Equalize Sides or Not?

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
That doesn't exactly qualify you as Nostrodamus. What surprised me was that for about 15 minutes things looked like they wouldn't fall apart.

You don't need to be nostrodamus. that's the thing.

If you can't see this distinction there isn't much I can do about it on an internet forum.

ok.

Your rather crass example not withstanding, I don't think I said anything about "worrying." You can be prepared for many things without being worried they will or will not happen. Likewise, you can be prepared for a few things and not worried about whether or not something you're unprepared for happens. Those are just states of mind. They do not necessarily impact what actually happens in reality.

If you don't like that example, then choose another. Board breaking. Testing. Competing at a tournament. competing for a national team spot. being a center referee. public speaking. whatever. It really doesn't matter because the process is the same. The less we know, the less experience we have, the more "concerned" we are with uncertainty. The first time you do anything it people naturally get nervous because they don't know what to expect. So the natural inclination is to over concern ourselves with what can go wrong. But if you do it a few times and those fears subside.

And if you don't like the word "worry" then substitute your word "concern". Same thing from my perspective. as for states of mind, again from my perspective, the more experience, the less worrying, or as you would say less "concern" about what will or won't happen. your state of mind changes with experience. that's all. you are free to disagree.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
The less we know, the less experience we have, the more "concerned" we are with uncertainty. The first time you do anything it people naturally get nervous because they don't know what to expect. So the natural inclination is to over concern ourselves with what can go wrong.

Not necessarily. The reaction will depend on the person. I know some people who are nervous when doing something for the first time and others who are very easy going when doing something new. Some students, for instance, get very nervous when trying to break for the first time, for example. Then again, I've seen some white belts jump right in and break on their first attempt with no concern or worry at all.

your state of mind changes with experience. that's all. you are free to disagree.

Gee. Thanks. :lol:

But your painting everyone as being the same is simply not accurate. People react differently to new things depending on their personalities, the circumstances they find themselves in at the time, etc. To say that everyone is "worried" or "concerned" or anything else the first time they do something is simply not accurate.

Pax,

Chris

Last edited:

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
But your painting everyone as being the same is simply not accurate. People react differently to new things depending on their personalities, the circumstances they find themselves in at the time, etc. To say that everyone is "worried" or "concerned" or anything else the first time they do something is simply not accurate.

I'm not painting anything. But hey, if you want to point out the exception to the general rule, that is your business. What I am saying is that with experience, come less "concerns". Maybe the fact that you have so many concerns at the moment is preventing you from seeing that. Maybe you feel "attacked" and obligated to "defend" yourself with things that you don't really believe. I don't know. What I do know is that we can only understand what we are ready to understand, if you know what I mean. :)

What I will say, again, is that if being "well rounded" whatever that means (I asked and you never responded) is important to you, then go ahead and train both sides. Like I said before, it's nice, but not necessary, at least from my perspective and in my opinion. If you don't like that, then ok.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
What I will say, again, is that if being "well rounded" whatever that means (I asked and you never responded) is important to you, then go ahead and train both sides. Like I said before, it's nice, but not necessary, at least from my perspective and in my opinion. If you don't like that, then ok.

The short of it is, you could find yourself in a position where it is neccecary for your weak side to be good.

If you don`t like that, then ok. ;)

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not painting anything. But hey, if you want to point out the exception to the general rule, that is your business. What I am saying is that with experience, come less "concerns". Maybe the fact that you have so many concerns at the moment is preventing you from seeing that. Maybe you feel "attacked" and obligated to "defend" yourself with things that you don't really believe. I don't know. What I do know is that we can only understand what we are ready to understand, if you know what I mean. :)

Glenn, you're so funny. I spent about 15 minutes reading posts in the archives from the Dojang Digest last night by people who had the pleasure of interacting with you on tkdnet. The highlighted statement above really demonstrates that things haven't changed for you ;)

What you asked me was: "And what is a well rounded martial artist and why is it important to be one?" I thought for sure that someone with the amount of time you've had in the martial arts would at least have some inclination about what a well rounded martial artist is. Besides, if I give you an answer you'd probably just tell me "that's exactly the kind of thing Ray Terry would say!" and then accuse me of lying about something again :lol:

Pax,

Chris

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Putting aside issues of neccessity for combat / SD what might be available or injury,

I have always found martial arts to be about challenging myself and attempting to meet that challenge. Toward that end, making my weaker side become as good as the stronger side has been part of my personal challenge.

