Fighting Off Dogs.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My dad used to do the same thing with my friends pitbull, when they 'played' together. It was the only way to keep him from biting him accidentally when he got too excited. And he had some serious snapping power too, one time he accidentally bit his 'mom', meaning to bite their other dog, a pitbull/husky mix, and let go the second he realized, but she still had to go the the hospital because there was a hole in her arm.
Yeah, it's not something I would try or suggest.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's not something I would try or suggest.
Not saying its a good idea, or that my dad was being safe at all. Just saying that in at least some situations, this can work against a dog with pretty good biting power

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I agree with Bill. If you have to fight the dog, pinning it down and clamping it's mouth shut is probably the way to go. Hopefully someone will come along and call for help. If no one comes to your aid, you might have to pummel the thing until you feel safe getting up which could involve killing it.
If you come across an angry looking mutt that hasn't charged you, you need to avoid appearing like either a threat or prey. You back away slowly, but don't turn your back and run or it will probably chase you out of instinct. Slow deliberate motions should prevent the dog from giving chase, unless it has been trained to attack.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not saying its a good idea, or that my dad was being safe at all. Just saying that in at least some situations, this can work against a dog with pretty good biting power
It looks impressive as all get out when done to a charging dog.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok I have been attacked by a full body attack trained dog, NOT FUN!!! I used a seisan type block to his muzzle and got out a folder I had with my right hand as the left blocked! ( I saw this dog come over the fence at about 20 yards and heard it was attack trained.) while doing the block and drawing the folder i dropped into a very low crouch. the block knocked the muzzle away so he got no bite. ( lucky..yes ) he saw the knife and backed away. either way if he gets the bite, use the knife on the throat, this is a killing situation, if you have a gun use it, and if some one "sicked/set " the dog on you shot them too! in my state to send a dog after some one is the same as shooting at them, a deadly force situation.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When I visited the Alaska Bush for an extended amount of time, we carried firearms for dog defense. Feral dogs are a massive problem, especially around the cities according to what I was told. Our host told us to shoot on sight. I found that the sound of a gunshot was enough to send them fleeing. That's the limit of my practical experience...other than running like hell when I was a kid.

So, what if you are attacked or you have to pull a dog off someone? I like some of the advice given so far. Bill's post is great. Perhaps, though I would have stressed using a bladed weapon. If you have a clip folder and you can employ it, I think a couple of stabs would cause enough trauma to send the animal into flight. Thank goodness I've never had to do this and I never want to. Perhaps the same strategy would work to pull a dog off, but then you could possibly measure your shot a little more either to kill or wound.

Has anyone seen this story?

http://www.bakersfieldnow.com/news/local/37069754.html

Heredia said he jumped on the larger dog and applied a choke hold that he learned while taking classes at a Brazilian jiujitsu studio in southwest Bakersfield.

That boy has balls of steel.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Colodrado too. My Cousin use to live on a mountain there and I believe he was caring around a Marlin 444 for Griz

There haven't been any grizzlies here for a long long time... :(

There was ONE suspected sighting a couple years ago, but nothing came of it.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you're bitten, try to overcome the reflex to pull back. That just makes the wound worse. If your arm is in its mouth, the best way to release the bite is to push IN, but it ain't exactly easy to do.

When faced with dogs, I've thrown rocks to chase them away, And I've kicked one under the jaw as it jumped at me.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Fight like a crazed monkey and use your hands to kick, punch, rip, and choke. You pretty much have to go crazy. Protect your throat but you have to bare the pain and scratches of bite and claws to your body or arms and legs. I had a friend that stopped a large dog when it attacked his 6 year old cousin by punching the dog right in the head. He was a pretty strong guy but he knocked the dog silly with a punch. The girls got her nose ripped just about off but the dog could do no more damage as it stumbled around then ran off.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
IMO, try to grab the dog by both sides of his face, by his jowls, then bulldog him. It's best to attack, moving in towards him, it throws off his instinctual timing and sometimes gives him pause. This, of course, depends on the person (strength/willingness) and on the dog. Not all dogs are created equal, nor are all people. Fighting a dog is no joke. But people scare me far more than dogs.

decepticon

Green Belt
Reaction score
Pepper spray has always been the recommended form of protection from aggressive bears for years and has been proven effective many times in real attacks. I would think it has similar effects on dogs?

