Organic seal may also mean "Clone-free"

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Associated Press - Updated: 5:48 p.m. PT Feb 2, 2007

*function UpdateTimeStamp(pdt) { var n = document.getElementById("udtD"); if(pdt != '' && n && window.DateTime) { var dt = new DateTime(); pdt = dt.T2D(pdt); if(dt.GetTZ(pdt)) {n.innerHTML = dt.D2S(pdt,((''.toLowerCase()=='false')?false:true));} } } UpdateTimeStamp('633060641012030000');WASHINGTON - When the government approves food from cloned animals, expected in the next year, the Food and Drug Administration doesn’t plan special labels. Government scientists have found no difference between clones and conventional cows, pigs or goats.

However, shoppers won’t be completely in the dark. To help them sort through meat and dairy products, one signal is the round, green USDA organic seal, says Caren Wilcox, who heads the Organic Trade Association.

While many people choose organic to avoid pesticides or antibiotics, Wilcox says the U.S. Department of Agriculture label also means clone-free.

FULL ARTICLE

So ... do you care if your animal food supply comes from cloned animals?

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Heck, if it is less expensive and tastes just as good, I'll be all over it.

Jeff

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I don't care, as long as the animal is healthy, the food benefits are the same.

Incidentally, clonal production of food animals makes no economic sense. Natural births are far cheaper than trying to clone an animal that all it does is make milk or will become a steak.

Lamont

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't care, as long as the animal is healthy, the food benefits are the same.

Incidentally, clonal production of food animals makes no economic sense. Natural births are far cheaper than trying to clone an animal that all it does is make milk or will become a steak.

Lamont
I'm expecting in the next oh, 20 years, for the muscle tissue being cloned alone for meat and grown in industrial labs. Could be pretty tender and still lean that way. Be interesting to see.

Jeff

Latest Discussions