Finding a better foundation

tkizzle05

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ok, I'm looking for a martial arts style that would be a good base before I venture off and acquire new skills. I'm 5'9 195lbs, I have a small frame, most people believe I weigh only 165 lbs... I was a former football athlete... So i'm in decent shape. My limbs aren't very long, and I have trouble fighting taller guys... So I want to utilize my legs often. So I want a system that puts emphasis on kicking and mobility. Leg fluidity, power, snap, and speed. I want to be in prime shape, but I KNOW most of that will come from my own training. I want to study a system that is practical, yet traditional... A system that goes over thorough punching and hand techniques. A system that will require daily training, one that will call for my all my effort. A system where we spar frequently. Most of all, a system that has a combination of internal and external development.

Appreciate the feedback.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's available in your area? Are you free and willing to relocate anywhere to study if it's the right style? How much can you afford to pay?

All of these are significant factors... More so than a lot of what you've listed.

OP
tkizzle05

tkizzle05

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well I'm from fort wayne, IN and just relocated to Indianapolis, IN... the most I'll travel is 30 min maybe more. Idk what all around here, I did find interest in Hwa Rang Do, but cant find them anywhere... next best thing would be Hapklido... I'm looking for a Well rounded system that incorporates alot of kicks. I would prefer something CHINESE but I dont see that happening.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well I'm from fort wayne, IN and just relocated to Indianapolis, IN... the most I'll travel is 30 min maybe more. Idk what all around here, I did find interest in Hwa Rang Do, but cant find them anywhere... next best thing would be Hapklido... I'm looking for a Well rounded system that incorporates alot of kicks. I would prefer something CHINESE but I dont see that happening.

See, we've already found limits.

Why would you prefer something Chinese? What are you basing this on? Do you have prior experience? You've mentioned doing this "before <you> venture off and obtain new skills." How long are you looking to devote to this style? Are you looking for self defense, or more into sports?

Start with looking at what's available. Be creative; ask people. Check the internet. Keep your eyes open, and check at community centers. You might be surprised at what actually is around, if you look carefully. Don't rule out commercial martial arts schools; some are quite good, and may provide exactly what you're looking for.

(Incidentally, it took me about 2 seconds to find about 10 or 15 options, including Hapkido, Judo, Aiki-jujutsu, Tae Kwon Do, Isshin-ryu Karate, Thai Boxing, and more.)

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok, lets see...

Hwa Rang Do is kind of what youd be after, albeit it is more of a Close Distance style, which seems slightly contradictory to what you want.
--
Hapkido incorporates Punches, Kicks, Elbows, Knees, Clinches, Grapples, Throws, Takedowns, and so forth. There are two Archetypes of Hapkido - One has frequent Competition Sparring, the other only has In-School Sparring Variants.
--
Out of Chinese Arts, Wing Chun might be a bit closer to what you want, however, it is focused more on the Hands.
--
Taekwon-Do, Tae Kwon-Do, Taekwondo or Tae Kwon Do (I had to do it :p) might provide what you want, however the way TKD is taught is HIGHLY subjective to the Dojang and Instructer. Every Hall you go to will be a little different, and variances such as ITF, KKW, or GTF Forms will make a difference. Now, itd fit every paramater you set, so long as it was a good Hall that was Teaching it correctly. And incase your a victim of Stereotype, TKD teaches the use of the Fist/Elbow/Palm/Knifehand/Ridgehand/Forearm/Backfist/Clinching/Throwing/Takedowns/Knees/Sweeps/Stomps/Jointlocks (Standing)/Kicking, and Hosinsul (Self Defense).
--
Muay Thai, would also fit your Paramaters. Albeit Muay Thai comes in two Flavors. Gym MT, and Style MT. Gym MT is basically a purely external form. The Style MT teaches a full style, Respect, and development.
--
Some forms of Karate. I wouldnt even try and list all the relevant ones, but Kyokushin, Shotokan, or Isshin Ryu (Thats how its spelt, eh?) would work just fine. Just copy everything i said TKD Teaches, and emphasise Punching a bit more than it already is. (TKD = 40-50% Punching, Karate = Generally 50-80%).

Thats my Contribution.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Isshin-Ryu. Built for the smaller strong fast guy. Snapping kicks and punches, power and speed, emphasis on technique, combination of hard and soft techniques.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isshin-Ryu. Built for the smaller strong fast guy. Snapping kicks and punches, power and speed, emphasis on technique, combination of hard and soft techniques.

