self defense against a dog

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Opening an umbrella usually scares them. Pepper spray, gunshots and the like. Throw some food one way and run the other way. I read in an article once the kicking and breaking of the jaw, but it would have to be a really good kick, I don't think I could do it. Fortunately, dogs and I get along, I'm a dog lover, they sense it, I don't have a problem with dogs.

First Action

Orange Belt
Reaction score
There are a few schools of thought here. One that I know works is, is you're going to run is climb a tree and/or turn sharp corners - dogs cant turn very sharply.

My first thought would be to pick up a big stick.

Ive heard about people letting the dog bite their forearm then placing the other hand behind neck and snapping the dogs neck - I doubt if this works but letting it bite your forearm is better than your neck.

Another one I've heard is spreading their front legs apart to break their ribs - Ive not tried this either but is somewhat plausable.

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Contributed by[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Jeevan Lim-Nunez[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Owner and course creator of First Action Self Defence and Survival Courses[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]www.firstaction.com.au[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]More free Self Defence related articles, tips and techniques can be found at[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]www.freeselfdefencetips.com [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Survival related tips can be found at www.freesurvivaltactics.com[/FONT]

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
Dogs without tails cannot corner as sharp as a dog with a tail... dobermans for instance are rather quite useless when it comes to swimming and cornering without thier tails... I have a King doberman with both ears and tail and the difference in performance is night and day... the tail acts as a counterweight and can be used to alloe the dog to perform many things that one without a tail seems to be useless at... I watched my dog spiral completely around a telephone pole to catch a squirrel and swim for 25vminute straight in a pond trying to catch a duck...

The neck break can work if the dogs jaw is secure and they dont turn thier head and release thier bite...

astrobiologist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I hail from the school of thought that a good kick in the stomach will be enough to slow a dog's attack so that you can then choose to defend or retreat. Honestly, I think one of the biggest problems people experience with dogs is they let their fear show. Dogs sense gesturing and anxiety.

I've only been attacked by a dog once, when I was younger. I was terrified and the dog bit me. I have two permanent scars on my right hand (defensive wounds?). Luckily it ended at that.

If a dog runs up on me now, I stand my ground and maintain my composure. I let the dog know that I'm in charge. I avoid too much direct eye contact, but I also don't avert my eyes. I also will not lower my face or throat towards an unknown dog.