OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We all know the sparkling, flawless trust we can bestow upon the FDA ....

Looks like I need to buy some acreage to raise my meat.

Yes, My Trust in the FDA is real great. :uhyeah: :uhohh: :xtrmshock :rolleyes: Not sure what type of long term tests would be required, but I think the least should be required is a label and or sign on places that serve food, that cloned food is used.

Infinite

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Ok so I have a counter question,

Fact, Earth's human population is growing beyond its capacity to support itself.

Do we a) find new food sources (cloned animals)
b) Limit population growth (ala China)
c) Move to the stars and hope our technology and the universe will be kind?

I mean in theory we have to do these types of things and we have to just accept the risks because the alternative is a lack of survival for the species.

Thoughts?

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Fact, Earth's human population is growing beyond its capacity to support itself.

I mean in theory we have to do these types of things and we have to just accept the risks because the alternative is a lack of survival for the species.

Thoughts?

a) I think this will happen over time, I just want mroe studies to work the kinks or "Bugs" out of the processes.

b) Limiting Population may have to be a short term effective way, but some might not do it and then go after those who are limiting themselves and this brings even further division, without any religious issues or concerns.

c) I like this option, but we need more research and development. This means spending the money to go places such as a base in space and also on the Moon and also go to another planet. Until we develop suspended animation or FTL (* Faster than Light *) or near FTL, traveling to other solar systems would take too long.

D) Most of these would require a common push from most of those on this planet to implement on a global basis. Not sure if this could happen with the differnet cultures and religions.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Question - how does this reduce the use of scarce resources? A cloned cow eats as much as a non-cloned cow... unless you're talking about vat-grown meat, which is, I think, a different issue.

I'm not sure it worked all that well in China, and I'm really not sure how you would enforce such a rule in most first-world countries. One of the reasons China's birthrate fell was because so many families wanted boys - and therefore aborted female fetuses or allowed female infants to die - that they have now rescinded the rules. Also, China had a few tactics that wouldn't go over so well in other countries... like incarcerating women pregnant with a second child, forcing abortions and sterilizations, and other nasties...

I think we either need to learn to live within the ability of the planet to support us or find other sources of support - the question is, will we learn in time?

Thoughts?

See my answer to a, above - I don't think cloning animals will reduce the need for resources, and I have concerns about limiting genetic diversity by choosing to clone, rather than breed - what if something degrades the DNA of the clone line? As others have said, there are many variables here that cannot be accounted for - largely because the experiments with cloned animals and plants have not gone on long enough to determine long-term side effects. There may be none, or they may be minor - but I think it's a little early to put all the eggs in one basket... so to speak.

Infinite

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Question - how does this reduce the use of scarce resources? A cloned cow eats as much as a non-cloned cow... unless you're talking about vat-grown meat, which is, I think, a different issue.

I'm not sure it worked all that well in China, and I'm really not sure how you would enforce such a rule in most first-world countries. One of the reasons China's birthrate fell was because so many families wanted boys - and therefore aborted female fetuses or allowed female infants to die - that they have now rescinded the rules. Also, China had a few tactics that wouldn't go over so well in other countries... like incarcerating women pregnant with a second child, forcing abortions and sterilizations, and other nasties...

I think we either need to learn to live within the ability of the planet to support us or find other sources of support - the question is, will we learn in time?

See my answer to a, above - I don't think cloning animals will reduce the need for resources, and I have concerns about limiting genetic diversity by choosing to clone, rather than breed - what if something degrades the DNA of the clone line? As others have said, there are many variables here that cannot be accounted for - largely because the experiments with cloned animals and plants have not gone on long enough to determine long-term side effects. There may be none, or they may be minor - but I think it's a little early to put all the eggs in one basket... so to speak.

Good post I will reply but first lunch! :)

Infinite

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Ah, very good question. If we are talking raw input and output of mineral resources than you are correct. Likely it would cost more what with the process of actually cloning the animal taken into account.

Now take two stepds forward and we end up with clones that come out ready to harvest. This means of course they would gestate to adulthood but at that point we can presumethe energy usage would be less.

This can be said for "organic" foods vs non-organic foods. Organic foods cost more.

I do not disagree that cloned/geneticly enginered food is one way to tackle this problem that doesn't require global participation. Simply put if everyone is starving and the only food is genetically modified food people will eat it.

There are some studies that show population control by education is sustainable but the whole world isn't likely to play along (Look at Africa).

The native america's said the same thing. Unfortunately it appears that we are not animals we are a virus.

I don't think we were proposing to do away with the species... This is more just exploring additional avinues of food that may not require hundreds of acers of land and grass.

Should there be more testing? Probably but even then we don't know what we don't know. Lead paint was all the rage ;) and watching atomic blasts was required for a while in the military. We aren't the new age of guinipigs we are just catching on to the age old attage.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
After talking about this with my wife and her old boss, who came over for dinner last night, they both agree there really is no more danger in eating a cloned animal than eating the original.

Also, to save on the resources, you could just clone the meat. Basically make tissue cultures of the muscle of the animal, much like the way they are starting to do with human skin for burn victims.

Jeff

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Clowned cows?? What will they think of next? It’s always something!

While I’m not opposed to cows receiving some good ol’ fashioned clowning, I’m not sure they should be clowning around themselves. After all, preparing themselves to become a nice hamburger or juicy steak is serious business.

You don’t want the meat to end up tasting funny, after all.

And another thin— eh? What? CLONED cows?

Nevermind. :D

(apologies to Rosanne Rosanna-Danna aka Gilda Radner ;))

Latest Discussions