I would expect that for many what they try to achieve in MA is vastly different, particularly, as we have seen the issue about what is oer what is not a MA is hotly debated.

scottie

Green Belt
Reaction score
Or do you think it is fine to have a 'power' side as long as the other limb(s) are developed to a reasonable level as well?
I think the bold is key I should because of my Isshinryu training say no both side must be equal. I punch better right sided and kick better left sided (for lack of better word) I train on all sides My weak hand and foot maybe a little more, but the truth for me is my strong side has always been strong and my weak side has always been not as strong. It still works. Just not as strong.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Putting aside issues of neccessity for combat / SD what might be available or injury, I have always found martial arts to be about challenging myself and attempting to meet that challenge. Toward that end, making my weaker side become as good as the stronger side has been part of my personal challenge.

I don't disagree with you. For kicking and punching, I practice both sides almost every training session. I think everyone's goal, at least for striking, is to equalize both sides, which I don't think ever happens. But still I believe it is most people's goal. I also practice steps and movements in all directions. I think in weight lifting and strength exercises, it is important to work both sides equally. Otherwise you end up like that guy in the M. Night Shalaman movie girl in the water, with one huge arm and one regular arm.

But for self defense, or "combat", I have a different opinion, which has evolved over the years. When I was younger, I wanted every weapon I had to be as strong as possible.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Glenn, you're so funny. I spent about 15 minutes reading posts in the archives from the Dojang Digest last night by people who had the pleasure of interacting with you on tkdnet. The highlighted statement above really demonstrates that things haven't changed for you ;)

Yeah, with DD people like yourself, our exchange has shown that there is a fairly predictable pattern that emerges. A topic comes up, and a DD guy and I have a discussion. After a certain point, the DD guy runs out of things to say (google searches become unfruitful), while I keep adding more facts from personal experience and research which go unanswered and undisputed by the DD guy. The DD guy, feeling a need to keep up with the conversation, starts attacking me personally, trying to convince everyone that somehow I am a bad guy, and you can feel the hatred in every post after that. Generally, this happens with DD guys who who tend to be lower ranked, less experienced big fishes in their small pond. After a few more exchanges with you on different topics, people will see the pattern.

What you asked me was: "And what is a well rounded martial artist and why is it important to be one?" I thought for sure that someone with the amount of time you've had in the martial arts would at least have some inclination about what a well rounded martial artist is. Besides, if I give you an answer you'd probably just tell me "that's exactly the kind of thing Ray Terry would say!" and then accuse me of lying about something again :lol:

If that is your concern, then don't answer. No one is forcing you to do anything.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
In the BTCB syllabus it's even specified that you have to defend against both. I'd find it weird that anyone would only practice one step sparring against one hand...

Originally, five, three and one step sparring was done right hand first, in recognition of the fact that the most common attack one would face would be a right hand punch. And the reason why it was five, three and one, vs. one two three step, is because they wanted to end up with the right hand punch to defend and counter.

In taekwondo, we defended against the right hand punch and right leg kick, and never did both in step sparring. In Shotokan, our one step sparring was only done against a right hand punch. Even in Hapkido, GM CHOI Yong Sul taught that the students would practice the grab defenses only on one side because from his perspective, practicing both at the same time would lead to confusion in the student's mind.

