Executing a form with your eyes closed

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, we've done this before. Another interesting excercise is to start your form in a different direction. Our forms are supposed be started facing south (or toward the mirrors in our school). We have tried practicing by starting out in a different direction and it is HARD. I couldn't believe how quickly I got lost by changing my home base.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Miles said:
No, Master Tate. Was that in the Star Wars movies? Did they do Koryo? :)

Miles

You'd think Jedi would do higher rank forms than that:idunno: :jedi1: Ji Tae, at least.:rolleyes:

hong kong fooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have never had to do any forms with my eyes closed. but I can understand why sombody would want to try because it helps you to vision defending yourself . it's somthing I might actully try. good question

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
iv done it a few times just for fun...but i dont think i could test like that

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've never tried with my eyes closed, but I like to (and we're expected to) practice facing different directions. Facing different directions is sometimes forced- we aren't in a very big area, and different belt levels practicing different things... you get the picture.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
My instructor threw that in for us to do, when we thought we KNEW our forms. A real "eye opening" experience.
icon12.gif

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It was never a requirment at any of the schools I have been at but, at my green belt testing two of the 1st Dan candidates were asked to do Koryo back to back and blind folded. The first couple of times were pretty funny but, they got their act together and got it done. Needless to say the 3 of us who were testing for 1st Dan from our branch had it down fairly well. And of course needless to say that's when I found out I could clear seven people with a flying side kick but that's a different story.

I actually encourage our kids to practice the forms with their eyes closed. I believe it helps them with the feel of the form and their balance, while leaving them less dependent on visual markers for their form.

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
Absolutely. Almost every test through red belt so far we either have to face a different direction, close our eyes or both. I think it makes you become very aware of your movements and helps you learn control.

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I do it just to ensure that I know the form and to keep me from "landmarking" while I learn a form.

In my previous school we were required to do this during our black belt tests.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
Yes, and backwards too. We have a blind woman student who does pretty well. TW
what's the point of doing the forms backwards? just wondering.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Once or twice a week I do my six forms with my eyes closed, just for practice.

Chong Gi, Dan Gun, Do San
Tae Guek Il, EE, and Sam Jang

I actually enjoy doing the forms in this way. I can mentally see myself doing the pattern and not feel inhibited at all.

mcmillintkd

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
We once did this for a whole class of about 40. All ranks did Chon Ji and it was quite surprising to see where everyone ended up (a couple of colored belts were not even close). We are required from time to time to do our current form in class with our eyes closed as well as facing other directions.

Red belt testing there is blindfolded sparring. Several high ranking black belts will surround you and stomp their feet right before they attack. These are very controlled but can come very fast and furious. The one in front attacks and before you can respond then you hear a stomp coming from behind you.

Blind folded forms does help with muscle memory. I had to do dan gun recently and had forgotten it until I closed my eyes.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First time I tried it, I fell over :eek: My balance is not very good,.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gemini said:
Anyone else practice this? We had a black belt test today and the participants were required to do 3 poomses with their eyes closed. I understand (having had to do them myself from time to time) the reasoning behind it, but I thought 3 was a bit over the top. Anyone else require your students to do them?

Three does seem excessive. The funny thing is that I, without it being either suggested or a requirement, used to practice my TKD forms on my own with my eyes shut.

I got a lot out of it - and those forms that I did the most of it with I still remember parts of. The ones I didn't, I don't remember at all. Also, my ability to execute the techniques, relaxed and technically proficiently was aided immensely. Also, my range of motion for these techniques increased as well. Oh, and it helped me get out of that bad habit of checking the Dojang mirrors all the time to see myself practicing. Some is ok for helping to check your technique, but too much "mirror work" leaves you distracted and looking away from the true focus of each technique.

stingg

White Belt
Reaction score
My first instructor (now in college and moving around, I've trained under several) frequently had us do patterns with our eyes closed and/or turned facing different directions. I agree that it's very helpful with muscle memory, I've frequently found that if I can't remember a pattern, I'm more likely to get it if I start with my eyes closed until I get going. (Does anyone have any idea why that would be?)
Recently,I had an instructor (new for the summer) line the class up and have alternating rows turn around, and then angled everyone so our bodies were lined up like this:
.............../ / / / / / (facing here)
(facing here)\ \ \ \ \ \
................/ / / / / /
..................\ \ \ \ \ \
And we all ran the chong ji. It looked pretty awesome except for a couple kids in the back who started facing the wrong way. We didn't do it with eyes closed, but since people on 2/4 sides are going the wrong way, you can't follow them. It really reinforced the pattern rather than landmarks.

Latest Discussions