Equalize Sides or Not?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Having said that, do you believe in permitting a favored side to continue? Most people are right handed and can kick better off their right leg. Philosophically, do you work to extinguish the preference completely, realizing of course that it's next to impossible to reach the same level of performance on both sides? Or do you think it is fine to have a 'power' side as long as the other limb(s) are developed to a reasonable level as well?

And for the lefties among us, do you think there should be a difference answer for you corrie-fisted folk?

For me, this has always been an important issue. Having cerebral palsy that affects only the right side of body, my world is full of imbalance. I have much better balance on my left leg & am a southpaw by nature. I have better over all kicks with my right leg due to the balance issue, but I have much more power in most of my left leg kicks. As much as I want to fight one sided (ala Bill Wallace) I can't bring myself to do that. When I boxed, I switched sides to mess with my opponents.

Because of my issue, I feel I have to train both sides. But I probably would, anyway. I tell my students that I'm living proof that your opponent may not always come at you the way you expect or the way that you plan. It goes to your last question. One can't assume that since the majority of people are right handed that one's opponent (in the dojang or on the street) would be. We must take what comes & adapt.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Fourthly, I thought for sure that the source of the quotes in my original post would be obvious for someone as senior and well connected as you in all things TKD. I mean, it's not like Gen. Choi isn't well known even in KKW/WTF circles.

I have most of General Choi's books, missing maybe a couple of korean language ones, but I don't generally commit what he writes to memory because many times they are so erroneous that I just don't want to remember most of that stuff. I find it really hard to follow his stuff, to tell you the truth.

As you can see calling my post "plagarism" is a stretch at best and you simply got it wrong when you attributed this "plagarism" to being of Master Weiss. It was simply a direct quote of Gen. Choi's Sajeji Do, which Master Weiss recognized immediately.

Ok, so you plagerized General Choi instead of Earl Weiss. I stand corrected. :) that's the least I can do seeing how much energy you put into that post. And goodnight. You must be tired channeling all that dark side energy. :) But tomorrow's another day.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting. I was replying to your statement about boycotting the DD. So is it my answer that is off topic, or your original post? Or is it OK when you post something off topic but it's not OK for me to do so?

DD is off topic, which I believe you brought up in the discussion. At some point the moderator in another topic said stay on topic. So, I am trying to do that.

BUt you haven't told me any evidence. You said you boycotted the DD but even you admitted that "I don't know if our boycott was integral in it being closed or not, but it certainly helped. And the fact of the matter is, it is gone isn't it?" That's not evidence, it's an assertion. I am interested in seeing evidence that your boycott influenced the closing of the DD at all (whether integrally or otherwise) since what you're doing now is implying that simply because the DD closed at some later date than you instituted your cross-posting ban it was at least partially responsible. All you've done is engage in post hoc ergo propter hoc.

Actually, I said more than you quoted. And my opinion is evidence, although you might not think so. See FRE 701. :) But, let's assume you are right, tkd net had nothing to do with DD's demise. DD collapsed and closed on its own. I can live with that. Tell you the truth, I wish DD were still around. It was a reliable way to point out the undesirables, at least in the USTU/USAT/WTF world according to my seniors.

As was evident from the part of my reply that you happened to edit out, I stated that according to me recollection there was no great reduction in TKD discussions, contrary to your claims. I also stated: "But granting that for the sake of argument they were, can you provide evidence that such was a result of your boycott? I mean if it was effective you'd have some way of knowing that, right?" As is clear, my question was towards your claim at being involved in shutting down the DD. I'm just interested in seeing the evidence you have to make such a claim.

You're right, I'm a bad person and tkd net had nothing to do with the collapse and closure of DD. DD collapsed and closed all by itself.

So, in answer to my question about your evidence about your boycott being effective you tell me to produce evidence that it wasn't? That's a fantastic job of shifting the burden of proof. Unless you're interested in having a defensible position, that is :lol:

I take it you don't have any evidence. That's fine. No one wants to pour through those boring uninformative posts on DD. But let's assume you are right. That makes me a bad person and tkd net had nothing to do with the collapse and closure of DD. DD collapsed and closed all by itself.

It makes you a guys who is comfortable with comparing his behavior to that of a dictator. Whether it makes you a bad guy or not I cannot say. The only thing I have to draw conclusions from about you is your own behavior.