Many of the techniques lend itself to only one side training anyway. The left hand grabbing the right wrist, which is generally the first hold Hapkido students learn, is a defense against someone trying to stop you from drawing your sword. In Japan, everyone only used their right hand to draw their sword, so if you wanted to stop that, you would grab their right wrist. There were no left handed swordsmen in Japan and if their were, it would be an extremely rare case.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, with DD people like yourself, our exchange has shown that there is a fairly predictable pattern that emerges. A topic comes up, and a DD guy and I have a discussion.

Heh, of that I have little doubt. The pattern usually went something like this: A member of the DD signed up for tkdnet and then was banned for continuing to post on the DD.

After a certain point, the DD guy runs out of things to say (google searches become unfruitful), while I keep adding more facts from personal experience and research which go unanswered and undisputed by the DD guy. The DD guy, feeling a need to keep up with the conversation, starts attacking me personally, trying to convince everyone that somehow I am a bad guy, and you can feel the hatred in every post after that.

None of which has happened here, but that is an interesting story :) I'm sure you believe it, too :)

Generally, this happens with DD guys who who tend to be lower ranked, less experienced big fishes in their small pond. After a few more exchanges with you on different topics, people will see the pattern.

:lol: Yes, I'm sure people are beginning to see a pattern emerge even as we speak :) Perhaps not the pattern you have in mind, but a pattern none the less.

If that is your concern, then don't answer. No one is forcing you to do anything.

Exactly. But you were the one who asked me the question about being a well rounded martial artist. Then you brought it up again when I didn't answer it in the first place. If I feel like answering something in a post I generally do so. As I said before, I figured you already knew what a well rounded martial artist was since you're so senior. You certainly don't need any input from people like me :D

Pax,

Chris

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
The pattern usually went something like this: A member of the DD signed up for tkdnet and then was banned for continuing to post on the DD.

And that worked so well, DD is no longer around. :) Boycotts are nothing new. The WTF did the same thing to the ITF's Korean born instructors stationed around the world. The Korean government told all of the instructors if you don't switch to the WTF, then we are going to cancel your visa and you have to come back to Korea. Most switched, the only ones not switching were those living in countries with very liberal immigration policies, like Canada. Same thing with USAT, there is a huge boycott over what is going on, and the organization is crippled.

None of which has happened here, but that is an interesting story :) I'm sure you believe it, too :)

If you say so. We'll let people on this board decide.

Yes, I'm sure people are beginning to see a pattern emerge even as we speak :) Perhaps not the pattern you have in mind, but a pattern none the less.

again, if you say so. There have been some good discussions on here that I have participated in and I think they appreciate the information that they can't really get doing google searches.

Exactly. But you were the one who asked me the question about being a well rounded martial artist. Then you brought it up again when I didn't answer it in the first place. If I feel like answering something in a post I generally do so. As I said before, I figured you already knew what a well rounded martial artist was since you're so senior. You certainly don't need any input from people like me :D

I have a perspective on what a well rounded martial artist is and whether it is important or not to be one, but I wanted to hear your opinion on it to compare. If you are concerned about the discussion going someplace that you don't want to go to, then don't answer. Personally, I try to answer all questions posed to me, just like in class, but then that is just me. You may have a different perspective and only want to answer those in which you feel comfortable.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
And that worked so well, DD is no longer around. :) Boycotts are nothing new. The WTF did the same thing to the ITF's Korean born instructors stationed around the world. The Korean government told all of the instructors if you don't switch to the WTF, then we are going to cancel your visa and you have to come back to Korea. Most switched, the only ones not switching were those living in countries with very liberal immigration policies, like Canada. Same thing with USAT, there is a huge boycott over what is going on, and the organization is crippled.

So your "boycott" of the DD was integral to it being closed? Very interesting. I'd like to see any evidence of that as I was surprised when it closed. Maybe you were effective in your aim to get Ray's list offline. Please, by all means, if you have evidence that your policy was what closed the DD share it with me. (Consider this a question posed to you, since you said below that you try to answer all such queries.)

Your use of the Korean government telling ITF instructors to join the WTF "or else" is interesting, though, I grant you. The ROK government was a dictatorship at the time, after all...

again, if you say so. There have been some good discussions on here that I have participated in and I think they appreciate the information that they can't really get doing google searches.

