Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061227/ap_on_he_me/cloned_food

FDA set to OK food from cloned animals

WASHINGTON - Federal scientists have concluded there is no difference between food from cloned animals and food from conventional livestock, setting the stage for the government to declare Thursday that cloned animals are safe for the human food supply

Also, FDA believes that no special labels are needed for food from clones or their offspring, the scientists wrote. Consumer groups say labels are a must, because surveys have shown people to be uncomfortable with the idea of cloned livestock.

Thoughts?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I predict the organic food industry is about to expand further.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In the end, isn't our diet mostly corn, anyhow?

But, I am reminded of the words of the President of High Council ....

Just because we can do a thing, it does not follow that we must do that thing.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The FDA has, to my understanding, approved the use of cloned animals because no known differences between cloned and naturally-born animals have been discerned. Perhaps it's from reading too much science fiction, but I believe I will continue to buy organic meat... as it tastes better anyway, and is, to me, worth the extra cost.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Heck, as long as it tastes as good as what I'm eating now (organic), I'm all for it. Should bring the prices down for high quality meat too.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It will still be higher quality meat than Taco Bell serves.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm wondering when when we'll get "vat grown" meat.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lower prices better quality of meat why not bring on the T-bones

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I dunno ... I mean it's eating the same thing over and over again ... geez... :)wink2: )

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Genetic diversity exists for a reason... I have concerns for the future if we become too dependent on cloned lines of animals and plants, and lose that diversity - for example, what if a disease attacks a species, and it no longer has the diversity necessary to combat it? My concerns about cloning food plants and animals come more from this issue than from any concerns over eating them.

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Genetic diversity exists for a reason... I have concerns for the future if we become too dependent on cloned lines of animals and plants, and lose that diversity - for example, what if a disease attacks a species, and it no longer has the diversity necessary to combat it? My concerns about cloning food plants and animals come more from this issue than from any concerns over eating them.

The genetic improvement due to mutation over time. This is a good arguement.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We all know the sparkling, flawless trust we can bestow upon the FDA ....

Looks like I need to buy some acreage to raise my meat.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay I will be getting all of my meat from the local butcher shop. (I know the guy)

I am a little surprised about this though as they clearly have no clue if there will be any long term effects. (it would be to early to tell) Also haven't several cloned animals gotten sick and died very quickly in the past?

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Okay I will be getting all of my meat from the local butcher shop. (I know the guy)

I am a little surprised about this though as they clearly have no clue if there will be any long term effects. (it would be to early to tell) Also haven't several cloned animals gotten sick and died very quickly in the past?
The main reason they have died "young" is that when you clone the cells, they are effectively the same age as the original.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The main reason they have died "young" is that when you clone the cells, they are effectively the same age as the original.

Okay that makes alot of sence. So if you clone off a baby or very young animal then they may be good to go. I still have some reservations mostly because there is no long term study. Unfortuantely it seems more and more that we are all guinea pigs with what we eat.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My wife used to be involved with a lot of research that involved cloning cells all the time. They'd have to go back to the "roots" every now and then too keep everything good to go. I'm sure the producers of these animals would do the same as well, since it was ten years ago when she was doing this.

Also, I have talked to her and other biologists who are involved in the same type of research, and they really don't see a big problem with this.

Jeff

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My wife used to be involved with a lot of research that involved cloning cells all the time. They'd have to go back to the "roots" every now and then too keep everything good to go. I'm sure the producers of these animals would do the same as well, since it was ten years ago when she was doing this.

Also, I have talked to her and other biologists who are involved in the same type of research, and they really don't see a big problem with this.

Jeff

There probably is no problem but it is kind've creepy. (my wife did research way back in the day as well on cancer)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
However I must say I am really not that picky. (I love food after all
icon10.gif
)

Latest Discussions