Escaping the clinch

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't know - if being taken out by an illegal move makes that illegal move a win, that seems ridiculous to me. That's entirely from the outside, though, and I'm not sure I understand the intention of that.
You are totally correct. If that happens (and it has) it was most likely errors in the judging/referee. It was much more egregious in the early years of Olympic TKD. Then the rules changed and there was too much cat & mouse, not enough contact. Now with the e-hogu I do not know the rules and scoring as well.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You are totally correct. If that happens (and it has) it was most likely errors in the judging/referee. It was much more egregious in the early years of Olympic TKD. Then the rules changed and there was too much cat & mouse, not enough contact. Now with the e-hogu I do not know the rules and scoring as well.

Keep in mind, most of what I've coached is kids matches at the local tournament. And those are chock full of their own issues, let alone the crazy rules.

I've seen the chest and head sensors in the wrong gear, the blue and red sensors on the wrong person, badly calibrated sensors that basically give one person the match. In the colored belts, they usually have regular hogus with the corner judges keeping score, and I've seen where on Mat 1 you have a score of 2-3 every match, and on Mat 2 you have a score of 25-34 every match...from fights with a similar amount of contact.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Keep in mind, most of what I've coached is kids matches at the local tournament. And those are chock full of their own issues, let alone the crazy rules.

I've seen the chest and head sensors in the wrong gear, the blue and red sensors on the wrong person, badly calibrated sensors that basically give one person the match. In the colored belts, they usually have regular hogus with the corner judges keeping score, and I've seen where on Mat 1 you have a score of 2-3 every match, and on Mat 2 you have a score of 25-34 every match...from fights with a similar amount of contact.
Does your organization have pre-tournament coaches meeting to discuss and show examples of what is and is Not a point(s)? It helps quite a lot. But the value can be diminished when you have more than a few un-certified or unexperienced judges. The very common scenario you described can be very frustrating for both parents, instructors/coaches, judges/referees, and the tournament crew causing an overall bad experience for a lot of people who attend the tourney. This easily has a ripple effect causing bad press and reputation for the tournament/hosting school publicly and reduced participation at the next tournament.
Oh the dominos.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Does your organization have pre-tournament coaches meeting to discuss and show examples of what is and is Not a point(s)? It helps quite a lot. But the value can be diminished when you have more than a few un-certified or unexperienced judges. The very common scenario you described can be very frustrating for both parents, instructors/coaches, judges/referees, and the tournament crew causing an overall bad experience for a lot of people who attend the tourney. This easily has a ripple effect causing bad press and reputation for the tournament/hosting school publicly and reduced participation at the next tournament.
Oh the dominos.

They do, but not all of the coaches are there at that time. For example, the meeting may be at 9:30 before adults start sparring, but then you're bringing a bunch of kids that are supposed to go at 1 (but probably won't get to go until 3 or 4).

Latest Discussions