I'm sure. Of course we don't have to worry about you being banned if you choose to post on another board so you can post to your heart's content :)

I have a perspective on what a well rounded martial artist is and whether it is important or not to be one, but I wanted to hear your opinion on it to compare.

Yes, I'm sure you're very interesting in my opinion on that and many topics :lol:

If you are concerned about the discussion going someplace that you don't want to go to, then don't answer. Personally, I try to answer all questions posed to me, just like in class, but then that is just me. You may have a different perspective and only want to answer those in which you feel comfortable.

Your method of offering backhanded insults to people while demonstrating how open-minded you are is truly impressive ;)

Pax,

Chris

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
So your "boycott" of the DD was integral to it being closed? Very interesting. I'd like to see any evidence of that as I was surprised when it closed.

I don't know if our boycott was integral in it being closed or not, but it certainly helped. And the fact of the matter is, it is gone isn't it? It certainly cut down on taekwondo discussions and turned it into a mainly hapkido discussion place, specifically a USKMAF discussion board. But the problem with that is, it is hard to sustain a discussion forum talking only about Hapkido, because there isn't enough going on. Look at the Hapkido forum on MT. There is a seminar once in a while, but for the most part Hapkido practitioners stay in their dojang and do not venture out as much as Taekwondo practitioners. Also, there are much less Hapkido practitioners. You can go check DD archives if you want "evidence".

Your use of the Korean government telling ITF instructors to join the WTF "or else" is interesting, though, I grant you. The ROK government was a dictatorship at the time, after all...

Boycotts happen in the US all the time. Right to life types boycotting or protesting an abortion clinic, or groups boycotting products in which companies conduct animal testing, or that sort of thing. The biggest boycott are elections. If you don't like what your elected official is doing, then boycott his policies and vote for the other guy.

One by product of our boycott was that it was very effective in rooting out and red flagging potentially negative members of the USTU. Most active USTU members had no problems honoring our boycott of DD because it wasn't much of a forum for Kukki Taekwondo, USTU or WTF information or topics. We had and still have that demographic. But the ones who thumbed their noses at the boycott or attempted to do what you are doing and make me out to be the bad guy, sooner or later they tried to do the same thing to the organization. It happened time and time again. My seniors commented about how clear the correlation was between a USTU member posting on DD and their subsequent negative behavior in the USTU. And it was always lower ranked, less experienced juniors doing it. USTU seniors never posted on DD.

I'm sure. Of course we don't have to worry about you being banned if you choose to post on another board so you can post to your heart's content :)

And we have tkd net members posting here all the time. But if you feel so strongly about me boycotting the now dead DD, then by all means, start your own list and ban me.

Yes, I'm sure you're very interesting in my opinion on that and many topics :lol: [/quote]

Your method of offering backhanded insults to people while demonstrating how open-minded you are is truly impressive ;)

Take it any way you want. I can't control your perception or reaction to what I write. I do think it is humorous that the sole focus of your posts now is venting your anger and hostility at me. that's pretty typical of what happens to a DD guy when they have nothing left to discuss and no more points to make in response to my posts. I mean, you are done discussing the topic at hand, right?

I think it is also funny that while your nose is obviously all out of joint, your senior Earl Weiss, whose post you plagerized as your own recently (a DD member trait by the way), has once again extended his ten year open invitation to dinner the next time I am in Chicago. Like attracts like, while opposites tend to repel.

The bottom line is, in my opinion, and also in the opinion of my teachers and teacher's teachers, in Taekwondo, Hapkido and other martial arts as well, equalization is nice, go ahead if you want that, but it isn't necessary. For example, if you want to do one step sparring on both sides, then go for it. No one is stopping you. However, GM LEE Won Kuk did it only on one side, and he did his mainly to teach sparring, which is how he learned it in Japan at the Shotokan. Your instructor does it on both sides, and therefore so do you. Fine. Does that pretty much sum it up?

