overtraining for newbie

dapidmini

White Belt
Reaction score
I've been training aikido for 4 years and I've just started learning wing chun. I've never trained in hitting something repetitively, but in wing chun I need to hit a hard target in various ways. I'm using a pile of paper as a target for training at home as instructed by my instructor. I've just finished punching the target about 300 times and now my body's feeling a bit weird.. my hand is tingling and the bone above my eyes hurts a little. although, those sensations are not extreme. is it normal?

NB: I've only attend 1 official class and my next class is this sunday. but I want to train hard so I can get a better result faster..

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Stop punching the pile of paper , get yourself a canvas wall bag and practice your striking on that.In the mean time just practice your continuous punch in the air whilst in your stance.The symptoms you describe are not normal , you probably just over did it , but to be on the safe side maybe you should get checked out by a G.P.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The hand injury could be nerve damage. Are you really going from nothing to hitting a ream of paper repetitively? Wow, that is some in at the deep end training. You will not be training faster and harder if you have busted your hand beyond use. I would suggest calming your zeal and taking it a little easier until you are calloused up fully and used to the impacts.

How did you get the head injury? Head injuries should never be taken lightly. As already suggested, a quick trip to your family doctor might be worthwhile.

kungfu penguin

Green Belt
Reaction score
training like that requires internal medicine like dit ja gow etc... hitting is force vs reflected force if you are not careful you can do internal dage to yourself master breaker barathy blew out his eye [i heard] from a really hard break example of the damage if you hit something and it does not break 2x the force can come back into your body you should only be hitting the paper softly practice on form, speed, and targeting

Latest Discussions