favorite kenpo concept or priciple

---I know we always preface the tech descriptions explaining how a person "normally" draws back and that gives us the time to make our entry timing and distance, yada, yada, yada....---

Keep in mind JB that how a weapon will be utilized depends upon it's mass. Most unskilled will pick a weapon because it has sufficient mass to supplement their intent. If the mass is significant, than "cocking" will be a physical requirement to gain significant control to initiate an offensive strike with the extra weight mechanically removed or extended from the torso. Don't forget, even a whip has to be cocked to acquire maximum benefit of the "whipping" action.

---But the reality, IMHO is that techniques like that have to be practices so much that when the actual opportunity arises your response isn't really the technique as much as it is a (hopefully) appropriate response that minimizes damage to you. As Doc might say surviving the initial attack.---

"Surviving the Initial Assault" IS a part of the technique in our curriculum, but it is so specific to the assault, the description is not included in the written curriculum, but designed to be taught by an instructor. Every technique and it is so subtle, if I wrote them, it would complicate the coursebooks.unnecessarily.

--- And god forbid you find someone who knows how to use a stick....then your screwed (dog brothers style). ---

Martial Artist skilled in weapons don't attack people. People who do attack people are not skilled with weapons. The street weapons of choice are blades and guns, usually to intimidate and force their will on a subject. If the primary intent is to cut/stab, or shoot, you won't even see it coming.

Originally posted by Doc

---Martial Artist skilled in weapons don't attack people. People who do attack people are not skilled with weapons. The street weapons of choice are blades and guns, usually to intimidate and force their will on a subject. If the primary intent is to cut/stab, or shoot, you won't even see it coming.

Could you explain this more please? It sounds interesting but I was always of the school that there are Sith lords and there are Jedi (sorry for the star wars) ;)

Originally posted by jbkenpo

Doug,

How far have you taken that technique in terms of "aliveness"?
And god forbid you find someone who knows how to use a stick....then your screwed (dog brothers style).

jb:asian:
Houston, Tx

Sorry to take so long to reply. I'm not getting notified of new posts... or being auto subscribed to threads anymore. I've notified Bob.

You have probably worked this technique more than me. I have done it fast vs a padded weapon, but not a live stick. And the attacker probably artificially cooperates on the block... I can't say.

I say the sooner you hit them the better. I like Borrowed Force and I think this is the first time I had it so that is why I used the example.

But I also love to use this vs a punch. Now that you have brought it up though, I may work it with the left outward going down at 45 Degrees to keep the club away from your head and see how that turns out. Catching the wrist is probably impractical.

If I were really scared of getting hit, I'd probably do Returning Storm instead, or hit them very early to stuff them and graft into soemething else like Defying the Storm which you could also say uses Borrowed Force if you count the bicep strike as a strike. Since he is moving toward you I think that should also count. I think I like Defying the Storm even better than Calming, but Calming was first.
:D
:asian:

Preparatory Torque.

This is another that people tend to ignore.

Hasta,
Billy

Anybody heard of a "Confluence of Forces?"

Think Body Momentum with Backup Mass, Directional Harmony, Rotation, Gravitational Marrage as you utilize Borrowed Force and disrupt or check their height, width and depth zones.

It would be a synergistic response to an attack and could apply to any technique. The sum is greater than the total of it's parts.

-Michael
UKS-Texas

Latest Discussions

Back