Last edited:

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know if our boycott was integral in it being closed or not, but it certainly helped. And the fact of the matter is, it is gone isn't it?

Yes the DD is gone but you more than implied you had something to do with it. I asked you for evidence of this and you produce ... the fact that it's gone, and say that you don't know. In other words, you don't know and just used this as another opportunity to impugne Ray Terry and try to build yourself up in the process.

It certainly cut down on taekwondo discussions and turned it into a mainly hapkido discussion place, specifically a USKMAF discussion board. But the problem with that is, it is hard to sustain a discussion forum talking only about Hapkido, because there isn't enough going on. Look at the Hapkido forum on MT. There is a seminar once in a while, but for the most part Hapkido practitioners stay in their dojang and do not venture out as much as Taekwondo practitioners. Also, there are much less Hapkido practitioners. You can go check DD archives if you want "evidence".

Since I Was a subscriber to the DD until it went off line I can simply say that this is not accurate. The DD, like other interenet digests and BBS, went through phases of what was posted about and what wasn't. I certainly don't recall the TKD discussions being greatly reduced. But granting that for the sake of argument they were, can you provide evidence that such was a result of your boycott? I mean if it was effective you'd have some way of knowing that, right?

Boycotts happen in the US all the time...

Oh, sure. But you used as your example a "boycott" from the ROK when it was under a dictatorship and that included intimidation from the KCIA as an example of what you were doing. Since you're so senior and an the know I'm sure you knew about the kind of things that were going on in the "boycott" you mentioned and found them to be an apt comparison with your own behavior.

And we have tkd net members posting here all the time. But if you feel so strongly about me boycotting the now dead DD, then by all means, start your own list and ban me.

Of course there are tkdnet members posting here. The mods on MT aren't childish. They wouldn't ban someone simply for posting somewher else.

As for how I feel about you and starting my own list, the very idea is absurd. It's the kind of thing only a person who would ban someone for posting on another list would do.

Take it any way you want. I can't control your perception or reaction to what I write. I do think it is humorous that the sole focus of your posts now is venting your anger and hostility at me. that's pretty typical of what happens to a DD guy when they have nothing left to discuss and no more points to make in response to my posts. I mean, you are done discussing the topic at hand, right?

Anotehr great exmaple of you insulting me for specifically addressing your posts to me. Why wouldn't I reply to you? If you had given any sort of input to the original topic as they related to my posts I'd reply to that (like I did to the first one or two of your replies). But by all means, simply project your behavior onto me. It's very humorous to see :)

I think it is also funny that while your nose is obviously all out of joint, your senior Earl Weiss, whose post you plagerized as your own recently (a DD member trait by the way), has once again extended his ten year open invitation to dinner the next time I am in Chicago. Like attracts like, while opposites tend to repel.

I think it's great that Master Weiss has invited you to dinner for 10 years. When you get around to taking him up on the offer I'm sure he will be a gentleman.

I would be very interested in seeing which of his posts I plagarized, however. Please feel free to post a link to it so I can see what you're referring to. Consider this a question to you since you always try to answer questions people ask you. Thanks in advance.

The bottom line is, in my opinion, and also in the opinion of my teachers and teacher's teachers, in Taekwondo, Hapkido and other martial arts as well, equalization is nice, go ahead if you want that, but it isn't necessary. For example, if you want to do one step sparring on both sides, then go for it. No one is stopping you. However, GM LEE Won Kuk did it only on one side, and he did his mainly to teach sparring, which is how he learned it in Japan at the Shotokan. Your instructor does it on both sides, and therefore so do you. Fine. Does that pretty much sum it up?

I'm glad to see you have returned to the original topic. Yes, that about sums up your position on the topic from what I can see.

Pax,

Chris

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes the DD is gone but you more than implied you had something to do with it. I asked you for evidence of this and you produce ... the fact that it's gone, and say that you don't know. In other words, you don't know and just used this as another opportunity to impugne Ray Terry and try to build yourself up in the process.