Likewise Wado Ryu though I believe it's a bit of a rarity in the States.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm looking for a martial arts style that would be a good base before I venture off and acquire new skills. I'm 5'9 195lbs, I have a small frame, most people believe I weigh only 165 lbs... I was a former football athlete... So i'm in decent shape. My limbs aren't very long, and I have trouble fighting taller guys... So I want to utilize my legs often. So I want a system that puts emphasis on kicking and mobility. Leg fluidity, power, snap, and speed. I want to be in prime shape, but I KNOW most of that will come from my own training. I want to study a system that is practical, yet traditional... A system that goes over thorough punching and hand techniques. A system that will require daily training, one that will call for my all my effort. A system where we spar frequently. Most of all, a system that has a combination of internal and external development.

Appreciate the feedback.

You say you want to do an art with alot of kicking because it will help you against taller guys. You will find that as soon as you get into those arts, the tall guys train those as well and your "short limbs" will continue to be a disadvantage at the long range game. As an example, I am both shorter and lighter than you, my best bet is to close and jam the big guys, not to play the range where they have the inherent attribute advantage, and I'll predominately use kicks to keep the shorter guys off of me. Just a thought to consider, your tactics must change based on who you fight.

Based on your criteria, if you want to spar regularly I would suggest a Muay Thai gym, though my suggestion is always about selecting a good instructor over the style. I have seen some MT gyms that are really more cardio-kickboxing than one for fighters, but I would hope that is rare.

Good luck.

OP
tkizzle05

tkizzle05

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the feedback all of you. I said Chinese because I know they don't usually have just linear movements. I want to find a place that I can stay in for 3 or more years. Hwa Rang Do looks and sounds interesting, but I live in the Indianapolis area. Hapkido also looks strong, I would probably go for something like this, but I cant find a place. I'd do traditional TKD not sport TKD. I'm very quick especially with my hands, I get in and out and I dance around my opponent, I never stand square, I like to give as much damage while receiving as little as possible. Muay Thai seems as though its more of a brawling type art, meaning stand toe to toe and trade blows, I'm def not into doing something like that, but some of the principals and techniques are very useful. I want to use my legs to keep distance, I usually counter, but it usually depends on the situation. I'm not sure about the karate's... I'll look into them a bit more, I did take Okinawan Shuri-Ryu Karate, but I didn't like it... I couldn't translate anything into actual combat. I also still do a bit of Wing Chun, but of course no one is going to stand like that in an actual fight. I'm still searching and researching guys. Thanks a lot though!

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the feedback all of you. I said Chinese because I know they don't usually have just linear movements. I want to find a place that I can stay in for 3 or more years. Hwa Rang Do looks and sounds interesting, but I live in the Indianapolis area. Hapkido also looks strong, I would probably go for something like this, but I cant find a place. I'd do traditional TKD not sport TKD. I'm very quick especially with my hands, I get in and out and I dance around my opponent, I never stand square, I like to give as much damage while receiving as little as possible. Muay Thai seems as though its more of a brawling type art, meaning stand toe to toe and trade blows, I'm def not into doing something like that, but some of the principals and techniques are very useful. I want to use my legs to keep distance, I usually counter, but it usually depends on the situation. I'm not sure about the karate's... I'll look into them a bit more, I did take Okinawan Shuri-Ryu Karate, but I didn't like it... I couldn't translate anything into actual combat. I also still do a bit of Wing Chun, but of course no one is going to stand like that in an actual fight. I'm still searching and researching guys. Thanks a lot though!

Do a local search for FMA Modern Arnis, Balintawak, Pekiti Tirsia and others. I train and teach Modern Arnis and Balintawak. Most FMA have circular technqiues for their empty hand applications and rediecting the energy as well. While the weapons aspect can be fun to train and even some self defense for when you come across a bad guy with a weapon.

Good Luck

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yes, what everyone has so rightly said.
In a perfect world there would be fifty different Dojos within a few miles from you. But we know that ain't gonna happen.
Might be best to visit every Dojo within a reasonable distance to you. Spend a week watching classes. (or more).

You'll know what suits you best.

OP
tkizzle05

tkizzle05

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks again for the advice, after Strong consideration, I think I may just go back to TKD. I'm already well rounded, I just needed to work on my legs more. Its easy for me to apply everything in most situations, I think I'd be fine. Thanks to all of you, I will still cross train in other arts, probably mantis kung fu, or Kali. Thanks again.

OP
tkizzle05

tkizzle05

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
*UPDATE*

I just recently enrolled in Shaolin-Do, its pretty much everything I wanted in a nut-shell many forms of kung-fu all in one condensed art. (and lots of kicking)