Not in my experience. I once had to pepper spray a large pitbull type of dog. It was rushing me, barking and growling, but I don't think it was yet in full attack mode. I grabbed my spray and sent a stream toward the dog. Much to my disappointment, his reaction was not like the cartoon scene I imagined - he did not immediately turn tail and run yiping for cover. He continued to come at me but slowed his pace a bit. I sprayed him again. He stopped and gave a brief sneeze, then kept coming forward. I sprayed him a third time and he sneezed again and finally stood still. I cautiously moved away from him and continued my run after I was at a good distance and he had returned to his house.

The next day he came running out, but no barking and stopped the minute he saw my hand going for the spray.

The third day, he got up, walked to the middle of his yard and stared at me, no barking.

From the next day on, he never even got up. He would lift his head when he saw me coming, but when he recognized me, he would just put his head back down and ignore me.

I do think the pepper spray was distasteful to him, but not an immediate deterrent as I had hoped. I am not sure if it would have worked if the dog was seriously angry or if I had been on his actual territory and not just on the sidewalk. He seemed mildly uncomfortable due to the spray.

I don't remember the exact type of spray I used, but it was the strongest available in Florida at that time. I bought it at the LE supply store and had to sign for it. I wonder if hornet and wasp spray would be a better choice since it has a much better range. That would be fine to carry if you were anticipating a problem or happened to be working near some when an attack started, but not something I generally carry.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wasp sprays for self defense make great internet rumor but poor science, and IMO worse practice.

For one, using an aerosol in a manner inconsistent with its labeling is against federal law in the US, or so if says on the can.

As far as damaging effects, wasp spray is typically one of the pyrathrin compounds. Its like mustard gas for creatures with an exoskeleton, like insects. It can be very harmful, even lethal, to cats, but dogs and humans are largely not bothered by the stuff.

Yes, Professor Yuri, I stayed awake in Organic Chemistry :lol:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
There ya go... The flower 'scented'one is a right bastard

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scent-Magic...1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1354711587&sr=8-2-fkmr0

No idea what's in it. I found out the hard way spraying above my head sitting in drivers seat parked up, looked up, got some in my eyes, just a bit and not direct spray either.
Good job I Was parked outside my house I was useless for two hours bloody agony.

Found this on ingrediants. I am not knowledgeble to know which are the most likely to cause eye irritation.

http://www.questconsumables.com/msds/865519 BOUQUET.pdf

Yep fair comment. Would depend on time of year and circumstance too.
I'm wrapped up like a pass the parcel when outside in this weather so Mr Dog could have a mouthful of thick coat sleeve and welcome.
In summer with just a T Shirt on though.....
Do remember a MP dog handler once saying that if you could grab an attacking dog by the scruff of the neck it was fecked.
Also remember watching them train their dogs, the guy the dog was attacking was wrapped up better than a modern arnis player in thick padded armour..

In my experience just playing with dogs, they are very quick and will go for a hand headed anywhere towards their body from something they are attacking (even in play, certainly for real). Then there is the size of the dog to take into consideration.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
As I said before, you have to know a little dog anatomy. Their noses are built differently than ours, and have what amounts to some additional blocks or filters in it. So pepper spray is unlikely to irritate the nasal passages of an attacking dog. Their fur is going to protect much of their skin. You may get their eyes... It's not a reliable deterrent for an aggressively attacking dog; it may be enough for one that is simply doing a thread display to protect its territory. Pepper spray on dogs works best on the dog's owner... I had a funny call once where a teen came home, hugged his two German Shepherds and got a nice dose of pepper spray because a utility meter reader had sprayed the dogs earlier in the day. The dogs didn't care...

Here's the thing about a trained (or even simply abused until aggressive) attacking dog... There's a freakin' reason that we use them in roles like police K9s. They're damn hard to beat, short of shooting. They're built to attack and rip and tear... And if you're dealing with a pack? Good luck. Get a good barrier between you and them.

