Fire Safety

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Greetings and Salutations!

Thought this info may be helpful for others. I am not a firefighter.

Some things to think about:

Safety Video: Fire Extinguisher
[yt]3G0a-MLneRs[/yt]

You can also use the fire extinguisher on a doorway to help with your exit.

Place your fire extinguisher in an area that will give you an exit in case the fire grows too big.

Do you have an evacuation plan? Do you also have an alternate route just in case the first path is not available?

Do you have a working smoke detector? The two main ones are ionization and photoelectric.

Sleep with your bedroom doors closed. This will buy you precious seconds in the event of a major fire.

Feel the door with the back of your hand from bottom to top for heat. If the door is hot it is the back of your hand that will be burned instead of the palm.

Stay low and crawl for oxygen.

If you cannot escape and have access to a window put a shirt or blanket outside the window so others will know you need help.

Some helpful links:

Fire Safety
http://www.firesafety.gov/

What To Do In A Fire
http://kidshealth.org/kid/watch/er/fire_safety.html

Fire Prevention
http://kidshealth.org/parent/firstaid_safe/home/fire.html

Knives

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'd also like to add that fire stations give smoke detectors out for FREE. Just walk into one, and tell them how many you need. So there is no excuse for not having one in every room.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd also like to add that fire stations give smoke detectors out for FREE. Just walk into one, and tell them how many you need. So there is no excuse for not having one in every room.
Some, not all, do this. It depends on where you are... And if you can afford one -- BUY IT. Those fire departments that give them out have to pay for them, too.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Excellent video.

Serious question -- the fire extinguishers I bought for my home are Halon, should I ever have to use them, what should I do afterward? Call the fire department and let them know I had to discharge a Halon extinguisher to put out a fire?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Excellent video.

Serious question -- the fire extinguishers I bought for my home are Halon, should I ever have to use them, what should I do afterward? Call the fire department and let them know I had to discharge a Halon extinguisher to put out a fire?
Confirm it with your local fire department -- but, yeah, you probably need to advise them. Halon can need some special cleanup as I understand it. (They can tell you that, too...)

OP
Hawke

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No flaming poo. hehehe.

Just taking classes to help the community.

OP
Hawke

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Halon is no longer supported by the fire dept.

I think they recharge it with something similar, but forgot the name (brain fart).

Halon works great (by sucking out oxygen) and is usually found where electronics are used.

Latest Discussions