Favorite martial arts movie?

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Okay, if you could only recommend ONE martial arts movie, what would it be? NOTE: I don't mean training videos, but "cinema" types of movies.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Up until a few years ago that would've been a simple question - "Enter the Dragon" by a country mile.

Nowadays there's a lot more to choose from, especially as the burgeoning DVD-age has brought us many previously obscure movies from far away lands.

I think I'd still stick by my original favourite tho' - it's what got me into martial arts in the first place after all :D.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Naked Killer" Martial Arts and nude hotties, add your own cheetos and what more could you ask for. :eek: :idunno:

Seriously though, I would have to go with "Enter the Dragon" as well.

Ronin Moose

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.....the one that got me hooked was BILLY JACK!

-Garry

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Have any of you watch a " Zatoichi" move? About a blind samuai who fights the bad and helps the poor. Part comedy, part serious...fun to watch.

It was a famous series in Japan and other parts of the world where Japanese television was shown.

PLeas watch a few of these? You will find it very entertaining.

From a "Zato Ichi" fan!

"Lone Wolf with a child " is an excellant Japanese sword fighting show.

Today my flavoriate shows are (JI LI) latest movies!

Aloha (watching too many movies, only the eye balls are training!)

OP
newGuy12

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have never seen a movie about a Samurai before. That is a good idea, and my interest is piqued. That will have to be the choice for tonight. I know that there is a rich culture around the Samurai class, and it would be interesting to see it portrayed onscreen.

Meanwhile, my eyeballs are all that can be trained now, I have no Teacher at the moment, but am taking actions to engage in training!

No one cited the "Bourne" movies... you know, Jason Bourne, the spook from the CIA. Those motions that he does are aesthetically pleasing, they are so efficient. No wasted motion, and combinations as one motion... a count of "ONE", not one, two, three... many strikes become one motion!

I have seen "Enter the Dragon"!

t01880

White Belt
Reaction score
First response would have to be "Enter the Dragon"

but I am also a huge fan of Zatoichi.

I also really like one of the Drunken Monk movies, specifically for the montage where the main character makes the rice and gathers water. It's all part of his training.

The Samurai Trilogy is also excellent, and is a partial influence on George Lucas and Star Wars.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don't know if it qualifies as an MA movie, but I liked the fight scenes in "The Transporter"...

t01880

White Belt
Reaction score
Definitely! Especially the one with the water hose.

Jin Gang

Green Belt
Reaction score
Out of all the great martial arts movies out there, you seriously still think Enter the Dragon is good? When it first came out, maybe, I'd agree ;)Bourne has one short fight scene in each movie...that doesn't qualify it as a martial arts movie.

If I had to recommend one great martial arts movie, I'd say Fist of Legend.
Someone mentioned Prodigal Son, and that is a great one, too.

I'd rather give a top ten "must see" martial arts movies.
In no particular order, because I haven't thought about it that much:

1. Fist of Legend
2. Prodigal Son
3. Magnificent Butcher
4. Shaolin Challenges Ninja
5. Drunken Master (part one and part two)
6. Iron Monkey
7. Ong Bak
8. Snake and Crane, arts of Shaolin (because I love Jackie's crane style in here)
9. Fearless
10. Master Killer aka 36th Chamber of Shaolin

That's a good spread of different martial artist actors and different eras. Two from shaw brothers starring Gordon Liu, two (or three) starring Jackie Chan from the seventies. One starring Samo Hung, one starring Yuen Biao. Two of Jet Li's, and one from up-and-coming Tony Jaa.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Out of all the great martial arts movies out there, you seriously still think Enter the Dragon is good? When it first came out, maybe, I'd agree ;)Bourne has one short fight scene in each movie...that doesn't qualify it as a martial arts movie.

If I had to recommend one great martial arts movie, I'd say Fist of Legend.
Someone mentioned Prodigal Son, and that is a great one, too.

I'd rather give a top ten "must see" martial arts movies.
In no particular order, because I haven't thought about it that much:

1. Fist of Legend
2. Prodigal Son
3. Magnificent Butcher
4. Shaolin Challenges Ninja
5. Drunken Master (part one and part two)
6. Iron Monkey
7. Ong Bak
8. Snake and Crane, arts of Shaolin (because I love Jackie's crane style in here)
9. Fearless
10. Master Killer aka 36th Chamber of Shaolin

That's a good spread of different martial artist actors and different eras. Two from shaw brothers starring Gordon Liu, two (or three) starring Jackie Chan from the seventies. One starring Samo Hung, one starring Yuen Biao. Two of Jet Li's, and one from up-and-coming Tony Jaa.