Whatever floats your boat. You must be really angry about having nothing more to say on this subject.

Actually I believe President Park was an elected president, who did a lot to modernize South Korea. A lot of people believe he was the greatest president south korea had. In fact, President Park did a lot for Taekwondo and Hapkido, to the point where two of my teachers, GM JI Han Jae and GM PARK Hae Man both worked for him at the Bluehouse for 18 years. Many Taekwondo masters also have his calligraphy hanging up in their dojang, the "Kukki Taekwondo" one. So I don't really think I compare to President PARK Chung Hee. And I am not so sure that he was directly responsible for making the majority of Korean born ITF instructors leave the ITF, which is an assumption on your part.

And my point was it would be childish for the MT owners to ban people simply because they posted on another board.

Frankly, I think it is childish of you to spend all this hostility and energy just because you have nothing else to say with regard to this or other topics that we have discussed, especially given the fact that you recognize that I am your senior. But that's ok. Keep going if you feel like it.

Not at all. Nowhere did I imply that "anytime" someone boycots something they are childish. My comments were very specific to what they referred.

Ok, so other people can boycott stuff, but if I do it, you judge me childish and compare me to "dictators". Got it.

The very idea that I would start a list of my own simply to ban you is hysterical. It's on a par with someone banning people because they posted on another list in its childishness :lol:

It was a joke. One thing thing though, tkd net is a private forum and we reserve the right to choose our membership. I think it is childish to assume that everyone has a right to join.

Dakin Burdick "Glenn's claim that his post on Dojang_Digest was changed is a
new one. He got kicked off the list for insulting other
members of the list (me and Ray, actually). To my knowledge,
his post was never changed, and I believe he would have mentioned
it in the multitude of flames he sent me in the year following
this event. Glenn definitely shows innae (perseverance) but
needs to work on ye ui (courtesy)."

Frankly, Dakin is an idiot who speaks about things that he doesn't know anything about. How does he know whether it was a new claim or not? By the way, a lot of original tkd net members originally came from DD, and they knew why I left.

(Interstingly, Dakin also takes up the topic of whether or not he "admitted" to you there were errors in his paper on the history of TKD, which you posted about on here earlier:

That is what he said publicly. But he admitted to me several times when we were going line by line on how erroneous his history was. There are several historical articles that have been published since that also point out how erroneous his stuff is. If he doesn't want to admit it in the face of all that, then I suppose that is his right.

"Perhaps we can never be friends again, but at least we don't have to be enemies..."

Again, DD served a good purpose, namely it identified undesireables. Frankly, I wish it were still around.

"I have been told not to post on the DD which is only for low rank whiners who have nothing but negative ambitions for the new national TKD federation.

That's true. :)

I could go on, but why?

Go ahead if you want. I don't deny I have upset a lot of people with the things I write. One guy told me that if I believed everything I wrote, then that would mean that everything he knew about Taekwondo was wrong. I'm not on earth to win popularity contests, especially with DD types. I look at how my peers and my seniors react, not the juniors who do not wish to listen and feel they can do whatever they want. That's basically the dynamic between tkd net and DD. As a supporter of DD, get as mad and as hostile as you possibly can, and you make my point for me. Keep going.

I'm sorry, this just strikes me as being very funny. Are you looking for a free dinner from me? Or is this a martial-arts-movie-esque-veiled-threat? :lol:

I will show up to your school if that is ok with you. What's your school address? I will buy the dinner.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
DD is off topic, which I believe you brought up in the discussion. At some point the moderator in another topic said stay on topic. So, I am trying to do that.

And I totally believe you, too! ;)

My original comment about the DD was the following: "Glenn, you're so funny. I spent about 15 minutes reading posts in the archives from the Dojang Digest last night by people who had the pleasure of interacting with you on tkdnet. The highlighted statement above really demonstrates that things haven't changed for you ;)"

It was in reply to a post you made in which you attempted to insult me. Your attempt at that was pretty humorous, too ;)

Actually, I said more than you quoted. And my opinion is evidence, although you might not think so. See FRE 701. :)

Yeah, sorry, I was talking about logic, not the law. There's a differnce as anyone who has taken a few philosophy courses knows.

