Final Fu

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
After seeing this show I can now understand why people don't take the martial arts seriously. The McDojo trend has ruined the MA's in america, this show doesn't help.

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I watched that XMA guy on Friday perform a half assed attempt at both a Drunken Form and what I guess he thought he was performing some Monkey style, I thought to myself there is no way my Hung Gar and Choy Li Fut buddies could watch this crap sober.

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I watched that XMA guy on Friday perform a half assed attempt at both a Drunken Form and what I guess he thought he was performing some Monkey style, I thought to myself there is no way my Hung Gar and Choy Li Fut buddies could watch this crap sober.

Aren't drunken forms generally something a martial arts master learns? I've never heard of intermediate/advanced drunken forms.

painstain

Green Belt
Reaction score
all they are doing is fighting traditional point sparring, i don't see why you think thats bad. its safe and allows veiwers to see clean technique. whats wrong with that. sure its not spikes ultimate fighter. it allows people to see what we actually do. i really don't see why people here don't like it.
people act like a forth dan is a big deal, on the show, the forth dan is the most uncontrolled. i seen drunken boxing. monkey stylekung fu. good tkd and hapkido... what don't you like. is it too soft...

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Shaolinwind said:
Aren't drunken forms generally something a martial arts master learns? I've never heard of intermediate/advanced drunken forms.

From my understanding no, Choi Lay Fut has Joi Baat Seen Kuen and I believe that is one of the rarest forms in the system. Other systems however do incorporate the drunken sets at lower levels. Hung Gar, believe it or not, depending on the lineage can have some monkey in it. You prob know more about this since you practice Kung Fu, I only crosstrained in Southern Kung fu Briefly for about 3 years or so.

all they are doing is fighting traditional point sparring, i don't see why you think thats bad. its safe and allows veiwers to see clean technique. whats wrong with that. sure its not spikes ultimate fighter. it allows people to see what we actually do. i really don't see why people here don't like it.
people act like a forth dan is a big deal, on the show, the forth dan is the most uncontrolled. i seen drunken boxing. monkey stylekung fu. good tkd and hapkido... what don't you like. is it too soft...

I am not particulary critical of the sparring, yes the sparring is too soft for my taste, but to each his own. I am however critical of people making a mockery of systems they do not understand, sort of like I start doing back flips in the middle of a competition and acting like some Hollywood Ninja and calling it Ninjutsu. To anyone that has never seen a drunken form I am sure that looked well like to what most people are exposed to that read about them in magazines or play video games or what not, but to anyone that has seen someone actually perform it, all I can tell you is that what that dude did was not drunken boxing, sorry if I am being too blunt.

painstain

Green Belt
Reaction score
i see what your saying however i don't get the point. they have rules to follow, thats why its soft. who here can't follow rules. when i watch ufc, i don't see any style other than a slug fest with some sloppy kicks. when i watch pride its the same. so i would rather see point sparring and tell the diff between styles than watch a couple of guys hit each other with no technique what so ever. well a little tech in stance, but other than that i think the "final fu" is closer to most martial arts than we all would like to admit

with respect,
painstain

painstain

Green Belt
Reaction score

i'd like to see how they do in a controlled enviroment like point sparring. what do you think?
i'm sure they are skilled otherwise you would not have mentioned them. seems to me most on this site can't control themselves in point sparring. just my opinion though.

with respect,
painstain

OP
hongkongfooey

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
painstain said:

I am not seeing the same things that you are. I see sloppy basic techniques by people fighting from a side horse stance, while their hands are hanging at their sides. Keep your hands up! Others dancing around with their leg in the air hoping their opponet will run into it for a point.

Stop of the darned kiai nonsense with every little movement. Breathe.

Whats with all of the screaming before the sparring matches?

Why not punch to the head? There is headgear they could wear that would absorb pretty hard blows, like good leather boxing head gear.
There is safety gear available today that makes hard contact training easier for all involved. All of the I'm too deadly to spar hard contact way of thinking is pure McDojo.

The XMA guy is too egotistical for his own good. I hope he knows that Vegeta and Goku are just characters from Dragon Ball Z. He doesn't need to have the hair and the little arm bands to partake in the LARP(live action role playing).

One of the girls said that it was too dangerous to punch high. Nonsense. Though, I can see why she said that. She kept her hands tucked neatly at her midsection the whole time she was sparring. No need to protect your head when you know there is no chance of a blow coming anywhere near it.