I totally agree with you on this list. You are very wise... :)

I can't even watch Enter The Dragoin anymore...too corny. When I was young I loved it but got older and some more MA movies, I realized Enter The Dragon wasn't that great.

Shaolin vs. Wu-Tang

Shaolin vs. Ninja is a classic...flat out chinese vs. Japanese MA...kinda funny but very good.

I don't see how people rate Bruce Lee as the best. Pales in comparison to Gordon Liu.

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
As everyone here has already posted the classics, I'm going to vote for a newer one: Jet Li's "Hero"
It is entertaining, the Roshomon-style story telling is great, and it is beautifully directed. Also, it has a point, which is rare in martial arts movies.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Where to begin?

For somewhat more grounded MAs I'd say Drunken Master (I & II), 36th Chamber of Shaolin, Once Upon a Time in China, Fist of Legend, and Fearless.

For something a bit more out there try Kung Fu Cult Master (probably my favourite) or Warriors From Xu Mountain.

Hero is really good (fight scene with Jet and Donnie is outstanding) but if you know any Chinese history when you find out who the Emperor is you know the assassin is going to fail. Takes away the suspense a little.

Kennedy_Shogen_Ryu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It's not a movie, but you know those scenes in Family Guy when Peter fights that giant chicken....always keeps me riveted...
Ok seriously...
I'd have to say that my fav is The Karate Kid, I think it gave not only an honest depiction of the lessons behind why people train in Karate it also showed how special the teacher-student relationship is!
A very close second is Forced Vengeance with Chuck Norris....anyone....anyone.....? Ok so I'm alone on that one....

Jin Gang

Green Belt
Reaction score
I consider Wuxia and swordsmen movies a different genre. I love Hero, it's a great movie about the principles of martial arts...but it doesn't have that much actual martial arts in it (except the great duel with Jet Li and Donnie Yen).

Warriors of Zu Mountain, and Kung Fu Cult master...oh god! They are so crazy, they're good. All of Wong Jing's movies are totally nuts. They're just too much magic and supernatural for me to consider them martial arts...like I said, wuxia. You should see Last Hero in China, and New Legend of Shaolin...those are great ones, too! ever wanted to see Jet Li fighting in a chicken suit? Or Gordon Liu flying around in a giant paper lantern? In the same category might be Swordsman, Swordsman 2, and the East is Red, as well as the older movie Duel to the Death. A couple other older movies in the magical category would be Miracle Fighters and Encounter of the Spooky Kind.

I failed to list Tai Chi Master in my list as well, though it is one of my favorites...it just has too much wire stuff in its fights. The same could be said of Iron Monkey, but it is just so great. Also, I didn't want Jet Li filling up all the positions. Fong Sai Yuk and Fong Sai Yuk 2 should also be mentioned as good Jet Li movies...almost all his movies from the early nineties are great, though I think most of them are very wire-oriented.
They're all fun movies with good fight scenes.

I can't believe I forgot Shaolin Temple, the very first Jet Li movie...it's basically a two hour long wushu demonstration with a story built around it. *lol* but very good martial arts.

Once upon a Time in China is also great, part one and two especially. Tsui Hark makes some great movies. Again, I didn't list them because I think the fights in Fist of Legend are superior and more "real", and also Jet Li would have a top ten of his own.

Shaw Brothers also has lots of good ones...Shaolin Rescuers, Fist of the White Lotus, Kid with the Golden Arm, Five Deadly Venoms, and Return of the Venoms (Cripplied Masters)...Chinese Super Ninjas...
There are just too many movies to list. You've got to make a choice. *lol*

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
You and I would appear to be on the same wave-length.

I have copies of Last Hero in China, New Legend of Shaolin, Swordsman, Swordsman II (dont' have The East is Red but I have seen it), Encounters of the Spooky Kind, Shaolin Temple, Fong Sai Yuk (I & II), Tai Chi Master, and Iron Monkey. All fantastic films. Some definitely more martials arts, some more wuxia. I love 'em all.

Shaolin Temple is excellent. Have you seen Kids From Shaolin? It is Jet's second film. A strange and disturbing watching experience.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Flash Point: features Donnie Yen vs. Collin Chou

SPL: Sammo vs. Donnie Yen

The Forbidden Kingdom: (comes out next year) Jet Li vs. Jackie Chan

Latest Discussions