But, let's assume you are right, tkd net had nothing to do with DD's demise. DD collapsed and closed on its own. I can live with that. Tell you the truth, I wish DD were still around. It was a reliable way to point out the undesirables, at least in the USTU/USAT/WTF world according to my seniors.

:lol: Yes, I'm sure you do wish it was still around.

You're right, I'm a bad person and tkd net had nothing to do with the collapse and closure of DD. DD collapsed and closed all by itself.

Sorry, Glenn, you don't get to put words in my mouth :)

I take it you don't have any evidence. That's fine. No one wants to pour through those boring uninformative posts on DD. But let's assume you are right. That makes me a bad person and tkd net had nothing to do with the collapse and closure of DD. DD collapsed and closed all by itself.

It doesn't make you a bad person, Glenn, it just makes you someone who refuses to back up their claims with evidence (despite saying you answer all the questions people ask you). Like I said, you're just shifting the burden of proof.

Whatever floats your boat. You must be really angry about having nothing more to say on this subject.

Quite the contrary, I'm not angry at all. I do find this whole interaction with you rather amusing, in fact :lol:

Actually I believe President Park was an elected president, who did a lot to modernize South Korea. A lot of people believe he was the greatest president south korea had. In fact, President Park did a lot for Taekwondo and Hapkido, to the point where two of my teachers, GM JI Han Jae and GM PARK Hae Man both worked for him at the Bluehouse for 18 years. Many Taekwondo masters also have his calligraphy hanging up in their dojang, the "Kukki Taekwondo" one. So I don't really think I compare to President PARK Chung Hee. And I am not so sure that he was directly responsible for making the majority of Korean born ITF instructors leave the ITF, which is an assumption on your part.

Oh, Park improved the SK economy, certainly. But you should do a bit of reading up on modern Korean history if you think Park wasn't a dictator.

Frankly, I think it is childish of you to spend all this hostility and energy just because you have nothing else to say with regard to this or other topics that we have discussed, especially given the fact that you recognize that I am your senior. But that's ok. Keep going if you feel like it.

So, since you're senior to me in rank I should just shut up? Now, I do have to say that I find that a childish position to take :lol: You claimed you answer all the questions people ask you but you haven't answered any of mine (and no telling me that I should produce evidence to contradict what you've said isn't an answer :lol: ).

And don't worry about my "hostility and energy," as I have no hostility towards you and have put in very little energy answering your posts (akmost none has been needed given the quality of your replies to me ;) ).

Ok, so other people can boycott stuff, but if I do it, you judge me childish and compare me to "dictators". Got it.

On the contrary, the only thing I said in relation to boycotting something being childish was in regards to your issuing a blanket "boycott" wherein anyone on your list would be banned if they dared to post on the DD. And for the record, yes, I think that is childish in the extreme :lol:

As for comparing you to a dictator, you did that to yourself, remember?

It was a joke. One thing thing though, tkd net is a private forum and we reserve the right to choose our membership. I think it is childish to assume that everyone has a right to join.

I have no problem with private internet forums or lists or anything like that at all. In fact I have been a member of more than one. No, what I found childish was your policy since it was obviously the result of you being banned from the DD for insulting Dakin and Ray.

Frankly, Dakin is an idiot who speaks about things that he doesn't know anything about. How does he know whether it was a new claim or not?

Oh, good, it looks like you don't insult people any more ;)

By the way, a lot of original tkd net members originally came from DD, and they knew why I left.

I'm sure they did and I'm glad that you have a big list that has lots of people on it that don't have to worry about posting anywhere you don't want them to.

That is what he said publicly. But he admitted to me several times when we were going line by line on how erroneous his history was.

I'm sure he did, and I have no reason to doubt you given your behavior so far :)

There are several historical articles that have been published since that also point out how erroneous his stuff is. If he doesn't want to admit it in the face of all that, then I suppose that is his right.

It's the nature of academia to have people question your claims and your interpretation of facts. There's really only one or perhaps two publications that even approach anything like a serious academic journal for martial arts so it's not like there is a ton of peer reviewing going on. But Dakin's a big boy, I'm sure he can handle himself in that regard.

Again, DD served a good purpose, namely it identified undesireables. Frankly, I wish it were still around.