This type of show is just another nail in the coffin of martial arts in America. All the show needs now is Michelle Krasnoo in her halter top(that she had to remove for er own safety) and a 10 year old 8th dan with a glow in the dark staff.

Pure McDojo, nothing else.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Somebody help this uninformed fool to understand - what are we talking about?

I take it this is some TV show that I've never heard of. When and where is it on?

Thanks for the info. - Trad

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It is a pure joke. Ernie Reyes Jr. has such a great background I can't figure how he got wrapped up into this. Same thing with Matt Mullins. At first I thought this isn't as bad as I thought so I watched it again the next day and watched it closer and my opinion changed.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I thought to myself there is no way my Hung Gar and Choy Li Fut buddies could watch this crap sober.

That brings up the idea of watching the show with some sorta "Final Fu Drinking Game" or giving it the MST3K treatment....because it's really too silly to watch with any seriousness. \

Like I said in another thread, the winner of the round seems to end up being the one who first figures out that you can rack up mucho points by just rushing in and slapping as fast as you can. (At one point in one match I had a sudden realization.."It's Dexter and Mandark!!!")

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
painstain said:
i'd like to see how they do in a controlled enviroment like point sparring. what do you think?
i'm sure they are skilled otherwise you would not have mentioned them. seems to me most on this site can't control themselves in point sparring. just my opinion though.

with respect,
painstain

I mentioned it because I saw what he was trying to attempt, and as far as skills go, like i said there is nothing in XMA that incorporates Monkey or Drunken Form, he has no skills when it comes to that. Another thing, you seem to assume that all point sparring is like this, or that this is more of a realistic approach to modern sparring. You are wrong on both accounts, in most point sparring matches hits to the face are allowed, second please do not assume how everyone else approaches tourneys. Coming from a striking art, primarily I ve never done pt fighting, and neither have many of the people here, like wise, most of the ones that do on this site are allowed to hit the face as well. That Final Fu is a game of tag. I ve never been in a tournament where people drop their guards, keep their hands down, hold their pants with their hands, then again, all they have to worry about is covering the body, and most of them can not even do that right. I ll give Brian some credit, the TKD guy that went up against Matt at least his kicks seem to have some power in them when executed, sure he got disqualified that stuff happens, the rest of it however is pure nonsense.

painstain

Green Belt
Reaction score
your right. i was making dumb assumptions based on others remarks. and these paople on the show are not the best representation of their system. but i like it because its not like ufc or pride. there are enough of those out there. not every sparring match looks great i agree. but there were a few that looked decent to me but i've only seen the show three times so you all know more about it than me anyways. what i did see was kind of refreshing to me. the system i'm in allows hard contact and head punches but we are required to wear gear. we also train with children and elderly and are forced to practice control. thats the part i like about the show, those who can control themselves and aren't just running in and throwing flurries. its hard to spar with so many restrictions but its good training in my own opinion. i just wouldn't be so judgemental and count all those people out. they have to hold back but i'm sure a lot of them are great martial artists. i try to see myself there and how i would act and fight and do the challenges.

with respect,
painstain

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thats a great point, and I never said you were making a dumb assumption, your opinion and interpretation is as valid and as good as mine or any body else's.

Regards,

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I know a guy who fights with his hands down or low where head and face contact is allowed but this guy is way fast. But he would tear these people apart.

funnytiger

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I found the show disappointing based on its lack of diverse fighting styles. Everyone on there takes some form of tae kwon do or karate. I would of liked to see some CMA or MT etc...

evenflow1121: Although I don't take Hung Ga myself, it is a sister style to the one I do take. I have never heard of any monkey in Hung Ga, not saying it doesn't exist, but where did you take Hung Ga and who was your Sifu? My exposure to pure Hung Ga is limited, mind you. Most of what I know is based on our systems interpretations and my association with folks who do take it.

Any info would be much appreciated!

- ft

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
painstain said:
all they are doing is fighting traditional point sparring, i don't see why you think thats bad. its safe and allows veiwers to see clean technique.

Still doesn't explain the no head kicks rule. In traditional point sparring systems, that's usually allowed. "Clean technique" to me doesn't mean slapping someone 32 times on the belly button.

Latest Discussions