Mother Explains Fatal Pit Bull Mauling

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
OH C'MON!!! (see bold) This article had me stunned with what the mother did and said concerning the death of her son. I mean why lock the boy in the basement... jeez lock the damn dogs in the basement. Seems that the dogs had more value to her than the boy... as evident by her fatalistic statement of the incident.
SAN FRANCISCO - The mother of a 12-year-old boy killed in his own home by one of the family's two pit bulls says she had been so concerned about one of the dogs that she shut her son in the basement to protect him.

Maureen Faibish said she ordered Nicholas to stay in the basement while she did errands on June 3, the day he was attacked by one or both of the dogs. She said she was worried about the male dog, Rex, who was acting possessive because the female, Ella, was in heat.

"I put him down there, with a shovel on the door," Faibish said in an interview with the San Francisco Chronicle. "And I told him: `Stay down there until I come back.' Typical Nicky, he wouldn't listen to me."

Nicholas apparently found a way to open the basement door.

Despite her concerns about Rex that day, Faibish told the newspaper: "My kids got along great with (the dogs). We were never seeing any kind of violent tendencies."

Faibish found her son's body in a bedroom. He was covered in blood from several wounds, including a major head injury. No charges have been filed.

"It's Nicky's time to go," she said in the interview. "When you're born you're destined to go and this was his time."

Ella was shot to death by a police officer the day of the attack. Rex was taken to a shelter, but Faibish said she wanted him put down.
Oh but NOW she wants to put the dog down... well geez I guess it's better than letting the dog have another chance at biting someone.
This is irresponsible parenting and pet-ownership all in one. IMO

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just read this on Yahoo! myself. I don't know what to say. It wasn't her son's time to go...she made a stupid decision and he paid for it. I hope they find some way to prosecute her--just a suspended sentence, maybe, but something that clearly says "You were wrong."

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boy, talk about an un-fit mother. This person should not even have kids!! A few things caught my eye here.

1- The mother of a 12-year-old boy killed in his own home by one of the family's two pit bulls says she had been so concerned about one of the dogs that she shut her son in the basement to protect him.

But here she says:

My kids got along great with (the dogs). We were never seeing any kind of violent tendencies."

I'm confused about those statements. Sounds like she is contradicting herself.

Next, she puts her SON in the basement??? Ummm...I think its the dogs that should have been in the basement!

And then we have her statement of her saying that it must have been his time to go?????

And no charges have been filed. This woman IMHO needs to spend some time in jail.

Mike

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
MACaver said:
OH C'MON!!! (see bold) This article had me stunned with what the mother did and said concerning the death of her son. I mean why lock the boy in the basement... jeez lock the damn dogs in the basement. Seems that the dogs had more value to her than the boy... as evident by her fatalistic statement of the incident.

Oh but NOW she wants to put the dog down... well geez I guess it's better than letting the dog have another chance at biting someone.
This is irresponsible parenting and pet-ownership all in one. IMO
This woman should be charged with manslaughter and child endangerment. I don't take issue with pitbulls as a breed, but I do take issue with the majority of pitbull owners. In my area it's easy to spot a criminal, 9 times out of 10 they own pitbulls, and the dogs are smarter than the owners. If we have a dog bite in our town, it's by a pitbull owned by one of these dirt bags, and they make excuses for the dog every single time (those kids were teasing the dog, blah blah blah). I told a lady, I didn't blame her dog, I blamed HER. I told her she didn't deserve to have kids or a dog.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are a lot of things wrong with this whole scenario.

1. Why lock a 12-year-old boy in basement while she runs errands? This is plenty old enough for him to accompany her on any legal, upstanding errand she has to run.

Options: Lock the ****ing dogs OUT, take the boy with her, put dogs in dog run or tie them to a tree, get rid of the monsters (dogs) ....

2. The kid had some kind of major head injury? What?!?

Options: I suppose it's feasible that he was bitten and mauled and either tripped and fell hitting his head, or passed out from trauma or blood loss and hit his head ... but rather than indicate he was mauled to death, the article (such as it is, an article) states he had a 'massive head injury' ... wtf?

3. The male dog was implicated as being the culprit of the mauling, however the officer shot and killed the female. She was never worried before about violence and these dogs so ... but thinks of the male as the murderer of her son.

Options: Perhaps the male attacked until the boy was down and the female attacked the officer. Perhaps the female killed the boy. Perhaps both of them attacked the boy until he staggered and hit his head. Perhaps Mommy Dearest killed her son and left him there for the dogs to maul and the female was protecting the body when the officer got there ....

She's lying about something.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
There are a lot of things wrong with this whole scenario.

1. Why lock a 12-year-old boy in basement while she runs errands? This is plenty old enough for him to accompany her on any legal, upstanding errand she has to run.

Options: Lock the ****ing dogs OUT, take the boy with her, put dogs in dog run or tie them to a tree, get rid of the monsters (dogs) ....

2. The kid had of a major head injury? What?!?

Options: I suppose it's feasible that he was bitten and mauled and either tripped and fell hitting his head, or passed out from trauma or blood loss and hit his head ... but rather than indicate he was mauled to death, the article (such as it is, an article) states he had a 'massive head injury' ... wtf?

