Extraneous requirements in your school?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I recently found a nearby TKD school who requires each student to get and maintain First Aid/CPR certification and I'm aware that part of their black belt test includes an orienteering challenge. Candidates are blindfolded and taken to a remote location with minimal provisions and expected to get themselves out. I'm sure there are other things not exactly related to martial arts material per se but are good to know.

Do any of you have these requirements for rank advancement? What do you require?

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I recently found a nearby TKD school who requires each student to get and maintain First Aid/CPR certification and I'm aware that part of their black belt test includes an orienteering challenge. Candidates are blindfolded and taken to a remote location with minimal provisions and expected to get themselves out. I'm sure there are other things not exactly related to martial arts material per se but are good to know.

Do any of you have these requirements for rank advancement? What do you require?

It is not my school, but a local Kyokushin dojo has community service requirements for every rank after the first 2 kyu grades. Shodan candidates have to log something like a full 40 hours of service to be eligible to test. They are run as a nonprofit, community-driven organization so I understand why they do it.

I'm assuming the above example you gave is modified in some way for children or else they don't promote children to BB.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One of my former schools had a runnning requirement, something like 1 mile for brown belt and 5 miles for black.

Kinghercules

Blue Belt
Reaction score

LOL!
Seriously?
What school is this?

The CPR thing I might be able to understand but the other stuff......what?

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I used to attend a school where first aid classes and CPR certification were required if you wanted to test for black belt. Lower rank weren`t required to do so, but the teacher felt that as serious MA students his BB had a need to be able to give back to the community. He`d often organize collection drives for the Muscular Dystophy Telethons, and collect food for charities.He was very big on leading by example, but the only "requirement" was the 1st aid and CPR for BB.

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think if someone is going to be left in charge of a class they should at least have some basic knowledge of what to do in the event of an injury. If not CPR/First Aid then some other related demonstrable knowledge. As far as iron man contests as requirements for black belt, I find it refreshing. I find it refreshing that not everyone can do it so not everyone gets a black belt. I'm tired of the "feel good" crap watering down the arts to suit political correctness. OTH, I think there are more applicable existential tests (I'm not talking about combat, either) that would satisfy my percieved requirements of a black belt. Coming from a blue belt, btw ;)

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No it's pretty simple for my students. If they know it, can use it & demonstrate it... they pass. If not, they try again later.

Nothing else really. It doesn't bring anything to the table as far as them knowing what I've taught.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
They must be able to pick up a red hot urn with their forearms and move it out of the way this will brand them with a dragon on their left arm and tiger on their right arm.

YouTube_-_kung_fu-20080303-045544.png

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They must be able to pick up a red hot urn with their forearms and move it out of the way this will brand them with a dragon on their left arm and tiger on their right arm.

Ooooohhh.... never thought of doing that one!!!

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

YouTube_-_kung_fu-20080303-045544.png

WOW! I *never* would have thought of this!!!!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What is high rank? Black belt, halfway to black? How do you equate across arts and are there restrictions on which?

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

onthechin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Oh My God...if you need a survival course go talk to Ray Mears or Bear Grylls...if you want to learn how to fight, join a MA school! What a joke. Just spar and realise that you're not gonna need to do CPR! If the guys gonna have a heart attack, whats he doing there in the first place? If he does, call emergency services! We are MAists, not paramedics or survivalists..

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
We require high level ranking in at least 1 different martial training system in order to qualify for testing for black belt.

That is interesting. First time I ever heard of that. I can't say I understand the concept, but I guess it is alright as long as you know that before any money changes hands.

Many martial arts in Korea encourage a student who has acheived 3rd Dan to take another art to BB, then see if they want to come back.

Oh My God...if you need a survival course go talk to Ray Mears or Bear Grylls...if you want to learn how to fight, join a MA school! What a joke. Just spar and realise that you're not gonna need to do CPR! If the guys gonna have a heart attack, whats he doing there in the first place? If he does, call emergency services! We are MAists, not paramedics or survivalists..

Well, knowing CPR can help with other medical emergencies and injuries, along with basic first aid. In the Hapkido I learned, healing techniques are taught in preparation for 4th Dan, which is the first level at which you are normally allowed to have your own school under a GM.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would say that if you want to learn how to fight, walk into the wrong neighbourhood in your town or city. That is proper hands-on learning.

If you want to learn how to be a martial artist on the other hand, then join a MA school.

IMO the term martial artist has connotations that go beyond fighting. I think there are many schools that feel their remit as a community organisation being of benefit to those in their community goes beyond teaching fighting. Is that a bad thing do you think?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Nothing as extreme as what you described although I do think that wouldn't be a bad idea. Usually the only thing thats required is once you reach the green or brown belt ranks, that you start helping with some classes.

Latest Discussions