Yes, I'm sure you do :)

That's true. :)

Oops, you forgot the rest of the quote I posted: "Then I was kicked off the other list for requesting additional reasoning for why or how this would be helpful."

:lol:

Go ahead if you want.

No need. I'm doing what's called "giving you enough rope."

I don't deny I have upset a lot of people with the things I write. One guy told me that if I believed everything I wrote, then that would mean that everything he knew about Taekwondo was wrong.

Oh, no you mean purveyor of earth shattering secrets, you! Next thing you know you'll tell people TKD isn't 2,000 years old! No!

Oh, wait. Never mind ;)

I'm not on earth to win popularity contests, especially with DD types. I look at how my peers and my seniors react, not the juniors who do not wish to listen and feel they can do whatever they want. That's basically the dynamic between tkd net and DD. As a supporter of DD, get as mad and as hostile as you possibly can, and you make my point for me. Keep going.

:lol: If by "mad and ... hostile" you mean being amused by your reaction to a post I made about getting booted from your list then sure ;)

I will show up to your school if that is ok with you. What's your school address? I will buy the dinner.

:lol: You crack me up, brother!

Pax,

Chris

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
It was in reply to a post you made in which you attempted to insult me.

if you say so.

Yeah, sorry, I was talking about logic, not the law. There's a differnce as anyone who has taken a few philosophy courses knows.

ok.

:lol: Yes, I'm sure you do wish it was still around.

I actually do, because now all those people who defiantly thumbed their noses at tkd net have no home now. The majority of people have faded off. But the list was tired and dying anyway so I guess it doesn't matter.

Sorry, Glenn, you don't get to put words in my mouth :)

Glenn, it just makes you someone who refuses to back up their claims with evidence (despite saying you answer all the questions people ask you). Like I said, you're just shifting the burden of proof.

Yeah, me refusing to back up my claims with evidence. Try your best proving that one, with your "evidence". And I like the way that you don't have to offer "evidence", but I have to, that your perception, as limited as it is since you weren't on the list for all that long, has validity, but not mine. What do you want me to provide "evidence" of next, that General Choi really wasn't a 2nd Dan in Karate?

Quite the contrary, I'm not angry at all. I do find this whole interaction with you rather amusing, in fact :lol:

Your angry hostile posts to the contrary not withstanding. My suggestion: Try getting into a few more self defense situations. Then maybe you might not be so concerned about all those left and right side scenarios.

Oh, Park improved the SK economy, certainly. But you should do a bit of reading up on modern Korean history if you think Park wasn't a dictator.

I did read up, and also spoke with people who worked for and under President Park, people like GM Ji and GM Park, as well as people who lived in Korea when he was President. Ask most south koreans and they will tell you that President Park was a good president, the best president. But I guess you know better than them, just like you know better than me. Maybe not General Choi though, who President Park made leave the country for several years. I do find it interesting that you object so much to President Park because you think of him as a dictator, and yet you train in a style that was created by a dictator (General Choi) who right before he died passed his organization to North Korea and North Korea's IOC member. How does that work?

So, since you're senior to me in rank I should just shut up?

No, by all means be who you really are.

You claimed you answer all the questions people ask you but you haven't answered any of mine (and no telling me that I should produce evidence to contradict what you've said isn't an answer :lol: ).

Actually, I said I try to answer all questions posed to me. I can't be responsible for your reaction or rejection of my response. That's your problem, not mine. But it is kind of interesting that you want me to provide "evidence" to your satisfaction, but are unwilling or unable to do the same for me. In your philosophy class, what did they call it when someone does that?

And don't worry about my "hostility and energy," as I have no hostility towards you and have put in very little energy answering your posts (akmost none has been needed given the quality of your replies to me ;) ).

I'm not worried. You do what you have to do and be who you really are.

On the contrary, the only thing I said in relation to boycotting something being childish was in regards to your issuing a blanket "boycott" wherein anyone on your list would be banned if they dared to post on the DD. And for the record, yes, I think that is childish in the extreme :lol:

I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion. Most people complied willingly and freely. The ones that didn't, at least the USTU types, were defiant or rebellious not with the program types who did really negative things, which caused a lot of people to suffer. But I guess you don't really care about that, since you always ignore that point.

