Functionality of Clinching in TKD

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was thinking recently, about how Clinching works, in TKD.
Ill start at the Roots.

Of course, In-Class Freesparring functions differently, but im talking Competitions here.

Clinching occurs, because the Two Fighters come to a Close Distance in such a way as to make Clinching the most Practical Option; Or because one Opponent wants to attempt to stop the other from being able to properly Engage.

In ITF Competitions, Clinching isnt too common, due to the fact that one of you WILL be struck in the side of the Head with a Short Hook, or an Upset to the Ribs; Neither of which is fun against a bare Torso/Head.
In WTF Competitions, Clinching isnt too common, due to the fact that it likely wont result in Scoring, and ultimately serves as a Push and Pull Contest to see who can get out first, let alone fire off a shot.
In GTF Competitions, Clinching isnt too common, due to the fact that the Referee will break you up nigh immediately, if im not mistaken.

So, why would you deliberately instigate a Clinch, knowing the possible risks involved?
I conclude that regardless of the Format of your Competition, it is either:
A: In Offense, to force your Opponent to move where YOU want him/her to move, and to ultimately set up a more Powerful Technique.
B: In Defense, to 'Stuff' your Opponents ability to continue Striking you.
C: Due to the Distance, forcing you to either Clinch, or engage in an uncontrolled exchange of Hand Techniques, which although Brief, may not be too good for your Condition.

So for Conversation value, as if there wasnt already enough above; How do you use Clinching (If you use Clinching), and how do you find it is best used?

Last edited:

thelegendxp

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As far as wtf competition is concerned, it can actually be used quite often if you are fighting an opponent of a different weight class/height. Especially without the ability to strike the head with hands, letter B will apply and clinching may be purposely used for distance controlling.

If the competition is of multiple styles, a TKD practitioner generally may clinch to get out of the punching distance, but this may be dangerous due to weakness in clinch techniques such as holds/knees.

OP
Cyriacus

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
As far as wtf competition is concerned, it can actually be used quite often if you are fighting an opponent of a different weight class/height. Especially without the ability to strike the head with hands, letter B will apply and clinching may be purposely used for distance controlling.

If the competition is of multiple styles, a TKD practitioner generally may clinch to get out of the punching distance, but this may be dangerous due to weakness in clinch techniques such as holds/knees.
Well of course, in an MMA (And i dont mean like UFC MMA - I mean Open Tournaments) bout, the main problem isnt the risk of being kneed, as much as the risk of having the hold reversed on you. I for one know a Hosinsul technique with which you can effectively from any close clinch, provided one hand is on the persons back, and your feet are pretty paralell, take them down, and elbow them as you drop. Now, thats just the best example i can think of, of why Clinching can be a bad idea if the other guy doesnt feel like playing by your rules.

As far as Weight/Height goes, good call. Since a shorter person would be able to make better use of close distance kicks right after releasing a clinch.

ATACX GYM

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've clinched and launched linear body punches many a time. Essentially I trap-strike-clinch-strike. I "accidentally" dump my opponent on the ground (usually on his back because he'll frequently try to kick me from in close and I take that opportunity to execute a left or right forward stance right through him which effectively pushes/trips/throws him down/knocks him stumbling) in the clinch too at every opportunity.

OP
Cyriacus

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've clinched and launched linear body punches many a time. Essentially I trap-strike-clinch-strike. I "accidentally" dump my opponent on the ground (usually on his back because he'll frequently try to kick me from in close and I take that opportunity to execute a left or right forward stance right through him which effectively pushes/trips/throws him down/knocks him stumbling) in the clinch too at every opportunity.
Ah yes, Jamming. Or Stuffing. Whichever is preferred for a name; Serves as a good Opening in my Experience to force someone into an awekward or disadventageous Position. This is certainly a factor not properly considered.

thelegendxp

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm not quite seeing how this would work in a classical clinch. The two bodies are almost perfectly touching, and there should be no room for linear body punches, let alone allow kicks. Perhaps you are talking about short distance fighting in general? Enlighten me :)

OP
Cyriacus

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not quite seeing how this would work in a classical clinch. The two bodies are almost perfectly touching, and there should be no room for linear body punches, let alone allow kicks. Perhaps you are talking about short distance fighting in general? Enlighten me :)
Oh, there are kicks you can do from toe-and-chest touching range. Theyre sort of like rakes, but they work. :)

thelegendxp

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
yes, there are those arc-making kicks that do reach the head of the guy in so-called clinches WTF matches, but those aren't a classic tight clinch, but a short-distance position. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/47/Muay_thai_clinch.jpg
t
his is what I'd normally consider a classical clinch. Perhaps we have a terminology difference. I don't see a straight punch happening in such clinches, really.

OP
Cyriacus

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
yes, there are those arc-making kicks that do reach the head of the guy in so-called clinches WTF matches, but those aren't a classic tight clinch, but a short-distance position. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/47/Muay_thai_clinch.jpg
t
his is what I'd normally consider a classical clinch. Perhaps we have a terminology difference. I don't see a straight punch happening in such clinches, really.
Of this i am aware - Which is why this Thread is about Clinching in TKD. But on a slightly off topic note, i can never help but notice the one thing about Thai clinches - The one on the "Inside" has to hold your head at the back, and attempt to knee you.
But... If the other guy didnt clinch back, wouldnt he, you know, have two free hands and your entire body to play with?

thelegendxp

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I see. I've failed to recognize you were talking specifically about the clinch-esq hold in TKD.

Well they'd be free for a split second, and you wouldn't be able to do much other than to get out or get into a different hold position. If you just completely let go and still let the other guy have control, then, bad ****'s gonna happen lol. I guess you could attempt a short punch or elbow, but it won't outmatch what he'll be able to do to you in such position.

Latest Discussions