3. The male dog was implicated as being the culprit of the mauling, however the officer shot and killed the female. She was never worried before about violence and these dogs so ... but thinks of the male as the murderer of her son.

Options: Perhaps the male attacked until the boy was down and the female attacked the officer. Perhaps the female killed the boy. Perhaps both of them attacked the boy until he staggered and hit his head. Perhaps Mommy Dearest killed her son and left him there for the dogs to maul and the female was protecting the body when the officer got there ....

She's lying about something.
Even if every single word she says is the absolute truth, she still deserves to go to prison for a very long time.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
Even if every single word she says is the absolute truth, she still deserves to go to prison for a very long time.
Agreed.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
Ya well it'd be interesting to follow this particular case and see what happens with it. I also agree that the woman should go to prison as well.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Did she think that propping a shovel against the door would stop a 12 year old kid???

Tragic accident?? Let's see having two of the most vicious animal on the face of the earth around my family. More like a Inevitable occurance. what next a surprise shooting in the pistol juggling family??

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Your sarcasm is noted Kai... (grins).
What is really odd is just overall the woman's attitude towards the whole event. It's almost like if she came home and found one of the dogs chewed up a sofa pillow or something... "oh darn!... (gently) bad dog bad dog... sigh, oh well just the dog's nature I guess..."
She stated that she has no regrets ... HUH?? :idunno:

This is from one of the articles
Faibish said she was concerned that the male pit bull, Rex, was acting possessive because the female, Ella, was in heat. Apparently, Nicholas found a way to get the door open and come upstairs. At that point Faibish believes he walked in while the dogs were mating and was attacked by Rex.

"It was Rex, I know it in my heart,'' Faibish said. "My younger dog (Ella) was in heat and anyone who came near her, Rex saw as a threat. He may have been trying to mate. It was a freak accident. It was just the heat of the moment.''
Oh gee a freak accident in the heat of the moment.
I've turned corners and come across dogs getting it on ... t'was never attacked ... if they weren't tied then they'd usually break off and split or kept right on going. Oh but they weren't pits so mebbe I just got lucky huh?

There's something really wrong here.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You know, it is odd.... In the third article that Shesulsa linked from post #9, the mother said she sent her 9 year old son to the store to get snacks (for her 12-year old son). Why not send Nicky himself to get the food?
Before she left the house, Faibish sent her 9-year-old son to the store to buy Nicholas a soda, bagel and chips. He also had video games to keep him busy.
Next, she lets daughter go to a picnic while she locks her son in the basement and runs some errands.
For one, she wishes she'd persuaded Nicholas to go to a picnic with his younger sister, Ashley.

I still get weird feelings why she would lock a son downstairs if she is so worried about the dogs? She didn't want to lock the dogs down there because she's worried about them destroying stuff in plastic bags? Priorities seem to be mixed up here.

And what is up with training the female pitbull to lick off her make-up?

...and woke Maureen Faibish up every morning by licking her face. Ella was trained to lick her makeup off and kiss her ear.
I think the mom is way too attached to the canines.

- Ceicei

A

AikidoCal

arnisador said:
I just read this on Yahoo! myself. I don't know what to say. It wasn't her son's time to go...she made a stupid decision and he paid for it. I hope they find some way to prosecute her--just a suspended sentence, maybe, but something that clearly says "You were wrong."
What the so called Mother did was wrong and she has some serious issue, if she has any sense of Motherhood her punishment will be a lifetime of self blame and grief. Regardless of how she tries and justifies or rationalizes it. It really bothers me to hear things like this, the way people treat kids.

This is so horrifing, in a weird way, to comfort myself from this horror of what I read, I think for a second with a Mother like that he might be better off in Heaven. Yet, I am so conflicted with the horrible way he died. I can't image such a horrible parent.

Jmh7331

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Something is definitely fishy here. I'm not buying the women's (I refuse to call her a mother) story. Anyway, has anyone ever tried to pull dogs apart when the were "doing it"? It's almost impossible. Regardless of how, what, when or why, I think the mother should be locked in a room with a couple pitbulls.

Bester

<font color=blue><B>Grand UberSoke, Sith-jutsu Ryu
Reaction score
I'm actually at a loss for words.
This woman, no, this piece of ****, needs to face her failings as a mother.
Let the remaining dog maul her to death, then put it down.
Let her feel what her son who she murdered by neglect and her own stupidity felt as he died.

A slow death. A painful death. One that makes her pray it ends.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Jmh7331 said:
Something is definitely fishy here. I'm not buying the women's (I refuse to call her a mother) story. Anyway, has anyone ever tried to pull dogs apart when the were "doing it"? It's almost impossible. Regardless of how, what, when or why, I think the mother should be locked in a room with a couple pitbulls.
Given this woman's attitude towards the breed, she'd probably love it. I mean if you are willing to trust a potentially vicious animal to lick off your make up... C'mon!
Ya, you're right she's lost the privaledge of the honorific "Mother".

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
MACaver said:
Given this woman's attitude towards the breed, she'd probably love it. I mean if you are willing to trust a potentially vicious animal to lick off your make up... C'mon!
Ya, you're right she's lost the privaledge of the honorific "Mother".
She needs to lose her freedom for several decades to come. That is justice in this case.

Latest Discussions