Again, this is off topic, and the moderator already said to keep to topic in another discussion.

But I don't need to build myself up using DD; being associated with DD brings people down. As for evidence, go read the archives if you want. I told you the evidence. If you don't accept that, frankly that is your problem. Or better yet, produce evidence that tkd net didn't have an impact on DD going down.

Since I Was a subscriber to the DD until it went off line I can simply say that this is not accurate.

Where is your evidence? :)

The DD, like other interenet digests and BBS, went through phases of what was posted about and what wasn't. I certainly don't recall the TKD discussions being greatly reduced. But granting that for the sake of argument they were, can you provide evidence that such was a result of your boycott? I mean if it was effective you'd have some way of knowing that, right?

I can use my perception of how the discussions went. If you disagree, then produce your evidence. Or not, if that causes you to be concerned. When did you join DD? Again, go look at the archives. If you want to produce evidence that my statement is incorrect, then go knock yourself out. It doesn't mean all that much to me, especially since DD is gone now and their Taekwondo discussions at this point is zero. One problem that you may have in producing your "evidence" is the fact that Ray Terry deleted the early years, so you can't really make an accurate assessment.

Oh, sure. But you used as your example a "boycott" from the ROK when it was under a dictatorship and that included intimidation from the KCIA as an example of what you were doing. Since you're so senior and an the know I'm sure you knew about the kind of things that were going on in the "boycott" you mentioned and found them to be an apt comparison with your own behavior.

I guess that makes me a bad guy, doesn't it?

Of course there are tkdnet members posting here. The mods on MT aren't childish. They wouldn't ban someone simply for posting somewher else.

the point I was making was that tkd net isn't boycotting MT or any other list. Just Ray Terry and DD, which is now gone.

But Ok, so from your perspective, anytime anyone wants to boycott something, they get judged "childish" by you. Got it.

As for how I feel about you and starting my own list, the very idea is absurd. It's the kind of thing only a person who would ban someone for posting on another list would do.

I don't understand that point, since people start their own forums all the time. How do you feel about Ray Terry banning me from DD when I told him I would stop posting on DD because he would edit my posts without my permission before submitting it to the list? Because that is exactly what happened. As for me starting tkd net, I wasn't the founder of it, that was Dev. I did take it over after about ten years when she wanted to get out of taekwondo.

Anotehr great exmaple of you insulting me for specifically addressing your posts to me. Why wouldn't I reply to you? If you had given any sort of input to the original topic as they related to my posts I'd reply to that (like I did to the first one or two of your replies). But by all means, simply project your behavior onto me. It's very humorous to see :)

Why wouldn't you reply? I thought you already told us that you would choose the questions you would respond to and ignore the rest. That's your position, what you stated. But feel free to attack me and try to make me out to be the bad guy.

I think it's great that Master Weiss has invited you to dinner for 10 years. When you get around to taking him up on the offer I'm sure he will be a gentleman.

I should be in PA sometime next year. Maybe I will show up to your class, if you have one. Maybe I will bring GM Ji with me.

I would be very interested in seeing which of his posts I plagarized, however.

the one about what makes a great student. I don't know how to post a link to that.

I'm glad to see you have returned to the original topic.

I was always on topic; you are the one who keeps trying to take it off, with your DD defense and all, as well as the well rounded martial artist thing, and others.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Again, this is off topic, and the moderator already said to keep to topic in another discussion.

Interesting. I was replying to your statement about boycotting the DD. So is it my answer that is off topic, or your original post? Or is it OK when you post something off topic but it's not OK for me to do so?

But I don't need to build myself up using DD; being associated with DD brings people down. As for evidence, go read the archives if you want. I told you the evidence. If you don't accept that, frankly that is your problem. Or better yet, produce evidence that tkd net didn't have an impact on DD going down.

