Mother Explains Fatal Pit Bull Mauling

silatman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I dont think she will go to jail its pretty obvious she doesnt have a brain so its going to be pretty easy for the defence to plead insnity in the case.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
silatman said:
I dont think she will go to jail its pretty obvious she doesnt have a brain so its going to be pretty easy for the defence to plead insnity in the case.
I predict she'll not only go to jail, but it will be for greater than a decade. California has already set a precendent for trying for murder people who willfully keep dangerous animals that subsequently kill a human being. That very court, as a matter of fact. This situation is even MORE aggrevious than the last case, and I think it will likely resulted in this woman (rightfully) losing her freedom for a long time to come.

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The woman should be put away,no doubt.

The only thing *I* have issues with is labeling a particular breed as viscious. ALL dogs are potentially viscious.Period.

The difference is between recognizing and most importantly putting the kabosh on aggression and domination issues as a pup...especially in large breeds.

Most people think that it's cute and funny to see a little ankle-biter Yorkie go after someone and start yanking on their pant-leg..Ha Ha. Replace the Yorkie with a Doberman and suddenly it's not funny at all. The same aggressive traits are present in both instances and absolutely must be dealt with.

When irresponsible owners and a lack of knowledge about basic canine behavioral traits coincide..we have a story like this. It's sad,tragic,but most of all completely preventable. That's my 2 c's.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I doubt they'll give her a long sentence--they'll consider it a mitigating circumstance, or a 'sentence partially served', that it was her kid.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Paul B said:
The woman should be put away,no doubt.

The only thing *I* have issues with is labeling a particular breed as viscious. ALL dogs are potentially viscious.Period.

The difference is between recognizing and most importantly putting the kabosh on aggression and domination issues as a pup...especially in large breeds.

Most people think that it's cute and funny to see a little ankle-biter Yorkie go after someone and start yanking on their pant-leg..Ha Ha. Replace the Yorkie with a Doberman and suddenly it's not funny at all. The same aggressive traits are present in both instances and absolutely must be dealt with.

When irresponsible owners and a lack of knowledge about basic canine behavioral traits coincide..we have a story like this. It's sad,tragic,but most of all completely preventable. That's my 2 c's.
Oh, I agree. 99.9% of the time it's idiot owners who bear the full blame.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
I predict she'll not only go to jail, but it will be for greater than a decade. California has already set a precendent for trying for murder people who willfully keep dangerous animals that subsequently kill a human being. That very court, as a matter of fact. This situation is even MORE aggrevious than the last case, and I think it will likely resulted in this woman (rightfully) losing her freedom for a long time to come.
Things are different in San Francisco.

R

rupton

sgtmac_46 said:
Even if every single word she says is the absolute truth, she still deserves to go to prison for a very long time.
You got that right! And then to make such a trite and stupid statement like "It's Nicky's time to go, when you're born you're destined to go and this was his time." ?!?!?!?! That's so cavalier it really burns me. Here's a simple statement that I usually don't say to or about anyone but it seems to apply here: FREAKIN' IDIOT!!!!

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmmmmmmm. I went a-Googling for an update on this case and found this on our Dear Ms. Faibish et al:

<snip>

His grandchildren who live in the building can do no wrong and run, rollerskate, scream, jump off furniture, beat each other, and generally trash the place from dawn until 10 p.m. everyday, but don't complain....or you'll incur the wrath of
his psychotic daughter, mother of the kids (Maureen Faibish).

There is no peace to be had here. The noise level is unbelievable.

His no-good slacker son-in-law (father of the kids) doesn't even bother to live with Maureen, he spends 90% of his time in the dark underground garage, avoiding her, smoking it up with his friends (right up through your heating vents into your unit) when he's not throwing wild football keggers with his pals. His booming voice yelling at his kids (who ignore him) is a constant sound.

Another constant sound is Maureen and him screaming obscenities and putdowns at each other in front of the kids.

<snip>

Get the picture? Avoid Mr. Colm Brennan, Ms. Maureen Faibish and the entire Faibish clan.
http://www.ripoffreport.com/view.asp?id=11440&view=printer

B

BaiKaiGuy

I'm glad she got charged, she deserves it. She is a sad and sorry excuse for a mother, and I can honestly say if the case came my way I'd turn it down. She should be a chew toy for police attack dogs in training...

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Hmmmmmmm. I went a-Googling for an update on this case and found this on our Dear Ms. Faibish et al:

http://www.ripoffreport.com/view.asp?id=11440&view=printer
And her father, the Slum lord extraordinaire. I think I know this woman (or a couple dozen just like her.) They didn't mention anything about her pitbulls...probably just ran out or space, or the dogs were the LEAST of the buildings problems.