As for comparing you to a dictator, you did that to yourself, remember?

Actually I never did that. You did, in assuming that President Park ordered Korean born ITF members to join Kukki Taekwondo. I think President Park was concerned about bigger things than General Choi.

I have no problem with private internet forums or lists or anything like that at all. In fact I have been a member of more than one. No, what I found childish was your policy since it was obviously the result of you being banned from the DD for insulting Dakin and Ray.

That is Dakin's story. But as usual, Dakin is misinformed. If you want, we can go through some of his article and point out all the errors. But what would be the point. No one takes his article seriously, not since the Modern History translation came out.

Oh, good, it looks like you don't insult people any more ;)

I do is tell the truth, which some people (including you) consider insulting.

I'm sure they did and I'm glad that you have a big list that has lots of people on it that don't have to worry about posting anywhere you don't want them to.

Actually I think it is a pretty big list that has lots of people on it that don't have to worry about posting anywhere I or my seniors don't want them to. In fact, the overwhelming majority always felt like that, since it was no big deal to not post on DD. I am actually quite surprised at how many people read the list and/or forward them on to others, both nationally and internationally. Just recently I was told that the US National Poomsae Team were talking about the info on the list at the World Poomsae Championships.

I'm sure he did, and I have no reason to doubt you given your behavior so far :)

I wish I could say the same for you and your behavior.

It's the nature of academia to have people question your claims and your interpretation of facts. There's really only one or perhaps two publications that even approach anything like a serious academic journal for martial arts so it's not like there is a ton of peer reviewing going on. But Dakin's a big boy, I'm sure he can handle himself in that regard.

Which one or two publications do you consider to be serious academic journals? I ask because I don't see any. And dakin's taken care of himself by fading off.

Oops, you forgot the rest of the quote I posted: "Then I was kicked off the other list for requesting additional reasoning for why or how this would be helpful."

Didn't forget, just didn't want to include parts that obviously is false. That's not a reason to get kicked off tkd net, anymore than asking one or two questions would be. Most of the people who got kicked off of tkd net got taken off because the list members got tired of their BS, and when they left, we actively encouraged them to join DD. And Ray Terry, in his infinite foolishness, gladly took them in, thinking that every once in a while, he could count on them to flame me. But what he didn't realize was that those people had problems over and above that small benefit to him.

No need. I'm doing what's called "giving you enough rope."

Funny but that is exactly what someone said I was doing with you, giving you enough rope.

Oh, no you mean purveyor of earth shattering secrets, you! Next thing you know you'll tell people TKD isn't 2,000 years old! No!

Yeah, General Choi already blew the lid off that one when he claimed Taekwondo was founded in April 1955, which was false by the way.

If by "mad and ... hostile" you mean being amused by your reaction to a post I made about getting booted from your list then sure ;)

Try reading your posts. You sound really angry and upset, which goes back to that clear pattern that DD types go through after they run out of stuff to come back with in their discussions with me. they go for the personal attack, throwing everything including the kitchen sink at me, in the hopes some of it sticks. But like I said, keep going, you make my point for me, in spite of your denials to the contrary.

You crack me up, brother!

You're Ray Terry's brother, not mine. By the way, someone told me you are 29 years old and don't have a school of your own. Is that true? If so, that explains a lot. Feel free to ignore the questions if it makes you concerned or otherwise uncomfortable.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
I actually do, because now all those people who defiantly thumbed their noses at tkd net have no home now. The majority of people have faded off. But the list was tired and dying anyway so I guess it doesn't matter.

"[D]efiantly thumbed their noses at tkd net"? :lol: I'm glad to see you don't take yourself too seriously, or anything ;)

Yeah, me refusing to back up my claims with evidence. Try your best proving that one, with your "evidence". And I like the way that you don't have to offer "evidence", but I have to, that your perception, as limited as it is since you weren't on the list for all that long, has validity, but not mine. What do you want me to provide "evidence" of next, that General Choi really wasn't a 2nd Dan in Karate?

Glenn, all you have done is shown that you equate assertions with evidence. You may not realize it, but asserting something isn't the same thing as proving it (let alone even offering evidence for it), of which I'm sure you're well aware. You might want me to believe what you say, but you haven't given me any reason to do so.