BUt you haven't told me any evidence. You said you boycotted the DD but even you admitted that "I don't know if our boycott was integral in it being closed or not, but it certainly helped. And the fact of the matter is, it is gone isn't it?" That's not evidence, it's an assertion. I am interested in seeing evidence that your boycott influenced the closing of the DD at all (whether integrally or otherwise) since what you're doing now is implying that simply because the DD closed at some later date than you instituted your cross-posting ban it was at least partially responsible. All you've done is engage in post hoc ergo propter hoc.

Where is your evidence? :)

As was evident from the part of my reply that you happened to edit out, I stated that according to me recollection there was no great reduction in TKD discussions, contrary to your claims. I also stated: "But granting that for the sake of argument they were, can you provide evidence that such was a result of your boycott? I mean if it was effective you'd have some way of knowing that, right?"

As is clear, my question was towards your claim at being involved in shutting down the DD. I'm just interested in seeing the evidence you have to make such a claim.

I can use my perception of how the discussions went. If you disagree, then produce your evidence. Or not, if that causes you to be concerned. When did you join DD? Again, go look at the archives. If you want to produce evidence that my statement is incorrect, then go knock yourself out. It doesn't mean all that much to me, especially since DD is gone now and their Taekwondo discussions at this point is zero. One problem that you may have in producing your "evidence" is the fact that Ray Terry deleted the early years, so you can't really make an accurate assessment.

So, in answer to my question about your evidence about your boycott being effective you tell me to produce evidence that it wasn't? That's a fantastic job of shifting the burden of proof. Unless you're interested in having a defensible position, that is :lol:

I guess that makes me a bad guy, doesn't it?

It makes you a guys who is comfortable with comparing his behavior to that of a dictator. Whether it makes you a bad guy or not I cannot say. The only thing I have to draw conclusions from about you is your own behavior.

the point I was making was that tkd net isn't boycotting MT or any other list. Just Ray Terry and DD, which is now gone.

And my point was it would be childish for the MT owners to ban people simply because they posted on another board.

But Ok, so from your perspective, anytime anyone wants to boycott something, they get judged "childish" by you. Got it.

Not at all. Nowhere did I imply that "anytime" someone boycots something they are childish. My comments were very specific to what they referred.

I don't understand that point, since people start their own forums all the time.

It was an easy point to understand if you took the time to read it. You said, "But if you feel so strongly about me boycotting the now dead DD, then by all means, start your own list and ban me."

The very idea that I would start a list of my own simply to ban you is hysterical. It's on a par with someone banning people because they posted on another list in its childishness :lol:

How do you feel about Ray Terry banning me from DD when I told him I would stop posting on DD because he would edit my posts without my permission before submitting it to the list? Because that is exactly what happened. As for me starting tkd net, I wasn't the founder of it, that was Dev. I did take it over after about ten years when she wanted to get out of taekwondo.

Interesting. Let's let the members of the DD speak to this, shall we?

Dakin Burdik:

"Glenn's claim that his post on Dojang_Digest was changed is a
new one. He got kicked off the list for insulting other
members of the list (me and Ray, actually). To my knowledge,
his post was never changed, and I believe he would have mentioned
it in the multitude of flames he sent me in the year following
this event. Glenn definitely shows innae (perseverance) but
needs to work on ye ui (courtesy)."

(Interstingly, Dakin also takes up the topic of whether or not he "admitted" to you there were errors in his paper on the history of TKD, which you posted about on here earlier:

For those of you who have read Glenn saying that even Dakin
admits errors in his history, yes, there is a mistake in my
on line version, but is relatively minor and will be corrected
in my next version. For the most part, I stand behind my history,
which is available at:

http://www.indiana.edu/~iutkd/info/faqcell.html

If you have any questions about tkd or hkd history, please feel
free to email me at [email protected])

Also interestingly, Ray Terry said this:

"Glenn, I cannot honestly say that I am sorry for having to remove you from the_dojang ~3 years ago. Your behavior forced me to do that and I hope you now understand that.

