PETA Hypocracy... don't know whether to laugh or cry at this.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
PETA’s use of First Lady in advertisement angers White House

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_ts1047
Wed Jan 6, 1:14 pm ET
No strangers to controversy, the animal rights group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) is up to its old tricks again. This time they've raised eyebrows by using an image of Michelle Obama in an anti-fur advertisement without her permission. The White House is not pleased, to say the least.
The ad in question features the image of the first lady alongside the images of Oprah Winfrey, Tyra Banks, and Carrie Underwood underneath the slogan, "Fur-free and fabulous!" The ads, which PETA says features "a bevy of the smartest, most stylish, and most influential women in America," are being plastered all over the Washington D.C. Metro mass transit system, in addition to appearing in various magazines and websites.
While Winfrey, Banks and Underwood are all on record as publicly endorsing PETA's anti-fur efforts, first lady Michelle Obama cannot endorse special interest groups such as PETA. Thus, the White House is mildly perturbed by the use of the first lady's image in the campaign.
"We did not consent to this," a spokeswoman for Michelle Obama said yesterday.
Me thinks this organization is going to be in a lot of trouble.

Then THIS turns up!
PETA's Dirty Secret
http://www.petakillsanimals.com/petasdirtysecret.cfm
Hypocrisy is the mother of all credibility problems, and People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) has it in spades. While loudly complaining about the "unethical" treatment of animals by restaurant owners, grocers, farmers, scientists, anglers, and countless other Americans, the group has its own dirty little secret.
PETA kills animals. By the thousands.
From July 1998 through December 2008, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) killed over 21,000 dogs, cats, and other "companion animals." That's more than five defenseless creatures every day. PETA has a walk-in freezer to store the dead bodies, and contracts with a Virginia Beach company to cremate them.
Not counting the pets PETA spayed and neutered, the group put to death over 90 percent of the animals it took in during the last five years. And its angel-of-death pattern shows no sign of changing.
(click on above link to see chart)
* figures represent the second half of 1998 only
† other than spay/neuter animals
» Skeptical? Click here to see the proof.
On its 2002 federal income-tax return, PETA claimed a $9,370 write-off for a giant walk-in freezer, the kind most people use as a meat locker or for ice-cream storage. But animal-rights activists don't eat meat or dairy foods. And during a 2007 criminal trial, a PETA manager (testifying under oath) confirmed the obvious -- that the group uses the appliance to store the bodies of its victims.

I've a mind to go to the next PETA protest rally with a couple of cans of red paint and toss it on the PETA folks ... while eating a triple bacon cheese burger... and scream at them "Murderers!!"
Serves them right I think...

The whole mess is probably going to hurt the organization either way. Lots of supporters will end up disillusioned and disappointed.
For all their guilt tripping ads... it serves them right.

Going out for a big juicy steak tomorrow!! Yeehaw!

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
PETA are on my dumbass list, been there a long time.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think this is going to hurt PETA at all. Their followers strike me as folks that care more about their ideology than their actual actions. Because, ya know, PETA cares about animals. They say so themselves.

Its only other people's actions that are the problem. ;)

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think this is going to hurt PETA at all. Their followers strike me as folks that care more about their ideology than their actual actions. Because, ya know, PETA cares about animals. They say so themselves.

Its only other people's actions that are the problem. ;)

PETA, MOVEON, I get them confused sometimes.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not that I'm a fan of PETA. But I am a supporter of the ethical treatment of animals. And for some reason, it doesn't surprise me that the Obamas don't want to be associated with this. They don't care about people, why would they care about animals.

omg, did I say that out loud?

bookworm_cn317

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
PETA shouldn't stand for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals; PETA should mean People Embarrassing the Tidewater Area.

Their headquarters is next door to my mom's office.

Can you tell where I live? :rolleyes:

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not that I'm a fan of PETA. But I am a supporter of the ethical treatment of animals. And for some reason, it doesn't surprise me that the Obamas don't want to be associated with this. They don't care about people, why would they care about animals.

The Obamas probably would be supportive... what the trouble is they used Michelle's face WITHOUT PERMISSION... and that is what causing them to be mad about it. We're talking about the first lady here... true folks are using the images and such all over the net but they're not endorsing anything, just jokes and all that but to say she actively endorses without prior agreement is what the trouble is.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But the White House maintains that PETA had no right to use the image of the first lady in its new ads.

PETA president Ingrid Newkirk insists her organization wouldn't have sought Obama's consent for the ad because it knows that she can't make such an endorsement.

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/white-house-peeved-michelle-obama-is-in-new-peta-ad/33479

Question #1: Where did PETA obtain the photo they used?
#2: Do they have a signed release from Mrs. Obama?
#3: Did the photographer obtain one?

Looking at the image used, it appears to be a publicity or posed shot, not a paparazi shot.

So, you have a case of someone using the image commercially without permission, IMO.

Public figures, while not having as much "right to privacy" as non-public types, still do maintain usage rights to their likenesses.

