Favorite martial arts movie?

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Flash Point: features Donnie Yen vs. Collin Chou

SPL: Sammo vs. Donnie Yen

The Forbidden Kingdom: (comes out next year) Jet Li vs. Jackie Chan

Haven't seen these yet. Have to get my act together because I like Donnie Yen.

Definitely looking forward to The Forbidden Kingdom.

Jin Gang

Green Belt
Reaction score
Speaking of star vs. star...There's "Dragons Forever"...Jackie Chan vs Sammo Hung vs Yuen Biao (vs Benny Urquidez!). Most of the movie is romantic comedy/hijinks, but the end fight is actually good. A little in the vein of "Gorgeous", but with more comedy and less romance (Gorgeous also has a good fight with Jackie and his little white stunt man at the end, who's name I forget. He actually pulls off a triple kick in the air!) I don't classify these as martial arts movies, either, because there really isn't any except for a couple scenes.

I have seen Shaolin Kids. I didn't find it memorable. Also "The Master" was pretty lame. Jet Li really hit it big when he did Once Upon a Time in China, and everything in that era was decent quality. The period kung fu movies really made him a star and are my favorites. Unleashed/Danny the Dog also deserves a mention...I like the fighting in there, though there isnt a lot of it, and it's a nice story, too. Kiss of the Dragon has some hard core fighting in there, too, not bad.

I'm sorry...as rugged as Chuck Norris' beard is, his movies and style just don't compare to his Asian counterparts (It think his best moment was his fight with Bruce Lee in Return of the Dragon). Same with Van Damme...Bloodsport may be a classic, but it's in a different category "corny American karotty movies". Don't even mention Dolf or Seagull, or I'll have to slap someone ;)

I need to make an addition here: for fans of crazy, weird kung fu movies, Jade Dagger Ninjas deserves a watch if you can find it. My friends and I spent more than one late night marveling over it's awesomely bad dialogue and crazy stuff. It actually should be titled "Jade Badger Ninjas", which would make it even more awesome (because the whole movie revolves around everyone trying to get their hands on the magical "purple jade badger").

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Haven't seen these yet. Have to get my act together because I like Donnie Yen.

Definitely looking forward to The Forbidden Kingdom.

Flash Point hit theatres in Hong Kong last month. Wont come out in the U.S. Best action movie I have seen in a minute.

Flashpoint Trailer
Best fight u will see in a long time...

SPL aka Sha Po Lang
Sammo vs. Donnie Yen
Awesome fight!
Donnie Yen vs. Jacky Wu

Dragon Tiger Gate
Donnie Yen

Last edited by a moderator:

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
LMAO@JIN!!

I have come to realize I prefer asian action/crime movies over american movies. I find the storylines better and the action is a lot more intense.

Anyoen feel the same way?
It is ashame asian movies don't get the attention outside of Asia as american movies do. Donniw Yen for example should be a bigger star over here than he currently is. Im still mad he had that sorry role in Blade 2.

Jin Gang

Green Belt
Reaction score
In Blade 2, Donnie Yen was actually the fight choreographer, he just did a cameo, really (like Yuen Wo Ping does in a lot of his movies). He does a lot of behind the scenes stuff.

Certainly, there have been few Hollywood martial arts movies which compare to the Asian ones. More and more, though, you see Hollywood taking queues from Hong Kong. "The Departed" was a recent one which I thought was a great movie...I think I like it more than the Hong Kong movie it was based on, Infernal (Internal?) Affairs.

gnrail

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Best of the Best

While it is yet another Hollywood special I like the life lessons learned by all the characters in the story.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Karate Kid Trilogy excluded (K4 was stupid and therefore doesn't count as a Karate Kid movie) I really don't like "martial arts" movies in that most of the time the fight scenes are cheesy (in my opinion).

But I do like fight scenes that are either realistic, really well done directing/acting wise, or preferably a combo of the two. The Bourne movies are cool (though a little drawn out). Bare Knuckle boxing in Snatch was sweet. Walking Tall with The Rock had some bad *** fight scenes. And Pale Rider with Clint Eastwood had a sweet fight scene involving "The Preacher" (Eastwood) and ax handles.

That's all I can think of right now! :)

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Also, The Samurai Trilogy is a total bad *** trilogy, but mostly because the story line is so good.

And ALSO, since we are talking foriegn films, Brotherhood of the Wolf has some cool scenes as well!

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Karate kid I, II
Last Samurai
and of course, the meanest, the prettiest, the baddest mofo low down around this town...Berry Gordy's The Last Dragon.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yea Donnie Yen is really showcasing more and more talent and it is ashame his movies dont come out in the U.S.

meth18au

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I really enjoyed Fearless and Once Upon a Time in China. But I also enjoyed Ong Bak lots as well.

I did watch Tony Jaa's latest movie as well- it wasn't bad. Not as good as Ong Bak, I think it was called Tom Yum Goong....

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Kung Pow: Enter the Fist - joking! I couldn't resist. That was a stupid movie, wasn't it?

I loved Last Samurai and saw the Karate Kid a long time ago.

I need to check out some of the ones you all have mentioned.

Narsil

White Belt
Reaction score
I dont watch MA movies that much(especially good ones) but i usually go by actors not necessarily movies. So probably Bruce Lee, and Jet Li are my fav MA actors to watch. Particularly Jet Li's The One, imagine killing yourself 123 times.

MantisStyle21

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My favorite has to be Jackie Chan's "Legend of the drunken master" I think that's the title, been awhile since I saw it.

I also liked "Master Of the Flying Guillotine"

Fushichou

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The Karate Kid.

Not the sequel, which was OK but not one of the best, or the third movie which was just bad, or the fourth which was little more than a lackluster. remake of the first. The first movie just seemed to have the spirit and heart of martial arts right on.

My favorite lines, which I think many people really need to take to heart:

Miyagi: "Karate here" (gestures to head) "Karate here" (gestures to heart) "Karate not here" (tugs at belt).

It's not the belt around your waist, it's the spirit of the martial artist wearing it.

Latest Discussions