However, I -am- sorry for some of the things I said to you in private email
shortly after that happened. We were both rather hot then. I have
apologized for it before and I do it again. That was ~3 long years ago,
isn't it time to move on? Life is just too short to carry those kinds of
feelings for all these years.

Perhaps we can never be friends again, but at least we don't have to be
enemies..."

As for how you treat people:

"I have been told not to post on the DD which is only for low rank whiners who have nothing but negative ambitions for the new national TKD federation. Then I was kicked off the other list for requesting additional reasoning for why or how this would be helpful."

I could go on, but why?

Why wouldn't you reply? I thought you already told us that you would choose the questions you would respond to and ignore the rest. That's your position, what you stated. But feel free to attack me and try to make me out to be the bad guy.

Well, no. As I stated before "If you had given any sort of input to the original topic as they related to my posts I'd reply to that (like I did to the first one or two of your replies)."

I should be in PA sometime next year. Maybe I will show up to your class, if you have one. Maybe I will bring GM Ji with me.

:lol:

I'm sorry, this just strikes me as being very funny. Are you looking for a free dinner from me? Or is this a martial-arts-movie-esque-veiled-threat? :lol:

the one about what makes a great student. I don't know how to post a link to that.

Ah, yes. I'll address that post immediately following this. Hold tight.

I was always on topic; you are the one who keeps trying to take it off, with your DD defense and all, as well as the well rounded martial artist thing, and others.

:lol: It's good to see you have a sense of humor, Glenn! :lol:

Pax,

Chris

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score

Glenn, here's a direct link to the post in which you accuse me of plagarizing Master Weiss (when you said: "I think it is also funny that while your nose is obviously all out of joint, your senior Earl Weiss, whose post you plagerized as your own recently (a DD member trait by the way), has once again extended his ten year open invitation to dinner the next time I am in Chicago"):

http://martialtalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1343159&postcount=7

As you can see, my post consisted of me saying:

There are many things that go into being a good student. I would say that the most important one is this: "Never tire of learning. A good student can learn anywhere, any time. This is the secret of knowledge."

Conversely, a good teacher is one who can, amongst other things, "Never tire of teaching. A good instructor can teach anywhere, any time, and always be ready to answer questions.

You can see, first of all, how I put parts of my answer in quotation marks, the clear sign that I am attributing that portion of my answer to someone else.

Master Weiss later replied to my post by saying: "Hmmmmm, sounds familiar, like I [h]eard or read it before:)"

Now, let's remember that "to plagarize" is "to steal or pass off (the ideas or words of another) as one's own: use (another's production) without crediting the source."

First off, I'd say that the use of quotation marks inmy original post makes it obvious that I was not trying to "steal or pass off" anyone else's ideas or words as my own. They were quotes, after all :)

Secondly, from Master Weiss' reaction you can see that he wasn't exactly put off by my posting what with the smiley emoticon and all. Not exactly the reaction one would expect from someone who is being plagarized.

Thirdly, I did leave out the person's name I was quoting from and this was done intentionally because I wanted to see if anyone identified the source. Obviously Master Weiss did (and, in retrospect, I'd be surprised if he hadn't ;) ). I suppose you could consider this plagarism since I didn't "credit the source." This not being a university class or doctoral dissertation (plagarism being dealt with in academia for the most part, as well as with published works of fiction, etc.) I didn't really think it a big deal :lol:

Fourthly, I thought for sure that the source of the quotes in my original post would be obvious for someone as senior and well connected as you in all things TKD. I mean, it's not like Gen. Choi isn't well known even in KKW/WTF circles.

As you can see calling my post "plagarism" is a stretch at best and you simply got it wrong when you attributed this "plagarism" to being of Master Weiss. It was simply a direct quote of Gen. Choi's Sajeji Do, which Master Weiss recognized immediately. The idea that I was trying to pass off any words or ideas as my own, even when you thought they belonged to Master Weiss, is simply ridiculous given the fact that I was quoting them :lol:

Have a nice night, Glenn.

Pax,

Chris

Latest Discussions