If this woman manages to avoid prison, i'd like to ask her to volunteer to help train my K9 Zane.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The charges carry a possible prison sentence of two to six years, with an additional four years since the alleged child endangerment resulted in death.

Although Harris wouldn't discuss the evidence that lead to the charges, she said witness interviews as well as physical evidence were involved.

"There was a situation in that household where on the day Nicholas was killed, he was placed in a situation that at least willfully, if not through criminal negligence, was dangerous to his health and lead to his death," Harris said.

Harris said there was not enough evidence in the death of Nicholas Faibish to justify a manslaughter charge. Nonetheless, the young boy's death was "completely preventable," she said.

"It was a very difficult decision," Harris said. "We are not in the business of vilifying parents, but in this city, we're not in business of allowing children to be placed in situations where they can be killed."
Two to six years with an additonal four years... just doesn't satisfy the mind does it?

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
This woman should be charged with manslaughter and child endangerment. I don't take issue with pitbulls as a breed, but I do take issue with the majority of pitbull owners. In my area it's easy to spot a criminal, 9 times out of 10 they own pitbulls, and the dogs are smarter than the owners. If we have a dog bite in our town, it's by a pitbull owned by one of these dirt bags, and they make excuses for the dog every single time (those kids were teasing the dog, blah blah blah). I told a lady, I didn't blame her dog, I blamed HER. I told her she didn't deserve to have kids or a dog.

One word on this: blame the owners not the dog breed.

Unfortunatily, the idea of owning a "pit bull" appeals to the criminal element out there. These people are trying to create an "image" of some sort, and they pick that particular breed to abuse.

But the key here is that these dogs are raised poorly, and treated poorly, and they grow up mean. THis would happened with most breeds of working dogs treated in the fashion that these types treat their "pit-bulls." Also, note that many times the media reports a "pit-bull" mauling, they aren't even pure bred pit-bulls - and some cases they aren't pits at all.

If raised properly, however, I am well convinced that American Pit Bull Terriers are one of the best breeds of dogs you could have. They are great companions, great with kids, and are all around a good family dog.

As you may have guessed, I own a young pit-bull myself. However, I tell most people that he is an American Staffordshire Terrier because that sounds a lot less threatening.

:)

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
As you may have guessed, I own a young pit-bull myself. However, I tell most people that he is an American Staffordshire Terrier because that sounds a lot less threatening.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
An interesting happening on the books in Frisco:

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2005/11/16/news/state/111505193909.txt

Abstract:
City supervisors passed a new set of laws Tuesday requiring spaying and neutering of pit bulls five months after the fatal mauling of a 12-year-old boy by his family's pit bulls.

The decision came in the face of a threat of a ballot initiative to overturn a tough new state dog law. It is the latest move in the contentious debate about how to regulate pit bulls after the death of Nicholas Faibish in June. "This will serve as a model for other cities in how to responsibly craft laws and policies that deal with dog aggression," said Supervisor Bevan Dufty, who wrote the ordinances. "We needed to do something."

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
One word on this: blame the owners not the dog breed.

Unfortunatily, the idea of owning a "pit bull" appeals to the criminal element out there. These people are trying to create an "image" of some sort, and they pick that particular breed to abuse.

But the key here is that these dogs are raised poorly, and treated poorly, and they grow up mean. THis would happened with most breeds of working dogs treated in the fashion that these types treat their "pit-bulls." Also, note that many times the media reports a "pit-bull" mauling, they aren't even pure bred pit-bulls - and some cases they aren't pits at all.

If raised properly, however, I am well convinced that American Pit Bull Terriers are one of the best breeds of dogs you could have. They are great companions, great with kids, and are all around a good family dog.

Exactly. Though, i'll also add one thing most people don't understand about dogs and temperament. Along with poor raising, poor treatment, and limited socialization that results in mean dogs, we can't underestimate the effect of junk breeding. If I have a junk pit-bull that's a little crazy and my dope head buddy has another pit-bull that's a little crazy, and we breed them together, because we're not only idiots, but we NOTHING about dog breeding and temperment....SURPRISE, we end up with dangerous animals.

Breedings from backyard breeders of pitbulls, who's only concern is breeding big, muscular 'tough' dogs, with bad temperaments and questionable stability at best, is resulting in a bunch of junk examples of pitbulls that are not only dangerous to the public, but dangerous to legitmate owners and breeders of pitbulls.

I think this statement follows in line with the article Shesula quoted above. Those people who can't responsible own a dog like a pitbull have ZERO business breeding them.

I wouldn't be opposed, at least in the abstract, to the argument that perhaps states should require licensing for anyone seeking to breed dogs. A thorough understanding of animal husbandry and genetic traits would be a good start.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Buying and owning a pit bull and defending the animal's temperment, is like owning a Hummer and explaining it's fuel efficency!!