I once had a great dane that decided to play with my can of mace while I was out. Of course he punctured it with his teeth. I expected to find claw marks on the walls about four feet up where he was doing laps, but no. He just nonchalantly went over to it when I returned, and sniffed it, then looked at me to see if I wanted to play.

EDIT: I meant to mention we had some dogs in Vietnam that were pure poison. One in Quang Tri, named Clipper, had several confirmed personal kills of VC in the field. If he didn't know you (or sometimes if he did) and you walked down the run, Clipper would be in the back corner of his cage. He would stay there and bark ferociously. The instant you moved past the brick sides of his cage you would hear a twang. When you looked, there was Clipper bouncing off the chain link door. The handlers could handle him, but they stayed in close control.

Last edited:

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I was a kid, checking orchards with my dad a dog charged us. Dad reached out and caught the bottom of the mutt's jaw in his right hand with his middle finger and thumb sticking inside. When you hold a dog's mouth like that, they cannot close their mouth. I saw Dad do that many times, but, have never felt like I've had the speed to pull it off myself.

Had mandatory training at work once, where we were instructed, if menaced by a dog to either, Stand like a tree, or huddle like a rock. The idea being the dog would sniff you, and at worst, pee on you before leaving. I'm pretty sure that woman had never seen an angry dog in her life.

I thought you knew! Those are old Ninja tricks where you become a tree or a rock. :uhyeah:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
There haven't been any grizzlies here for a long long time... :(

There was ONE suspected sighting a couple years ago, but nothing came of it.
That was about 30 to 35 years ago. His next door neighborwas John Denver..... He lived on one mountain top and Mr. Denver lived on theother

cdunn

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Found this on ingrediants. I am not knowledgeble to know which are the most likely to cause eye irritation.

http://www.questconsumables.com/msds/865519%20BOUQUET.pdf

In my experience just playing with dogs, they are very quick and will go for a hand headed anywhere towards their body from something they are attacking (even in play, certainly for real). Then there is the size of the dog to take into consideration.

Everything on that sheet with an Xi next to it is capable of causing pain and inflammation of the skin or mucous membranes - usually, we expect that the eyes and nasal passages will bear the brunt of this. This is not a remark on severity, only that the reaction is noted to the chemical. Everything with an Xn may cause damage to health in large amounts or with chronic exposure.

Just as a note: Dogs have a nictating membrane across their eyes - a kind of extra eyelid that generally does a good job of clearing dirt and chemicals from the eye. I wouldn't trust a chemical weapon of any kind.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a big lab come snarling at me when I was out for a walk once. I was merely passing his driveway. I decided to square off and yell at him with all the confidence and ferocity I could manage. As if to say, "you want a piece of me." He slowed down then I stepped towards him and he backed off a step. I just carefully moved past the driveway but did not turn my back on him. Once I was twenty yards away or so he went back under his porch.

I brought a good oak walking stick from then on. But once he decided I was not going to run away in fear he stopped bothering me. Had I been a child though, it would have been a different scenario.

A trained dog like the Belgian Malinois we had in the Air Force seemed completely fearless and would bring down a man of any shape and with any weapon. I would hate to have to fend off one of those.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a big lab come snarling at me when I was out for a walk once. I was merely passing his driveway. I decided to square off and yell at him with all the confidence and ferocity I could manage. As if to say, "you want a piece of me." He slowed down then I stepped towards him and he backed off a step. I just carefully moved past the driveway but did not turn my back on him. Once I was twenty yards away or so he went back under his porch.

I brought a good oak walking stick from then on. But once he decided I was not going to run away in fear he stopped bothering me. Had I been a child though, it would have been a different scenario.

A trained dog like the Belgian Malinois we had in the Air Force seemed completely fearless and would bring down a man of any shape and with any weapon. I would hate to have to fend off one of those.

We have them too as the attack dogs. They look a bit like skinny German Shepherds which along with Rotweilers are the other dogs we have.

Latest Discussions