The clinch

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you are a striker, you may want to get out of a clinch so you can continue your striking game. Unfortunately, you have to be good in wrestling to be good at "anti-clinch" game.

Or good at a grappling art that is defense oriented?

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is the thing I think is a big criticism of almost every art. It's hard to train against what your art is weak in, because it's hard to train against what your partners are not good at. For example, World Taekwondo rules emphasize kicks to the point they're the majority of class. So while a TKD guy might have an idea of how to defend against a haymaker, they're generally not ready for combinations. (This is a generalization, folks).

Now, there are some arts that strike and make it against the rules to grab (Taekwondo, Boxing, Kickboxing) and others that grab and make it against the rules to strike (Judo, BJJ, Wrestling). There's also some arts which try to use grabs to isolate limbs in order to set up their strikes (Muay Thai). I've been trying to figure out how to categorize that third type, and I think "clinching" may be the answer, but I'm not sure.

And some that while isolating limbs, damage then to the point they are useless to the attacker; by joint manipulation, strikes, or kicks, as needed: Hapkido.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Or good at a grappling art that is defense oriented?
The term defense may be too conservative. When your opponent grabs your arm, you may

1. break it apart (conservative approach), or
2. take advantage on it (aggressive approach).

IMO, 2 > 1. In order to do 2, more wrestling knowledge will be needed.

For example, you can keep your arm straight up to avoid under hook. You can also let your opponent under hooks you so you can over hook his arm and crack his elbow joint.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
The term defense may be too conservative. When your opponent grabs your arm, you may

1. break it apart (conservative approach), or
2. take advantage on it (aggressive approach).

IMO, 2 > 1. In order to do 2, more wrestling knowledge will be needed.

For example, you can keep your arm straight up to avoid under hook. You can also let your opponent under hooks you so you can over hook his arm and crack his elbow joint.

I don't guess you can ever have to many tools in your tool box.

Latest Discussions