I might also point out that, strictly speaking, belief and knowledge are different things so even if I did believe anything you said, absent verifiable evidence it wouldn't at all be the same thing as me knowing you were correct.

Your angry hostile posts to the contrary not withstanding.

:lol: You're the only person I know who takes amusement as a synonym for anger and hostility :D

My suggestion: Try getting into a few more self defense situations. Then maybe you might not be so concerned about all those left and right side scenarios.

This is your suggestion? I find this very interesting coming from a very senior martial artist. In fact, most of the martial artists I know usually suggest trying to avoid situations where having to defend yourself is a possibility. But this new teaching of yours is truly amazing. Tell me more about it. Do you often suggest it to people who happen to disagree with you?

I did read up, and also spoke with people who worked for and under President Park, people like GM Ji and GM Park, as well as people who lived in Korea when he was President. Ask most south koreans and they will tell you that President Park was a good president, the best president. But I guess you know better than them, just like you know better than me.

All I've done is read up on Korean history and talk to people from that country who lived under Park's regime, too. Like I said, it's obvious that Park modernized Korea's economy which resulted in the country experiencing economic growth. That doesn't mean he wasn't a dictator though, as I thought would be obvious to someone like you who knows so much about Korea.

Maybe not General Choi though, who President Park made leave the country for several years. I do find it interesting that you object so much to President Park because you think of him as a dictator, and yet you train in a style that was created by a dictator (General Choi) who right before he died passed his organization to North Korea and North Korea's IOC member. How does that work?

It "works" by me finding the style Gen. Choi founded to be effective for self-defense, good for general physical fitness, and enjoyable to train in.

No, by all means be who you really are.

Thanks. For a minute there I thought you were going to turn into one of those people who don't like it when they can't answer a junior's question and just fall back on throwing out how senior they are and name dropping famous martial artists to try to intimidate people into not questioning them. It's a rather clumsy tactic but one not entirely unheard of in some martial arts circles.

Actually, I said I try to answer all questions posed to me. I can't be responsible for your reaction or rejection of my response. That's your problem, not mine. But it is kind of interesting that you want me to provide "evidence" to your satisfaction, but are unwilling or unable to do the same for me. In your philosophy class, what did they call it when someone does that?

Fair enough about you "trying" to answer questions. But yes, I raterh do expect evidence when someone makes an assertion that I happen to disagree with if they want me to take seriously their claim.

As for me not providing evidence, I am unsure of what claims I have made that you have asked evidence for that I haven't provided. Please link the specific posts you have in mind, or simply cut and paste the quotes where I have made claims and you have asked for evidence. Thanks.

I'm not worried. You do what you have to do and be who you really are.

:lol: See, you're lightening up already, brother.

I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion. Most people complied willingly and freely. The ones that didn't, at least the USTU types, were defiant or rebellious not with the program types who did really negative things, which caused a lot of people to suffer. But I guess you don't really care about that, since you always ignore that point.

I don't doubt the people who complied did it willingly. I mean, after all, what could you have done to "force" them to not to? That being said, many people often willingly engage in behavior that is childish.

Actually I never did that. You did, in assuming that President Park ordered Korean born ITF members to join Kukki Taekwondo. I think President Park was concerned about bigger things than General Choi.

You compared yourself to the WTF and the Korean government intimidating ITF instructors, I didn't (but intimidation of Korean ex-pats by the KCIA isn't exactly news). If you want to say that the Korean government did that without Park's OK, that's your business. That's a stretch IMHO.

That is Dakin's story. But as usual, Dakin is misinformed. If you want, we can go through some of his article and point out all the errors. But what would be the point. No one takes his article seriously, not since the Modern History translation came out.

Oh, Modern History is interesting, I grant you that. I just wish the translators saw fit to include all the footnotes and references because, as it is, the English translation is completely undocumented. Pity, that.

I do is tell the truth, which some people (including you) consider insulting.

Oh, nonsense :lol: I have no problem with people telling the truth. I don't find that insulting in the least. It's your belittling attitude that I don't like (and, to be honest I don't even find it "insulting" I find it a reason to feel sorry for you). There's a difference between those two things, Glenn ;)

Actually I think it is a pretty big list that has lots of people on it that don't have to worry about posting anywhere I or my seniors don't want them to.

