monkey said:
We also had cane guns that shot 1 round-some muscett type & some modified for 22. cal.
Was this a traditional weapon or modernized for today's warfare?

monkey said:
We also had that which looked like a baton & 2 types stem from this 1- it shot a bag full of led to knock out & not couse great damage or death 2-shot a net to entrap.
How much lead was in the bag? Was the baton usable as a baton, or was it just for looks? What kind of net did you put in the baton, something like a cargo net, or a hair net?

monkey said:
The silent star gun was probly the best we had for koga as it released the shrinkens as fast as you could re load & had a 35lb.spring.
Hey, how did you get that 35lb spring to be silent? Was this a traditional weapon or one of those modified weapons for modern combat? What was the purpose of this silent star gun? Is it lethal?

Inquiring minds want to know....

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
monkey said:
The silent star gun was probly the best we had for koga as it released the shrinkens as fast as you could re load & had a 35lb.spring.

Kreth said that there was no Koga tradition, and based on the above I can tell that you were not fooled by a fraud- but are just a little boy looking for some attention. I had to smirk when I read your description of the weapon, and I know you will now come up with a lot of excuses as to why you can't show proof of it.

Just joined this month and already over a hundred posts. Yeah, you're a troll.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
Kreth said that there was no Koga tradition, and based on the above I can tell that you were not fooled by a fraud- but are just a little boy looking for some attention. I had to smirk when I read your description of the weapon, and I know you will now come up with a lot of excuses as to why you can't show proof of it.

Just joined this month and already over a hundred posts. Yeah, you're a troll.

Don and Kreth SHHHHH, The rest of the members may not already know this. ;)

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Don and Kreth SHHHHH, The rest of the members may not already know this. ;)

Seriously, every so often we get someone new to the arts that does not know that the Koga ryu died out. If you have been here for a while, you should know that. But we get new members every week and we are trying to attract more. Sometimes we have to repeat the message and keep the trolls too scared to try to take over.

And left alone, they do take over.

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
Seriously, every so often we get someone new to the arts that does not know that the Koga ryu died out.

He also apparently doesn't know that the Korean "sulsa" (along with the Chinese "lin kuei") are completely made up.

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
Not the way I do Jumonji/ Isosoles. In both, one foot is back a bit from the lead foot, but not extremely. Not as much as ichimonji. The hips and shoulders are on line and are more facing dead on the target than facing away. Hira is with the feet on a line and wide. And I think of the footwork of Weaver (at least as I do it) as being that of Tenchijin no kamae for sword or bo.

I'm with Don on this one.

For my part -- others' mileage may vary, no biggie if it does -- If I'm stationary and just putting rounds through paper to score points, I tend to do better with a modified Weaver. When things are very "active", though, as in the kind of shooting I do for executive protection work, isosceles works better for me in terms of less acquisition time between multiple targets.

A corollary to that, regarding having hips & shoulders more toward the target, is that in an AOP (Attack On Principal) situation a protective agent may be the principal's only cover until the bad guys can be put down. Ideally (doctrinally) you want a protective detail consisting of several agents (who can cover and evacuate the principal while an agent engages the threat); but in the real world -- outside the military and the highest-level corporate movers & shakers -- this often doesn't happen because the people needing protection are trying to cut costs.

Cyber Ninja

Green Belt
Reaction score
Techno,

You should try to get yourself a copy of Hatsumi Sensei's Knife and Pistol book. Excellent work.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just got finished watching a DVD by Dean Rostohar entitled Gun CQB Seminar.

The whole thing (aside from the packaging) is in Croatian. But you can tell for the most part what is being taught.

It is an interesting look at firearms. Those of you know that know of Dean know that he speaks from experience in both taijutsu and in real firearms combat.

A lot of what he shows seems to come from Kelly McMann and given a taijutsu tweak. I would maybe change a few things to make it more taijutsu oriented, but maybe he is aiming this at people outside the Bujinkan with less time to train than we do before they get thrown into the fray.

I would give the web page listed on the DVD, but seems to be down.

All in all, I would say that this is the best training tape on the use of the firearm by someone trying to follow the Takamatsu tradition. Maybe there is room for improvement, but it is far better than things I have seen from certain paper mountains.

I have another one by him (actually he gave both to Nagase who can't watch either) that I can't seem to view. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that it is listed as a S-VCD whatever the heck that means.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, thanks to Carol I was able to see the second item Dean gave to Nagase and I can't reccomend it. I don't even know if it is for sale anymore. It is just a lot of drills that he does, none of which are unknown to me. Nothing really instructional in terms of carrying over the skills we build in taijutsu into use of a firearm. Just a lot of drills with him hitting targets under various conditions.

The DVD is much better and that I can reccomend.

Latest Discussions