PETA can quote her all they want, but using her image without permission is going to cost them I expect.

xJOHNx

Purple Belt
Reaction score
As a vegan and an animal rights activist, this makes me sick.
The dirty secret has been known for quite a while, didn't know they still did it.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I too support the ethical treatment of animals. I am a HUGE animal lover. I can't stand to be without a pet or to see animal cruelty. I cannot stand PETA. They're a bunch of hypocritical morons, IMO. I eat meat. I get angry over any sort of animal cruelty. Animals can be slaughtered humanely. I have no issue with that.

Fur? I'm not for clubbing baby seals to death on the ice, but I don't have a problem with people who choose to wear fur. If you want to own a mink farm and humanely put down the mink for it's fur, I can't complain. I'd rather that than trapping.

Unfortunatley, there are animals that are abused. There are children and people that are abused as well. That's the world we live in people. Support a good cause, raise awareness to cruelty.

But...

PETA is a blind rampage. They'd be much better off raising awareness of how animals are slaughtered for the use of their meat or fur, than attacking anyone who eats meat or wears fur. Expose the slaughterhouses using inhumane methods of slaughter. Don't bash the person buying a pound of ground beef.

PETA doesn't even want fish to be kept in an aquarium. For this is cruel you see. :rolleyes: They don't think dogs or cats should be kept as pets either. Again, more cruelty. I guess they should wander the streets rather than be well fed in a warm home with human companionship?

They pass out their propaganda to kids. They pass out coloring books that depict mommy as a killer because she wears fur, with pictures of mommy killing animals! WTF??? (It's been a couple years since I've seen it so I don't know it it's still out there. But still...)

Anyway, I think you all know how I feel about PETA. Heh. :D

Signed,
An Animal Lover

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
PETA is a blind rampage. They'd be much better off raising awareness of how animals are slaughtered for the use of their meat or fur, than attacking anyone who eats meat or wears fur.

With all due respect, PETA doesn't attack anyone that eats meat or wears fur. They only attack people that they think are vulnerable targets.

PETA is loves to attack women. One of their favorite targets is the lady in the fur coat....yet the men in leather biker jackets are given a pass.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I remember back in my college days, I had a psych professor who said in class that he would not buy ANY product from a company that claimed that they did not use any animal testing for their product. He said that they were the worst hypocrites because they allowed other companies to do the testing and then used their research for their products.

I agree with that. If testing an animal will lead to a better quality of life or help cure a disease for us humans, then I don't have a problem with that.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
With all due respect, PETA doesn't attack anyone that eats meat or wears fur. They only attack people that they think are vulnerable targets.

PETA is loves to attack women. One of their favorite targets is the lady in the fur coat....yet the men in leather biker jackets are given a pass.

True dat. I was using hyperbole. :D

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
I despise PETA, much as I hate animal abuse, I love animals myself, but these people in reality dont care about the real abuse of animals. and they dont care what you think, or hat I think, or what Michelle Obama thinks, as shown by what they did with her pic.

Sincere organizations that really fight animal abuse dont get half the publicity or attention as these groups like peta do, because they are not interested in attracting attention. They are interested in helping animals. As an example, you dont hear about the SPCA or ASPCA as much as peta.

PETA are sick. Remember the "sea kittens" incidents and when they suggested that human breast milk should be used to make ice cream?

PETA disgusts me.

BTW we dont kill baby seals. For everyone's info, its another lie by peta and those anti sealing thickwits. Hunting white coats has actually been against Canadian law since the 1980's!

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I too am against animal cruelty... if an animal has to be put down or used for something then it needs to be done quickly and as painlessly as possible.
I love a good steak and love fried chicken and love ham and bacon... Like I said, as long as they're killed painlessly as possible then okay. They're bred and raised to be our food. Their skins/furs can be used for our clothing along with plant by-products (cotton, et al).

Would love a time machine and find the first person who came up with the idea behind PETA's inane philosophy/mission-statement and smack 'em up side the head and tell 'em to get a life.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score

Look, whether you agree with him politically or not, the Obamas don't want to be associated with it because PETA apparently are a bunch of nutters.
We have them too here, they are called 'GAIA' and are against anything and everything involving animals. They regularly protest at pharmaceutical companies because they experiment on animals. Apparently, testing whole batches of possibly lethal chemicals on humans is much better.

They have zero respect for actual people and see no qualms in abusing and insulting them, just to get in the news. Same as some of the greenpeace crowd.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
BTW we dont kill baby seals. For everyone's info, its another lie by peta and those anti sealing thickwits. Hunting white coats has actually been against Canadian law since the 1980's!

Apparently this is true. I was told by an environmentalist friend of mine (everyone has some shady friends :). Baby seals haven't been clubbed in a long while. PETA just cashes in on the fact that a) noone knows and b) people can't see the difference between an adult and a baby seal.

As for the seals themselves: meat is meat. I can eat mince and steak, and wear leather shoes. A seal would be no different to me than a cow.