Extinguishers banned as a fire safety hazard

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Very sad to say, but not only in England.

I have seen exactly the same (ir)rationale at a building I worked in. Of course, this is the Peoples' Republic of New York...

I am not sure this practice is done solely from the viewpoint that we are sheeple who are safest without the knowledge, equipment or right to take care of ourselves. I think the landlord would rather have seen the place burn out so he could collect a huge insurance payout.

There are some times involving fires when it makes sense to just run away as fast as you all can. You get a fire going inside the walls, ballasts or in the electrical room, you need to get everyone out quickly and let the firemen handle it. You always call the FD first thing, even when you think you can beat a small fire.

The challenge, as always, is knowing when to fight and when to run.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can't they teach the people how to use them? You know 'PASS' as we are taught at where I work (and we have 2000 people who, by manditory policy, must learn how to use a fire extinguisher.

Right? Every employee where I work has to take a test EVERY YEAR to show that they at least know what our RACE/PASS fire safety proceedures are and how the extinguishers work.

Living in a place where extinguishers are MANDITORY this seems... absurdly bizzare.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The life-saving devices encourage untrained people to fight a fire rather than leave the building, risk assessors in Bournemouth decided.

If the fire is not that big than an extinguisher is a great tool to prevent it from becoming big!!

It's really not difficult to use one:

'They are worried we will point them in the wrong direction or use the wrong extinguishers,' he said. 'But if you are trapped in a burning building, you will work out how to use one.'

I have seen a moron shoot himself in the face for fun once. My dad being a firefighter told him that it is poisonous and not safe to do that.

I guess they will be singing the song London's buring from now on.

Latest Discussions