Thankfully they have someone like you controlling them ... I mean looking out for them ;)

In fact, the overwhelming majority always felt like that, since it was no big deal to not post on DD. I am actually quite surprised at how many people read the list and/or forward them on to others, both nationally and internationally. Just recently I was told that the US National Poomsae Team were talking about the info on the list at the World Poomsae Championships.

Cool.

I wish I could say the same for you and your behavior.

:lol: Yes, I bet you do ;) Keep that sense of humor, brother.

Which one or two publications do you consider to be serious academic journals? I ask because I don't see any. And dakin's taken care of himself by fading off.

Actually, I said there is "only one or perhaps two publications that even approach anything like a serious academic journal for martial arts." That's different from them being serious academic journals.

Didn't forget, just didn't want to include parts that obviously is false. That's not a reason to get kicked off tkd net, anymore than asking one or two questions would be.

"Obviously false"? Heh, well if you say so. Pesonally I find it more and more believable as time passes ;)

Granted it's not a hanging offense like posting to another internet list :lol: That would be serious!

Most of the people who got kicked off of tkd net got taken off because the list members got tired of their BS, and when they left, we actively encouraged them to join DD. And Ray Terry, in his infinite foolishness, gladly took them in, thinking that every once in a while, he could count on them to flame me. But what he didn't realize was that those people had problems over and above that small benefit to him.

Let us grant the veracity of this claim for the sake of argument :)

How is what you did fitting behavior for a martial artist, especially one as senior such as yourself? Just curious.

Funny but that is exactly what someone said I was doing with you, giving you enough rope.

I don't doubt this at all ;)

Yeah, General Choi already blew the lid off that one when he claimed Taekwondo was founded in April 1955, which was false by the way.

:lol:

Try reading your posts. You sound really angry and upset, which goes back to that clear pattern that DD types go through after they run out of stuff to come back with in their discussions with me. they go for the personal attack, throwing everything including the kitchen sink at me, in the hopes some of it sticks. But like I said, keep going, you make my point for me, in spite of your denials to the contrary.

Oh, I did go back and reread my posts. I don't think they come off angry or upset, but one of the problems with internet communication is people tend to read into a post what they want to or what they personally feel. Which is one of the reasons why I try to use emoticons to indicate how humorous I find many of the things you say :)

You're Ray Terry's brother, not mine.

:lol: Odd since we've probably had as much intereaction now that Ray and I did since I signed up for the DD in '98 or '99.

By the way, someone told me you are 29 years old and don't have a school of your own. Is that true? If so, that explains a lot. Feel free to ignore the questions if it makes you concerned or otherwise uncomfortable.

:lol: No, I'm not 29. I am not currently teaching at my own school since I'm working and in a doctoral program and raising a family. Still get in training three times a week, but I do miss teaching.

I'm sure you have a taught at your own school for many, many years which has given you a lot of insight such as the good advice you gave me about seking out more self defense situations, though. I grant you my not teaching at my own school for several years probably is what makes me a bit confused about the wisdom of that bit of advice ;)

Peace, brother.

Chris

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Chrispillertkd and puunui, would you PLEASE take your argument elsewhere? The OP was an interesting topic, and I, for one, am sick of having to wade through your exchanges to find relevant posts.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Please return to the original topic.

jks9199
Super Moderator

job

White Belt
Reaction score
Versatility on both sides should be taught when practicing kata I always felt that you should practice both sides until I realized that kata was actually teaching this. What appears to be right handed is not always the case. After listening to my long term instructors reasoning I understood.Your body instinctively maneuvers to positions to limit your chance of being hurt and positions itself for potential attack. By practicing moves that are contrary to your natural reaction, you tend to slow yourself down, even if it is a fraction of your natural speed, it can put you in danger of a counter attack and limit your natural action for attack.

xfighter88

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I would say that you will always have a side that you prefer. That being said, I don't see any advantage to not taking the time to get compitent on your weaker side. In competition you will have more tactics and weapons to throw at your opponent. When it comes to self defense you better be able to fight from everywhere including a neutral stance.

In general people don't like working on what they are bad at. It is tough on the ego. That's why you will see guys with huge arms benchpressing but they still have chicken legs because they don't like working their little skinny legs.

Latest Discussions