favorite kenpo concept or priciple

Hey Shawn, I haven't seen that one in the Encylopedia but at least I knew what it was LOL. Doing great and can't wait to see you guys when you come to Pasadena. Looking forward to having you guys run the line with us. Hope all is well in the Kenpo world there in Kansas City and beyond and don't hesitate to call if you need some help on something, Walter has my number. Tell him I said hi when you talk to him.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Originally posted by ProfessorKenpo

Hey Shawn, I haven't seen that one in the Encylopedia but at least I knew what it was LOL.

:confused:

I would interpret matching counters as an example: opponent throws left backfist, in turn we lauch a right backfist, striking above the elbow to create an angle of cancellation. Maybe that's it, don't know for sure.

This is mirror image- hence the right to the left with the same weapon - depending on angle of execution etc., of course;)

Matching counters, does it really matter whether they're mirror image or not, I don't think so.

Clyde

Clyde is right, mirrior image is the opposite of whatever you employ. like after a right inward block then you execute a left...

for those who doubt.. ed parkers encyclopedia of kenpo..
Mirror image...page 81
Matching counters...page 78

Man Shawn you can be full of info sometimes, your alright I dont care what jeff says about you! ;)

Originally posted by ProfessorKenpo

Matching counters, does it really matter whether they're mirror image or not, I don't think so.

Clyde

Yes it does matter, they are different. What you described was a mirror image matching counter. A matching counter could just be two right step through pushes from either person. Matching not opposite. Applications and intersection angles can vary widely. You commented how important "terminology" is...

Clyde is right, mirrior image is the opposite of whatever you employ. like after a right inward block then you execute a left...

see above and cross reference with the Encyclopedia.

id have to say that marriage of gravity is my favorite, becasue it was the first one that i learned, so its been w/ me the longest and ive come to see it in a lot of what i do in my normal live.

If you have a good counter attack you have a good weapon you
can use when you fight. I like to make my opponent miss his attack and couter attack after.

Thank you

SolidTiger

I think there is, but when I first started kenpo my first instructor drilled checking the arm or leg into me so it's second nature now.

:asian:

I think it was the principle that a wise old Kenpoist one told me.

"When you're done. Take his wallet because you don't fight for free."

Bill Lear and I came up with a new Kenpo technique last night. It's called, "Evading The Retard"

Defense against a right step through punch. We used a right step through because even though it is never used it allows beginners to develop their read time and then they can adapt it to other strikes.

1) As punch comes at you, step to 9 O'clock facing 3 O'clock.

2) Reach out with right hand and heel palm opponent's forehead.

3) Say, "Wassa mattah wit you?"

4) Cross out.

My new Kenpo system where you can fight and still manage to old your beer will be out on DVD this fall. When I sober up.

No worries... I have a new invention called the BEER BACK PACK, comming to a store near you! Then you can Kick *** (totally sweet), and get drunk enough not to remember until your family bails you outta jail a day later.

Here's to Gou,
Billy

Originally posted by shawn monday

I want to compare different principles...whats everyones favorite

If I have to pick one I would say Borrowed Force. I love Calming the Storm. I think it is the first technique I learned (or realized) where you step into them and hit them as they come at you. This is so funny. Ha, ha. "Were you going to hit me with That club?"
:D

Originally posted by cdhall

If I have to pick one I would say Borrowed Force. I love Calming the Storm. I think it is the first technique I learned (or realized) where you step into them and hit them as they come at you. This is so funny. Ha, ha. "Were you going to hit me with That club?"
:D

Doug,

How far have you taken that technique in terms of "aliveness"? I've found that's its pretty hard to time a guy that is really just trying to knock the sh*t out of you. You normally end up with a stick whelp across your face or ribs while the people that were watching are saying stuff like, "Ouch, that looked like it hurt!!! Are you ok?!?"

I know we always preface the tech descriptions explaining how a person "normally" draws back and that gives us the time to make our entry timing and distance, yada, yada, yada....

But the reality, IMHO is that techniques like that have to be practices so much that when the actual opportunity arises your response isn't really the technique as much as it is a (hopefully) appropriate response that minimizes damage to you. As Doc might say surviving the initial attack.

We always feel "good" about seeing just how snazzy our technique we just did was able to take out our victim/opponent, but in my experience of training on a very physical level its more likely your gonna get the crap smacked out of you. So you train for the best & worst, accept the reality of what your given and condition yourself to survive the encounter (even if it means taking your lumps). And god forbid you find someone who knows how to use a stick....then your screwed (dog brothers style).

jb:asian:
Houston, Tx

Hey JB,
I've found calming the storm to be a useful tool as a preemptive strike against someone with a stick. If they have a stick in their hand and you are forced to stand your ground unarmed, then attack first and use a wedge. You can always alter your left hand's direction if you see movement with the stick. I wouldn't wait for them to make the first move in this situation, you will probably eat the stick. Better to back up and find a chair to even the odds if at all possible. :shrug:
Respectfully,
Mace

I sure like the concept of moving into and shortening the attack of your opponent, whether it be against a club or a plain ol punch. It is cool to catch people off guard with by stepping into their action.

Latest Discussions

Back